Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Apple's site states it is not bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Presumably the wristband would use the same proprietary protocol.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303934

There's actually a 2.4GHz GFSK transceiver chip inside the Sport Kit receiver, which seems to be commonly used in many bluetooth devices. A more technical look at the Sport Kit's innards is here.

I'm guessing that the Amp+ will work with the current Nike+iPod receiver, or come with a special receiver of its own that's compatible with the Sport Kit and Amp.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
More Nike+ Products: Amp+, Voice Kit?

The December 2006 edition of Mens Health magazine includes Men's Health 2007 Tech Guide, which includes an unannounced product labeled Nike Amp+, a wrist-mounted remote for interfacing with the Nike+iPod system.

Playlist miscues can ruin a run. That's the impetus behind this wrist-mounted Bluetooth remote, which lets you browse through songs on your iPod or check your run times without fumbling with the player. It syncs up with the Nike+iPod running system via Bluetooth wireless connection, displaying information on an illuminated LED readout hidden beneath the matte-finish face of the bracelet. Just stash your iPod in your pocket—no more fiddling with the sweat-slicked dial.

Interestingly, the description describes the watch as using Bluetooth technology. While the existing Nike+iPod Sport Kit uses the bluetooth 2.4 GHz frequency, Apple claims it uses a proprietary protocol.

In addition, many users have been reporting for some time that the latest versions of the iPod software for their iPod Nanos (v1.3 for Gen1, v1.1 for Gen2, available via iTunes 7) is described as having support for an "Nike+iPod Voice Kit." No other information about this mysterious product is available at this time.

It is not known when either product will be available. Mens Health claims the Amp+ MSRP as $80.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Voice kit?

Not sure how much easier it is to say "next" than pressing the next button... unless of course you're a parapalegic, in which case this is exactly what you're been waiting for.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
this looks awesome, i'm glad they're doing further development with nike. as of now, the nike+apple thing seems a little bare...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Voice kit?

Not sure how much easier it is to say "next" than pressing the next button... unless of course you're a parapalegic, in which case this is exactly what you're been waiting for.

I agree. Buttons are faster, easier, and quieter than speaking and hoping that the device recognizes you above the background noise. And if you are running, you haven't the breath to waste. :)
Is it possibly talking about the iPod that will speak the track names to you? That'd be cool and useful for people with Shuffles. No need to guess what track you are playing, and with Alex around, it might sound good too.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Pulse monitor on wrist anyone?

Man, I've been totally hoping for that!

I'm completely addicted to Nike+ and it's making an avid runner out of me. I go running every night to the sounds of Beatport.com. The only stats missing are my heart rate.

I do find that fumbling with my arm mounted band (no screen window) can ruin my pace and a watch like this would totally work for me.

I wonder if this device functions as a regular watch also. :)

Regardless, I'm totally getting it once it's at the Apple Store.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow they certainly do claim BT technology but then again there is no evidence supporting a nano with BT today.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Information from ShopWiki.com

For those too lazy to follow the electron-trail. The information traces back to a Wiki. You know those user-editable sources of information on the web.

The Nike Amp+ was edited into the ShopWiki back on October 19th by a ladygaladriel.

Not saying it isn't true. But you know, it is a wiki. Nice product if it turns up.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Man, I've been totally hoping for that!

I'm completely addicted to Nike+ and it's making an avid runner out of me. I go running every night to the sounds of Beatport.com. The only stats missing are my heart rate.

I do find that fumbling with my arm mounted band (no screen window) can ruin my pace and a watch like this would totally work for me.

I wonder if this device functions as a regular watch also. :)

Regardless, I'm totally getting it once it's at the Apple Store.

I am really tempted to get the Nike+ but without a heart rate monitor it's kind of useless for me as I have a Polar s625x.
But add a heart rate monitor and a wrist band and you have a winner!

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
i want one of these, but i am waiting to see what the iPhone is like before i make any more iPod purchases

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I wish Apple would make a special iPod for runners that looked exactly like that wristband but had wireless headphones. For runners, you only need about 1GB of space and for the battery to about last 2 hours. At least that would be good enough for 90% of runners out there. It just can't be that hard!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.