Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Butthead said:
Guess we'll have to wait and see when someone opens up the case, but the C2D MBP appears to have no internal revisions, so the GPU should be running at the same clock as before. I suppose they could have tweaked the firmware/software that monitors internal temps to run the fan sooner, such that a higher clock could work, but other than that, if there has been nothing doing internally, the GPU would be the same as before.

MacBook Pro owner notes on improved WoW performance using SMC Fan Control

see this page below for the two ATI utilities for setting/reading the GPU core/memory rates, varies from system to system what the reported values are:

Differences in ATI X1600 Clock speed in Macs vs PCs, Overclocking using ATITool in Win XP

Er, please go back and read this thread. The GPU has been changed - it's clocked higher.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
rhizomatic said:
Sorry if this has been posted before. But is there the option to do two finger right click on the new C2D MBPs? Basically, you put two fingers on the trackpad and the click button becomes a right click. I know this feature was on the Macbooks. But doesn't seem to exist on the old MBPs. You may need to enable it in the System preferences.

Just curious. This is one of my requirements to upgrade to the MBP.

Thanks
Yes, it does exist on the old MBPs. I used my friend's and it supported it just fine. Dunno what you were doing wrong. :confused:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
rhizomatic said:
Sorry if this has been posted before. But is there the option to do two finger right click on the new C2D MBPs? Basically, you put two fingers on the trackpad and the click button becomes a right click. I know this feature was on the Macbooks. But doesn't seem to exist on the old MBPs. You may need to enable it in the System preferences.

Just curious. This is one of my requirements to upgrade to the MBP.

Thanks

All the MBPs have this now, since 10.4.6 I believe.

rw1979

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
17"

I ordered my very first mac (a 17" macbook pro C2D) from Apple on the day they released it and the estimated shipping date is the 7th of Nov with a 15th Nov expected delivery date. Anyone here reckon that it'll ship from Cork in Ireland (where I am at present) rather than from China? I'm only wondering since Intel makes a load of chips here and I think Apple manufactures here too.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
This seems like a quality revision.

All the people who said a few months back they'd wait until the the second revision of the MBP/Powerbook replacement before ditching their Powerbooks will be all over this.

Maximus434

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
rw1979 said:
I ordered my very first mac (a 17" macbook pro C2D) from Apple on the day they released it and the estimated shipping date is the 7th of Nov with a 15th Nov expected delivery date. Anyone here reckon that it'll ship from Cork in Ireland (where I am at present) rather than from China? I'm only wondering since Intel makes a load of chips here and I think Apple manufactures here too.

Nope, not a chance. I'm from Dublin and ordered the 2.16GHz MBP 15 inch with glossy screen :)D) and rang apple yesterday to find out about shipping.

I was told that it is being built in China and supposedly it will be shipped from there. Although I thought all Macs bought in Europe came from Europe, so as we don't have to pay import duties.

I hope to god Apple doesn't expect us to pay any import charges.

rw1979

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Maximus434 said:
Nope, not a chance. I'm from Dublin and ordered the 2.16GHz MBP 15 inch with glossy screen :)D) and rang apple yesterday to find out about shipping.

I was told that it is being built in China and supposedly it will be shipped from there. Although I thought all Macs bought in Europe came from Europe, so as we don't have to pay import duties.

I hear ya on that one! I'm crossing fingers that they're being a little conservative on the dates. Seems crazy to me that they don't already have a stockpile of MP ready for shipping given the huge interest in them.
I had OSX running on my laptop for a brief time and I can't believe I'm actually going to be getting the real deal!

gkhaldi

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2005
S K Y said:
He's correct, no pinhole for the LED ! wonder if they did away with it or there is some other indicator now ! mabie a green halo around it :D

Ordered mine yesterday morning, says it will ship by Nov 8th :eek: has anyone else got late shipping times on the 17 inch model?

I think this will niceley replace my aging ti book 667 that i am using to type this. I wonder if i will notice a speed improvement?:rolleyes:

Same delivery times for Belgium (BTO with specs in my sign below)

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
rw1979 said:

i ordered a 17" too and mine is coming from China, i hope it will ship & be delivered early!!

I cant wait!! wish i has a local Apple Store

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
Maximus434 said:

When i bought my Powermac it was BTO in China then shipped to Central Europe then to me in UK!!

rhizomatic

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
killmoms said:
Yes, it does exist on the old MBPs. I used my friend's and it supported it just fine. Dunno what you were doing wrong. :confused:

Ok thanks. Last time I checked months ago at the Apple store it didn't seem to work on the MBPs they had on display. Must have been before a software update that enabled it.

