Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Anyone have any insight, based on the existing technology, if the iPhone will be compatible with BMW's handsfree bluetooth option? I know we can't be certain till friday, but I assume it would work the same as a regular bluetooth headset. The only thing that worries me is friends of mine have had to ditch certain models of blackberry to make the system in their car happy.

Thanks!,

Frankie

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Not sure but my 2006 Comp M3 is on the way from California and should be here in about 10 days. I'll let you know then! :p

Nagooya

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Wouldn't you like to know?
I've got a Hummer H3, and it has a built in microphone right above the driver's seat, and you can connect any cellphone number to it to do hand's free calling. It's convenient, but i think it only support's Verizon. Oh the irony...:rolleyes:

Jimmyz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
I have an MB S550... it uses the same syncing software. I'll post if it works when I get the iPhone.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
this looks like a thread for people who just want to brag about their cars......i have a ford territory (best car ever) and it doesn't support any phone's so i'll let you know when i get my iPhone if it works......

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I have an MB S550... it uses the same syncing software. I'll post if it works when I get the iPhone.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I'll (hopefully!) be trying this in my S550 Friday night also. If it works in that, it will also work with BMW's current systems.

dagger55

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Austin, TX
I have a 325 and I will take this question a step further...

I have the jack that lets me plug a MP3 player into my console, and allows me to listen to my ipod...

So if I have the headphone jack plugged into the car listening to my ipod, and i get a phone call, will the bluetooth take over and allow me to use handsfree?

Im very anxious to test this out, especially since the headphones that come with iPhone have the mic on it...

I'm hoping the iPhone will be smart enough to let Bluetooth take precedence

Nagooya

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007

I have the jack that lets me plug a MP3 player into my console, and allows me to listen to my ipod...

So if I have the headphone jack plugged into the car listening to my ipod, and i get a phone call, will the bluetooth take over and allow me to use handsfree?

Im very anxious to test this out, especially since the headphones that come with iPhone have the mic on it...

I'm not sure it would even me compatible with the iPhone because the reviews released today stated that the iPhone has a relatively deep headphone jack, so perhaps it won't fit, maybe it will?

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia

dagger55

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm not sure it would even me compatible with the iPhone because the reviews released today stated that the iPhone has a relatively deep headphone jack, so perhaps it won't fit, maybe it will?

SURELY you can plug any set of headphones into that jack and listen....

SURELY...

Nagooya

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
well i just googled my car and apparently its only available in australia (i sometimes pretend i live in america so it sounds like im getting an iPhone and people judge me :( ).....here's a pic......i could have sworn i saw it in an episode of prison break...maybe you guys call it something different...

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i27/2779_3mg.jpg

I actually like it! It looks like Ford's version of the LandRover LR2 (since Ford owns LandRover) but it also looks like it has some of the new 2008 Escape styling along with some Ford Freestyle styling. I like!

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I recently bought a Bentley Brooklands and my iPhone syncs perfectly with it (BT + iPod + even lets me access the home screen on the touch panel); and, considering most of the German auto makers share the same software foundations, i will assume it will work with your car(s). I haven't tried it with my Audi A8 L W12 or MB G500 (my other Germans) but perhaps Ill check tomorrow and get back to you...

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia

In other words, will the iPhone mute all output when a bluetooth headset or car adaptor picks up a call? Interesting question, we can test that pretty quickly Friday night.

It will also be interesting to see if the full iPod integration kits (with steering wheel iPod controls and instrument cluster display of playlists and so on) will work with the iPhone. I bet some will and some won't. I'll post here if the Mercedes integration kit works (that's the only car I have that has the kit)

So many questions! Is it Friday yet???

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I recently bought a Bentley Brooklands and my iPhone syncs perfectly with it (BT + iPod + even lets me access the home screen on the touch panel); and, considering most of the German auto makers share the same software foundations, i will assume it will work with your car(s). I haven't tried it with my Audi A8 L W12 or MB G500 (my other Germans) but perhaps Ill check tomorrow and get back to you...

??? Are you being sarcastic?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Most likely, the Bentley Brooklands isn't out yet, most likely just pre-order. More believable would've been the Bentley Continental GTC, couple of my neighbors have it, one in white, one in baby blue. Very nice car i might add!

Well, I think there was a Brooklands model back in the 90s. I didn't know there was a new one coming out. Don't really follow that marque.

The interesting thing is that right now most have the cars have some sort of iPod integration kit for music and then separate integration kits for the phones. Usually with different interfaces. With BMW and Mercedes, for instance, you can buy an iPod kit and then you also buy a bluetooth phone kit for the CPT whatever (BMW) and the MHI (Mercedes)

So it will be interesting to see if anyone makes a single interface or kit to use both the iPod AND phone features of the iPhone.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I actually like it! It looks like Ford's version of the LandRover LR2 (since Ford owns LandRover) but it also looks like it has some of the new 2008 Escape styling along with some Ford Freestyle styling. I like!

yeah they are great!! they are really popular here in aus.....everyone has one!!

Nagooya

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Well, I think there was a Brooklands model back in the 90s. I didn't know there was a new one coming out. Don't really follow that marque.

The interesting thing is that right now most have the cars have some sort of iPod integration kit for music and then separate integration kits for the phones. Usually with different interfaces. With BMW and Mercedes, for instance, you can buy an iPod kit and then you also buy a bluetooth phone kit for the CPT whatever (BMW) and the MHI (Mercedes)

So it will be interesting to see if anyone makes a single interface or kit to use both the iPod AND phone features of the iPhone.

I didn't know there was a Brooklands from the '90s, but this is the one i was talking about:

Attachments

• Bentley 2.jpg
    Bentley 2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 81

naughtyman89

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007

And I will take your question another step further. My BMW has the actual iPod adapter in the glove comparment so when you plug in the iPod, all of the songs show up in the idrive menu. Has it been reported that the song structure of the iphone is the same as that of the ipod. Anybody thing plugging it into that would actually work?

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.