Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Installer.app promises to provide an easy interface to install iPhone applications over EDGE or Wifi.

The iPhone installable application does require you to go through installation process at least once to get their installer on your phone. Fortunately, they are offering what they describe as a "single command" installer to jump start the process:
New! We now have a single command Mac (PPC & Intel) installer for Installer.app, get it here. This will automate the entire jailbreak and Installer.app installation process for your 1.0 or 1.0.1 iPhone, including automatically downloading the right firmware files. Be sure to read the short README file for installation instructions.

If possible, it is recommended you do a full restore of your iPhone using iTunes before installing this, but this is not required -- it will simply make for a cleaner install.

It's in Beta and comes with no warranty, so proceed with caution.

Article Link

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
What does this mean?

I want to see Skype work on iPhone (no more bills!). Would this installer thingamajigger install Skype? Or no?

willxm

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2007
All well and good but where are all the apps? what is zune2 too? Is there a one stop shop where we can see all the apps currently available.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Amazing how far efforts have come! Absolutely shameful that this wasn't something Apple included.

I don't think it's shameful at all. Remember, this is a Version One-Oh product here, and it's unreasonable to expect a fully polished development environment on day 1. Apple obviously hears the noise we're making and even before the iPhone was released, they showed us it was at least feasible to make additional apps, but there's absolutely no point in bragging that iPhone runs OSX if developers can't make use of it, and in January, the Steve made quite a fuss about that.

Just as Dashcode wasn't available the day widgets showed up, or Xcode wasn't really around until OSX got rolling, a "Phonecode" or whatever is surely in the works, with all the good stuff like an interface library. It'll be draggy-droppy and allow you to code in ObjC or Java or even HTML. It'll have hooks into the rest of the phone so you can talk to the address book, the mapping software, the internet, the battery, the wireless radio, the EDGE network, the camera, the orientation sensor, the multitouch screen, the music libary, the album artwork, the speaker, the photo library, the voicemail, the Settings control panel, and all the other stuff squarely outside of the relm of a damned web2.0 "application", which as we've seen so far, is mostly tracking applications for web2.0 apps.

GeorgeTheMonkey

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
I don't think it's shameful at all. Remember, this is a Version One-Oh product here, and it's unreasonable to expect a fully polished development environment on day 1.

I agree – it'll come in due time. Most developers seem to accept that for granted, and would've happily taken a "The DevKit is coming soon" explanation when the iPhone was released. I think where most of them became disgruntled is when Steve offered the cop-out "Oh look, you can create web apps!" response. (Never mind how very good we've gotten at making web apps tailored to the iPhone.)

For those looking for a more detailed explanation, this Installer.app basically seems to simplify this whole process here, where users would've had to utilize a lot of manual code prompts, some SSH action, and other technical mumbo-jumbo.

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Counting down to the exploit... 3...

What exploit? It has already been cracked. Have you not seen the NES emulator?

Anyways, this is good but what we really need is a good GUI program like iFuntastic so you could just drag and drop applications. Maybe a virtual iPhone and you drag the apps on there (therefore seeing what it would look like)? I want iChat!

Kchino

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
This script worked like a charm with a ppc mac and iPhone firmware ver. 1.1. This little script and app will make a lot of people happy!

xmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Now all I need is for someone to tell me the most simple way to install roms into the other wise useless nes.app.....

Posted by The General in another thread (read the stuff in the Applications forums on here)

------------------
If you have Installer.app installed, run it and install "Community Resources"

Then once you have that installed, more programs will show up that you can install. Scroll down to OpenSSH and install that. Then install BSD Subsystem.

Restart your phone and connect it to a WiFi router. Go to Settings -> Wifi -> And hit the little blue "(>)" next to the network you're connected to. Write down your IP address listed there.

Download Cyberduck if you're on a Mac, or Filezilla if you're on Windows.

In Cyberduck, hit "Open Connection" and select the "SFTP" protocol. Type your IP address into the address bar, then for the user name and password it's most likely root and dottie, respectively. Port should say 22. Hit connect.

If all goes well, you should be browsing your iPhone's files in no time. Just go to /var/root/Media and create a directory called ROMs, and one inside that called NES. Put your ROMs in that NES folder.

For instance...

/var/root/Media/ROMs/NES/Super\ Mario\ 3.nes

TuxMDarien

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Can't get it to work

Been trying everything under the sun to get this to work.

I tried this iPhoneinstaller and It seemed to work at first it downloaded the update but then it said it couldn't find the bootstrapper program

/Users/*My Computer's name removed*/Desktop/iPhoneInstaller/get_installer.sh: line 40: ./bootstrapper: No such file or directory

So I dropped Bootstraper into the terminal and it would try to update the files but it would stop. and now it will only hang with

(privateFunctions) Architecture: powerpc
0 Looking for iPhone...
1 Sending Files...
Failed: (0) afcWriteFile: Cant read file

Anyone know what's up?

earthsick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
central nj
Posted by The General in another thread (read the stuff in the Applications forums on here)

------------------
If you have Installer.app installed, run it and install "Community Resources"

Then once you have that installed, more programs will show up that you can install. Scroll down to OpenSSH and install that. Then install BSD Subsystem.

Restart your phone and connect it to a WiFi router. Go to Settings -> Wifi -> And hit the little blue "(>)" next to the network you're connected to. Write down your IP address listed there.

Download Cyberduck if you're on a Mac, or Filezilla if you're on Windows.

In Cyberduck, hit "Open Connection" and select the "SFTP" protocol. Type your IP address into the address bar, then for the user name and password it's most likely root and dottie, respectively. Port should say 22. Hit connect.

If all goes well, you should be browsing your iPhone's files in no time. Just go to /var/root/Media and create a directory called ROMs, and one inside that called NES. Put your ROMs in that NES folder.

For instance...

/var/root/Media/ROMs/NES/Super\ Mario\ 3.nes

thanks, I missed that in the other thread...gonna try this later, lets hope all goes well

jimbot

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
i suggest doing a restore on your iPhone, deleting the installer, download again, try again.

brooker

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
PacNW
Great app.

This installer program is very exciting. It's basically a package management util for iPhone. Making new programs and getting them out to people will be a snap now.

Highly recommended. Hack on!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
What exploit? It has already been cracked. Have you not seen the NES emulator?
No, no, no... I mean the exploit that starts pulling malware over the Edge connection and sticking it in your phone. That's one installation vector I don't want open-- particularly by a third party...

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No, no, no... I mean the exploit that starts pulling malware over the Edge connection and sticking it in your phone. That's one installation vector I don't want open-- particularly by a third party...

You realize that the people who develop these programs for the iPhone are also iPhone users, right? The code is open source. The repositories are on an "at will" basis. You choose to add sources to your list. Unless you add a repository manually, that isn't checked and maintained by the makers of Installer.app, which right now isn't possible, you aren't going to be getting any "malware."

It's irrational paranoia. :rolleyes:

earthsick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
central nj
It figures this would happen, but now after I did all this Apple released 1.0.2

So my question is does any one know how 1.0.2 reacts to an iPhone with the installer app? I am guessing I will need to restore then start over once 1.0.2 is installed since I installed a bunch of stuff out of the installer app.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
It figures this would happen, but now after I did all this Apple released 1.0.2

So my question is does any one know how 1.0.2 reacts to an iPhone with the installer app? I am guessing I will need to restore then start over once 1.0.2 is installed since I installed a bunch of stuff out of the installer app.

That is correct. The installer app works fine with 1.0.2. and it will prompt you with option to that version.

But you will have to restore and start over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.