Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hey guys,

Sound isn't coming out of my internal speakers. When I hook up headphones everything is fine, but when I'm on the computer itself, no sound comes out, a red light is coming from my headphone jack, and the volume controls don't do anything (volume stays at max and there's a white circle with diagonal sign thru it, like a no smoking sign) and I don't get sound.

Any ideas?

I tried restarting and all that....

Thanks

admeyers

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
no sound on internal speakers - mac book pro

Hi,

I have the same problem with the speakers not working on my macbook pro. Same red light in the headphone jack, and sound is fine on headphones. Did anyone figure this out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Alex

whitneynicole

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Solution

I had the exact same problem. What is happening is that there is something jammed kind of in the head phones jack. System preferences won't give you the option of internal speakers because it thinks the head phones are still plugged in. Gently wiggle the head phones jack around in the plug in and it should recognize that they are out again. As long as the red light is on it thinks there are head phones plugged in.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I had the exact same problem. What is happening is that there is something jammed kind of in the head phones jack. System preferences won't give you the option of internal speakers because it thinks the head phones are still plugged in. Gently wiggle the head phones jack around in the plug in and it should recognize that they are out again. As long as the red light is on it thinks there are head phones plugged in.

Your MBP is trying to send an optical audio signal to an optical cable that isn't there, that's why your speakers don't work. As to how to fix it, beats me, my penryn doesn't do it.

Nehalem

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
I'm having the same problem in Win 7 Boot Camp, on the 27" i7 iMac.

- No audio from iMac internal speakers.
- Red light from the headphone jack.
- Tried updating to the new boot camp drivers Apple released in January. No luck.

Been looking for solutions for a few weeks now. Would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

ArmchairDeity

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
I just fixed this issue on my MBP...

I took my headphone cord and pushed it in, then a few times in a row I pulled the connector out just a few MM, then pushed it back in, then out... a few times.

When next I pulled the plug all the way out of the jack, it showed my internal speakers just fine.

Thank heavens it worked. I can't afford a bunch of computer issues right now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.