Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
I picked up my iPhone last night and thus far, I am perfectly happy with the device itself - it does most everything that the hype has promised. HOWEVER, a key issue I ran into is the fact that AT&T does not allow you to dial any numbers outside of the US for the first 90 days if you are a new AT&T customer - this is regardless of your credit score!!! I've spent over 3 hours on the phone with AT&T customer support thus far and they have not been able to make an exception yet, I have a superprime credit score and my average T-Mobile bill has been about $500 per month over the last three years.

SO BUSINESS USERS - BE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT CALL ANYONE OUTSIDE THE US WITH THE iPHONE FOR AT LEAST 90 DAYS AFTER YOU BUY IT.

I'm sure Apple didn't think of this when they partnered with the AT&T crooks... I for one will return my iPhone and stay with Blackberry until AT&T comes up with a plan that covers business users with international dialling.

Boy that is really stupid. A work around is to go to jajah.com to place an international call.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I had to laugh at this a bit. You do realize that the DVORAK keyboard layout was designed for ten finger touch typing on a full sized keyboard as an improvement over the QWERTY keyboard? I'm not sure how 2 finger typing is going to be improved by changing to a DVORAK keyboard layout.

Having said that however, it is entirely possible that the key layout could be/should be changed for faster 2 finger typing. That was the original impetus for the DVORAK (for 10 fingers, not two).

Has anyone seen any research papers on this topic? It might be interesting to explore.

I happen to type almost exclusively using the DVORAK layout on my Macbook. It's made for 10 finger typing, all vowels are on the left hand and you don't have to stretch out the pinky as much as with QWERTY touch typing. Basically, it's optimized for left-right-left-right hand use. However I don't really touch type like you're supposed to, i.e. rest the index fingers on the nudged keys. My hands move around a little, most words can be done with one or 2 hand strokes, like playing a chord on a piano.

I just typed the above paragraph using my thumbs to type (on a Macbook) in DVORAK. It's kinda hard because I don't have the thumb motions memorized and looking at the keyboard only confuses me (QWERTY keyboard...), but I can imagine having the keyboard in DVORAK on the iPhone could make typing faster. On the other hand, the error correction would not work as good, since the vowels in DVORAK are all next to each other. If you type "hot", the error correction might think it's "hit" or "hat" or "hut", all of which are actual english words. So that might be a pain in the :apple: ss.

Does anyone know if you can change the language on the iPhone? Does the leyboard layout change if you select spanish as the default language?

EDIT: PM me if you want more info. I don't constantly check all the threads. I also have iChat if you like that :)

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
On the other hand, the error correction would not work as good, since the vowels in DVORAK are all next to each other. If you type "hot", the error correction might think it's "hit" or "hat" or "hut", all of which are actual english words. So that might be a pain in the :apple: ss.

That's a really good point. I never thought of that.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Eh? What are you on about? Where do they keep their coins then?

We use wallets. I would never have loose notes and coins in my pocket. But then again, I use one pocket for a phone, another for my wallet. Keys in the back maybe. Keys are a pain though.

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
If you type "hot", the error correction might think it's "hit" or "hat" or "hut", all of which are actual english words. So that might be a pain in the :apple: ss.
Interesting example. How does the current qwerty implementatio handle "hit", "hut", and "hot"?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Talking about change in your pocket. You can keep your change. But as for me. I just only pay electronically. I live in The Netherlands (Europe) and there are hardly any senario's where I (notice the "I") need lose change. Just swipe your card and type in your PIN (Personal Identification Number) and you're done. Saver, faster and more iPhone friendly I suppose. Even though the stress tests seem to conclude in the favor (or favour) of the iPhone. I lived in the UK where having change in your pocket is far more common. Even for me. All the corner stores and news agencies required you to have cash if you desired to purchase things.

I think if it's less that £5 ($10) then we use cash usually. It's a pain in the ass, but that's life. We also use wallets. I never see a guy from England have a pocket full of coins jingling around.

