Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
bcrawf said:
Brian, thanks for the generous help. I'm wondering whether an 802.11n card in the MBP is all that is needed, or does the Airport base unit (or whatever one uses) have to have an 802.11n card in it also to get the boost that 802.11n offers?

Bob

You'd have to have an 802.11n router (and in these pre-N days, you'd specifically have to have a router compatible with the pre-N chipset used in the particular card being.

It's basically like with 802.11g....... you can only use 802.11g if the router supports it as well. Connect to an 802.11b base station and you'll just get 802.11b speeds and range.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
nick004 said:
Can someone please do some benchmarking? instead of wasting your time installing windows. I wanna see if the 39% claim is true, which has to be more important then whether it is pre-N or not

The 39% claim is "true", in that it is based on the results of SPECint_rate_base2000. That doesn't mean you're going to notice a real-world 39% boost in speed across the board, but you should notice better performance in things like rendering, intense calculations, etc.

iNev

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2005
tartansparkle said:
Hey,

I ordered my C2D MBP 17" the moment the site went up here in the UK on Tuesday {I had been on it an hour before and it was offline and knew what was coming, so I hung around}. I too have a estimated ship date of 7th November with a delivery date of 14th November.

Really? Wow, ordered mine this morning and I've been told 2nd November shipment and 9th November delivery to Edinburgh. Strange.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
iNev said:
Really? Wow, ordered mine this morning and I've been told 2nd November shipment and 9th November delivery to Edinburgh. Strange.

sure thats a 17"

15"s are about a week before 17"s

My 17" is shipping 7th and delivered 14th

iMatt89

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006
Hi

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but has anyopne in the uk been able to buy a new c2d macbook pro yet??????????

thanks

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
iMatt89 said:
Hi

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but has anyopne in the uk been able to buy a new c2d macbook pro yet??????????

thanks

i've bought one in UK, just gotta wait 3 weeks to get it!

keithos27

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
What to do on first boot?

Hi everyone. I'm about to get one of the new MBPs and I was wondering what is the best way to proceed with the laptop out of the box... Do I charge it first? Do I just turn it on? If I just turn it on, do I do with or without AC power? Do I drain the battery all the way first? Please advise.

Thanks,
Keith

SplinterCell

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
?

ccroo said:
Does the LCD have that uneven cloudy quality when it first starts up?

The 15" Core Duo LCD is not as bad but both have uneven backlighting -- bright at center and darker at corners with a very limited viewing angle.

Is not as bad compared to what? The reason I ask is I noticed the issue you describe on the 13" macbook....

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
keithos27 said:
Hi everyone. I'm about to get one of the new MBPs and I was wondering what is the best way to proceed with the laptop out of the box... Do I charge it first? Do I just turn it on? If I just turn it on, do I do with or without AC power? Do I drain the battery all the way first? Please advise.

Thanks,
Keith

This is from an apple knowledge base article on battery calibration for the MBP:

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Pro (17-inch)

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

gzeus

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
countach said:
In theory, PMR gives greater bit density, which means more bits read/written per disk rotation, which means greater performance per rotation. This means a slower rotating drive giving the same throughput (=less battery drain), or the same rotation giving faster throughput. Of course, this is just one factor.

Ok, and what about expected life duration, reliability of the data. Is there any difference ? :confused:

ra9386

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Balad, Iraq
A little help on drive selection..

countach said:
In theory, PMR gives greater bit density, which means more bits read/written per disk rotation, which means greater performance per rotation. This means a slower rotating drive giving the same throughput (=less battery drain), or the same rotation giving faster throughput. Of course, this is just one factor.

So I'm a new convert (thank my friends) and this is my first Mac order. I just placed an order for the MBP and I am concerned that I need to contact them and have them re-design my order. I have ordered this drive:

Hard Drive 0656599 100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm

and only because it had a faster RPM, because I'm interested in the best performance possible. I'm not worried about space, 100Gigs is enough. Now that I've read this and found more out about PMR I'm concerned that the drive I have ordered actually wont have the best seek time / performance.

Can anyone help me out here? Whats the difference in seek times? How can I calculate it?