I still have a powerbook so I was unaware that this feature had become available on older MBPs.

jmelrose

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2004
Orlando, FL
Anyone know if the Apple Stores will do a drive swap if I want to get the 200GB instead of the stock 160GB? They do RAM upgrades on-the-spot, don't they?

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
jmelrose said:
Anyone know if the Apple Stores will do a drive swap if I want to get the 200GB instead of the stock 160GB? They do RAM upgrades on-the-spot, don't they?

doubt they will do it "on the spot" - apparently it is a bit of a PITA

Tony Gambino

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
ATI X1600 core and mem in 20 Core 2 duo Imac overclocked by default?

I don't want to get off topic but want to ask this.

After reading here the ATI X1600 is underclocked in the Imacs and MBP I was curious to find out the core and mem clock speed for my Imac and found out its above standard 470/470. Its 475 Core and 500 Memory.

Is this possible?:confused:
Anybody else checked it out on the new standard 20 Imac Core 2 Duo with 128 ram?

Or is this app just inaccurate?

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
rhizomatic said:
Ok thanks. Last time I checked months ago at the Apple store it didn't seem to work on the MBPs they had on display. Must have been before a software update that enabled it.

I still have a powerbook so I was unaware that this feature had become available on older MBPs.

Well you are correct! As far as I know the early MBP models doesn't support the requested feature. But when they speedbumped the MBP ot so long ago they added the feature... I own one of the first models OF MBP's and it doesn't support it and I'm using 10.4.8 so...

But I think there is a third party app that lets you do the two-finger trick...

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
coreymcl said:
OK ao I know this is wishful think but the signs seem to point to this conclusion. I've had my MacBook Pro 2.16 w/100gb harddrive for about 3 months. About a mount ago now while on a trip it just died. Apple says they replaced the screen, harddrive and possiblely the mother board. So I picket it up after the work was completed and got home for a few days and noticed they bent the case just above the CD opening. Which causes problems incerting a CD or taking one out. So again I take it back to the Apple store. I was told they were going to order me a new one to replace this one.

So here's the date like, Oct 9th bent reported and new laptop ordered, Oct. 13th managment sign off on the replacement of my laptop. They tell me it could take 7 to 10 business days to come in. Well Oct 27th will be the day business day mark.

I told the laptop will be shipped directly from China to the Apple store. So I am holding my breath to see if I get a new 15" Mac Book Pro Core Duo 2 with atleast 100gb and 2GB of ram.

So what should I expect to recieve? One like I already have? Or since they changed the lines already to make the new ones, get a new Core Duo 2?

The waiting is keeping me.

Corey

According to some of the people in the old "MBP upgrade in photokina" they were able to get a hand on new C2D iMac when the one they ordered was CD. So juz keep ur fingers crossed. You would be able to get a refund anyway, like bcavanau here...

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
timmillwood said:
i ordered a 17" too and mine is coming from China, i hope it will ship & be delivered early!!

I cant wait!! wish i has a local Apple Store

How did you know it's coming from China?

skochan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
California
fukuhela said:
Well you are correct! As far as I know the early MBP models doesn't support the requested feature. But when they speedbumped the MBP ot so long ago they added the feature... I own one of the first models OF MBP's and it doesn't support it and I'm using 10.4.8 so...

I have one of the earlier MBPs (ordered the first day) and the feature is certainly supported.

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Dunepilot said:
This seems like a quality revision.

All the people who said a few months back they'd wait until the the second revision of the MBP/Powerbook replacement before ditching their Powerbooks will be all over this.

No revision number was mentioned, yeh?
What revision is this really anyway? I read somewhere it was Rev D I think

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
skochan said:
I have one of the earlier MBPs (ordered the first day) and the feature is certainly supported.
OK! My bad... I'll have to see into why mashine doesn't support it... It's probalbly just an error 40...

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
fukuhela said:
OK! My bad... I'll have to see into why mashine doesn't support it... It's probalbly just an error 40...

Yes indeed! Error 40 (the error was sitting 40 centimeters from the screen) which must translate into an error 15" in US terms.

tartansparkle

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
Scotland
21 more days to wait

Hey,

I ordered my C2D MBP 17" the moment the site went up here in the UK on Tuesday {I had been on it an hour before and it was offline and knew what was coming, so I hung around}. I too have a estimated ship date of 7th November with a delivery date of 14th November.

I agree with what was said earlier, I can't believe that Apple has not had some systems already in Europe ready to get "posted" out straight away! The wait for our C2D laptops has been a long and painful stretch {especially for those in here everyday listening to all the speculation} and now some of us have to wait another 21 days :mad:

Am I correct to assume that when Apple predicts these dates it quotes for shipping and delivery that they are almost always the case, i.e. it comes when they say it does and not a moment before?

Gheesh :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.