Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rendition

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I got my 16GB iTouch yesterday and I’m not happy. I don’t know what PC Magazine is smoking (maybe they got a better version), but my iPod Touch screen quality is VERY inferior to my iPhone. The color quality and punch isn’t there.

If you know about LCD monitors, it’s almost like they used a TN-quality panel vs. S-IPS on the iPhone. The colors almost have a dither quality, the black levels are not as good, and the viewing angles are much smaller/worse. Sigh! I may return it.

I remember when I first saw a movie on iPHone, I was speech less.. It was so awesome, breath-taking. The same movie on iPod Touch. Ugly, disappointing.

Here's my unboxing pictures: http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001894.html

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I expected to see a stand (vs dock) in that picture.

I guess I'll head over to Micheal's craft store and buy a very small easel/stand thing.

Also, re: the display. We're not going to have the "5 vs 7 series" display discussions on the Touch TOO, are we? :rolleyes:

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I got my 16GB iTouch yesterday and I’m not happy. I don’t know what PC Magazine is smoking (maybe they got a better version), but my iPod Touch screen quality is VERY inferior to my iPhone. The color quality and punch isn’t there.

If you know about LCD monitors, it’s almost like they used a TN-quality panel vs. S-IPS on the iPhone. The colors almost have a dither quality, the black levels are not as good, and the viewing angles are much smaller/worse. Sigh! I may return it.

I remember when I first saw a movie on iPHone, I was speech less.. It was so awesome, breath-taking. The same movie on iPod Touch. Ugly, disappointing.

Here's my unboxing pictures: http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001894.html

i think the touch's screen is better if anything. remember, make sure you look in settings and set the brightness the way you like it. i turned the brightness all the way up, which i think is better than how it is coming out of the box.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007

Wow nice keyboard, where did you get it?

apodacainc

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
Washington, D.C.
iPod Touch Screen Quality Sucks vs. iPhone

GASP!!! Kensington? How dare you connect that to a mac! That's like putting a pvc pipe on a Harley Davidson's exhaust. Ur mac prolly feels like it's got a thermometer in it's butthole. Take it out! The new slim line keyboard is phenom!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well, this is making it's way all over the Intertubes with example videos, etc. It looks pretty bad. Maybe someone watching 'Family Guy' clips won't care, but certainly those watching movies are going to be pissed if they get a screen with washed out blacks that don't look at all right.

Some people are claiming that they don't have the problem which could point to more than one source for the screens.

Apple better get a grip on this quick. Things like this have a way of snowballing on them.... remember the 1st Nano screens and how badly they scratched?

An even bigger issue for me is the reports of sub-par audio quality (background noise and hiss).

If I'm going to spend $400 on a DAP I expect top flight audio performance, not hissing like a tape deck.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
from the iLounge article:

Screen Differences: Though it shares the same resolution and size, the screen isn’t exactly the same as iPhone’s. The screen’s contrast initially seems a bit better, with darker blacks, but it’s easier to make blacks go negative on the wrong viewing angle—more so than on recent hard disk-based iPods, too. Like iPhone, iPod touch still has a brightness sensor with automatic adjustment as an option; there still aren’t contrast or color controls.

Have you guys done off-axis vs. straight on image comparisons?

electricrenaiss

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Well, this is making it's way all over the Intertubes with example videos, etc. It looks pretty bad. Maybe someone watching 'Family Guy' clips won't care, but certainly those watching movies are going to be pissed if they get a screen with washed out blacks that don't look at all right.

Some people are claiming that they don't have the problem which could point to more than one source for the screens.

Apple better get a grip on this quick. Things like this have a way of snowballing on them.... remember the 1st Nano screens and how badly they scratched?

An even bigger issue for me is the reports of sub-par audio quality (background noise and hiss).

If I'm going to spend $400 on a DAP I expect top flight audio performance, not hissing like a tape deck.

Also notice what they say about the battery life. It's not what Apple claimed at least on the video side. My biggest worry when I get my Touch is the display issue.

I don't understand the PC World review that said that the iPod Touch display is actually better than that of the iPhone becasue majority of the reports seem to indicate the opposite. Why the disconnect?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Also notice what they say about the battery life. It's not what Apple claimed at least on the video side. My biggest worry when I get my Touch is the display issue.

Ya, this has me pretty bummed out. I'm now of a mind to kill my Touch pre-order and wait till the next version of the device comes out in a year or so and they fix this crap.

:(

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Well, I'll probably wait to pass judgement until I get to see one of these myself, but it never feels good to get your hopes smashed by reports like these :(

If need be, I'll purchase/return the things until I get a high quality display, if that's what it takes.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't understand the PC World review that said that the iPod Touch display is actually better than that of the iPhone becasue majority of the reports seem to indicate the opposite. Why the disconnect?

I think there is some variation in the screens. IIRC PC Mag also did say that the Touch looked better when viewed straight on, but at off-angles the iPhone was better.

electricrenaiss

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
I think there is some variation in the screens. IIRC PC Mag also did say that the Touch looked better when viewed straight on, but at off-angles the iPhone was better.

I guess it's pretty much official now that the iPhone and Touch display is NOT the same. Do you think the difference lies in the actual hardware or is this something that can be "corrected" with a software patch?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I guess it's pretty much official now that the iPhone and Touch display is NOT the same. Do you think the difference lies in the actual hardware or is this something that can be "corrected" with a software patch?

I don't think even Touch owners know right now. It makes me wonder if I should wait a few days before getting a Touch, I was gonna wait for it to get hacked first anyways.

Playing video is a major feature for me, so I want to make sure it's good. I was impressed with image quality on the iPhone, hopefully the Touch will ultimately be as good.

electricrenaiss

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
I don't think even Touch owners know right now. It makes me wonder if I should wait a few days before getting a Touch, I was gonna wait for it to get hacked first anyways.

Playing video is a major feature for me, so I want to make sure it's good. I was impressed with image quality on the iPhone, hopefully the Touch will ultimately be as good.

I agree and to my point earlier, how many Touch owners will even realize that it is an issue if it really is? They might think its just normal. Unless there are any videophiles who can notice this right away, most people will just ignore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.