Thanks again,

Drew

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
Wow,

Busy thread last night/this morning.

Try to answer a few quetions...

1. I am pretty sure the "pin-hole" led for the iSight is still there...I will have to verify when I get home, but pretty sure it is the same as the previous model.

2. System ran all night long, still no whine, mooing, etc.

3. I used the "ATI Overclocker" for the x1800, to find the speeds. The ATI Tool did not display the info correctly. Link to util I used --> http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/89

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
I will get mine today! Just shipped yesterday and already in Minneapolis on truck for delivery.

Attachments

• mbp.JPG
    mbp.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 740

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
bcavanau said:
Wow,

Busy thread last night/this morning.

Try to answer a few quetions...

1. I am pretty sure the "pin-hole" led for the iSight is still there...I will have to verify when I get home, but pretty sure it is the same as the previous model.

2. System ran all night long, still no whine, mooing, etc.

3. I used the "ATI Overclocker" for the x1800, to find the speeds. The ATI Tool did not display the info correctly. Link to util I used --> http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/89

Any Over-heating issue? There is a temperature monitoring utility out there somewhere!

Ginzo

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Can anybody answer the most important question of all:

"How is the performance of WoW with the new MBPS ?" :)

I'm mostly interrested by the difference of performance between the ATI x1600 128 vs 256 VRAM models ?

Thanks,

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
prady16 said:
Any Over-heating issue? There is a temperature monitoring utility out there somewhere!

I did not put the sytem under much load, so not really sure. Temperature at idle seems to be about the same, and while Installing OS X, and XP, the temp did not rise much...not much computation either.

I will get the temp widget/prog tonight and install...been waiting for the Increw.com "Speedit" site to come back up. Anyone know what is going on there?

Running the 3D mark stuff tonight should be a good test of heat.

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
Ginzo said:

I'm mostly interrested by the difference of performance between the ATI x1600 128 vs 256 VRAM models ?

Thanks,

I don't have a 128 model to test with, but I will make sure to get WOW on there later tonight, anything specific you want to know? I am assuming FPS, what else?

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Ginzo said:

Thanks,

Probably nothing darastic, 5-10% increase tops, maybe? (WoW seems most bound by the hard drive. Particularly in crowded areas)

We'll soon see :)

klb028

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
I'm happy to see such good results already! I love reading reviews.

mattster16 said:
I will get mine today! Just shipped yesterday and already in Minneapolis on truck for delivery.

congrats! you must post pictures as well and let us know how everything is. :)

rw1979

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
mattster16 said:
You've probably just given the lot of us who ordered a great big fat GRIN!
When were you meant to get it?

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
how the heck are you guys getting these machines!...i am STILL WAITING for a ship confirm and i ordered right when the site was up...irritating me!

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
nevir said:
(WoW seems most bound by the hard drive. Particularly in crowded areas)

That is only true if you do not have enough RAM and you are constantly swaping... I play wow on a PC with 3gb of ram and the only time it ever touches the disk is during the loading screens with the progress bar.

Ath

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
bcavanau said:
I don't have a 128 model to test with, but I will make sure to get WOW on there later tonight, anything specific you want to know? I am assuming FPS, what else?

While the question wasn't for me, im also curious about the performance with WoW and other MMO's.

If you can tell me the fps on a major city (Org/IF) or on a 40/20 man raid, would be great! :) With some medium/high graphic details please :D

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your patience until now! ;)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
shecky said:
.... a few things here:

-heating?
-any mooing?
-does the wifi card show up as 802.11n under windows?
-model number+manufacturer of the hard drive? (under system profiler)
-airport reception?
-real-life battery use w/ the apps you use?
-is the GPU underclocked?

and lastly, i just want to get a physical confirmation that the new units do not have the easy access HD bay, which everyone THINKS they do not, but nobody actually knows yet.

(thanks to rocketman for his post here)

EDIT: added GPU question

After all these years I finally made it into a #1 post on a front page item. Thanks shecky and arn. Again I repeat something I have said several times before: This site is good because it summarizes the content from so many other sites. Valuable.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.