ElenaM19

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2007
New York
Better Than Expected

The iPhone is amazing. Jobs is right; the bar has been officially raised. I've had two smartphones, the Palm 700p and the Motorola Q. To say that these two devices pale in comparison is a huge understatement. I expected the Edge network to be so slow, but I really don't think it is slower than using the Palm or Windows Mobile internet options. Both of those were frustrating and slow and the result was a tiny little window that barely made it worth having. Safari on the iPhone with Edge service is a huge improvement. With WiFi, it blows them away. I love the iPhone and I'm glad I decided to jump in right away. Worth every penny.

wnurse

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
It's not sold out. Apple doing a good job of predicting demand. Hopefully it won't sell out and Apple will be able to match the demand with production.

Sold out = unhappy customers and no $$$
In Stock = happy customers and $$$

:)

Interesting interpretation. Usually, not sold out indicates that demand was not that hot or that apple overestimated demand. I've never heard a company says.. we are happy we did not sell out, indicates our product is hot.

The key really is not whether it's in stock but how long?.. too many days on the shelf is not good (there's a reason why companies strive to manage inventory levels so that it closely matches consumer demand.. too many units and you have an inventory problem).

I think the equation should be

sold out = hot demand
in stock = not so hot demand.

At least in apple case, this implies consumers are not that impressed with it's products or are impressed but cannot afford.

pev

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Near Bath, UK
SO BUSINESS USERS - BE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT CALL ANYONE OUTSIDE THE US WITH THE iPHONE FOR AT LEAST 90 DAYS AFTER YOU BUY IT.
I had this with Vodaphone in the UK - solution was to pay up front and put my account into credit which worked just fine. I'm sure AT&T should let you do the same? If you spend $500 month then pay in a $500 credit now...

~Pev

AWShuttleworth

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I'm posting this from my iPhone, too, and I've gotta say that everything I was worried about isn't a problem. After a day of light usage only, I'm already as quick at thumb-typing as the guy at the end of the keyboard demonstration video on the Apple site. EDGE is so much faster than I expected... Totally tolerable for on-the-go browsing. And activation for me was literally instantaneous.

I'm not sure what they people complaining are on about... This is the best- executed 1.0 software I have ever seen. I can't wait to see where this goes from here -- this is huge.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
watching them drop that phone and scratch it up made me wince a lot. I am so glad that the thing held up pretty well to all that abuse, but i still bought an incase case and a crystal film. Best purchase ive made in a very long time. As a matter of fact I am typing on this thing right now! I love it!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
You never been out drinking in the UK then I take it?!

~Pev

Many times. c'mon dude... even my dad has a wallet. *Everyone* uses them.
Apart from tramps. Actually, I saw a tramp with a wallet once. Might not have been his though...

iPhone looks nice. Give it 3G and let's see which provider gets it... it's Vodafone not Vodaphone by the way.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Okay so some impressions.
I have used this amazing little device for about 2 days now.
Okay so once i thought i saw a scratch, i tried to wipe it but would not come off.
Pretty hard too.
Then i concentrated on that spot and the scratch dissapeared.

aidensocal

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Needs more ringtones!

So it definately needs more than 20 ringtones, especially if you can not install new ones! This is the FIRST thing they need to address with software update. Most of the ringtones installed on it, even on the highest volume setting, can not be heard while driving in your car with the ac on. Also, AT&T paperwork and disclaimers state that all iPhone plans have free instant messaging and MMS included, although the phone can not do it. As a proud recipient of 2 class action settlements from cingular for this same type of omission in the past, this is something that definately needs to be addressed or people will throw a fit, a legal one!

The UI is great and I am getting great battery life. I actually have already dropped it and not even a scratch on it! Very impressed with the ruggedness of such and elegant looking phone. I remember dropping my razor only to marvel at how quickly the back would pop off and battery would fly out. This one is definately a little tank when it comes to "oopses"

ps the keyboard needs a ~ key!

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
Activation - 1 for 2. First iPhone is still waiting since Saturday morning. 2nd took 2 minutes.
Battery Life - better than expected, better than hope for, just simply great.
Keyboard - no big deal, works much better than I had hoped, typing is really easy and very accurate.

Something we may have overlooked, Steve used this thing for 6 months, so you can say it is up to Steve's standards, and it shows. Homerun, redefines the phone.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Speaker interference

Hey everyone...

Waltzed right into Apple yesterday and 5 minutes later I walked out with an iPhone. Setup was painless, total time from deboxification to full service was about ten minutes, including porting my number from Sprint.

Here's my question though...I have a pair of cheapo Benwin speakers on my desktop, and when the iPhone gets within a couple of feet of them they intermittently buzz. Is this because of Bluetooth (which I've had little need for until now)?

Other than that, no complaints, I absolutely love this thing. I felt guilty about not waiting for v2 on my way over, but now that I have it in my hands I feel 0% buyers' remorse. It's better than I imagined.

Thanks
-Mike

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Here's my question though...I have a pair of cheapo Benwin speakers on my desktop, and when the iPhone gets within a couple of feet of them they intermittently buzz. Is this because of Bluetooth (which I've had little need for until now)?

I think its when the radio pushes/pulls email from the cloud.

My blackberry does this.. I am amazed the iphone does this.. I moved it a foot away from the speakers and that solves it.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004

yeah, cheapo speakers aren't typically magnetically shielded and will tend to make sounds due to radio activity from phones and other devices.

on a side note, i think the touch-screen keyboard actually performs superbly. within 2 or 3 minutes of me just messing around with an iPhone in an Apple Store, i was able to pick up the typing speed quite a bit, as well as the whole typing process generally becoming more fluid. their correction algorithms work great, once you let go and let them work. once i actually have a decent income (recent college grad), and due to the fact that i have yet also to own just a regular iPod, i will most definitely purchase an iPhone as soon as i'm financially able.

YourHippocampus

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2006
Stumptown
Only my second day with it and I'm already getting attatched!

Pros:

1. Interface is very "snappy"
2. Nothing short of the REAL Mac OSX underpinnings.
3. Relying on the keyboard's intelligence makes typing very fast.
4. Youtube videos on EDGE look better than any phone I've used.
5. Sound quality is almost audiophile.
6. The viewing angle is above average.
7. The screen is clear in any lighting condition.
8. No bugs found yet.
9. EDGE network is fairly fast.
10. Activation, mail, and syncing was easy to setup.

Cons:

1. Speakerphone could be louder.
2. No video capture.
3. No unlimited minutes.
4. No flash in safari.
5. The Bluetooth doesn't seem fully featured.
6. Keyboard (in safari) slows down when there is not a stable connection.
7. Wallpaper doesn't apply to home screen.
8. No multimedia messages.
9. No keychain or autofill.
10. No way to organize icons.

As good a breakdown as I've seen anyone do online, thanks.

Looks like an A- for rev. 1 iPhone and that is FANTASTIC for any new electronic device!! BTW, how did those first Blackberries and Palms fare?!

Your "cons" look like good things to send in for the first updates, esp. keychains/autofill since they reduce your reliance on keyboarding.

Organizing icons is present on some menus, but they need to happen everywhere and a nice darkening of the wallpaper on the home screen would be an easy, nice touch. Anything to allow even the perception of personalization of the UI is going to be important.

I'm not sure why so many people want video capture, but maybe I'm too old school. The problems with not having instant messaging also seems to me to be easy fixes though streamlining the email flow would be better. I'd rather send quick emails with photo and audio attachments, rather than merely instant message because I have more friends with email than who IM.

svento

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
wifi works w/o SIM card

I don't think I've seen this reported yet... I just took the SIM card out of my activated iPhone and turned it on and everything appears to work except calls and EDGE data of course. But this might be useful to someone who wants to use their iPhone SIM card in another phone and still be able to use the iPhone for music and movies and web over wifi, etc.

piodiaz

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Does not work in Car Audio

I have an Infiniti G35 with a Peripheral brand car adapter to listen to my iPod using the XM port, but it does not work with the iPhone, when I plug the iPhone the audio comes out the iPhone speakers, not the car, I know that is connected becuase it charges the iphone, so there is connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.