Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Arstechnica sources are pinpointing this week for the launch of television shows via iTunes in Canada.

The company plans to begin adding shows quietly to the store as early as [Tuesday] afternoon or evening, with an official launch expected for Wednesday if things go smoothly

Ars notes that upon launch, the store will only contain a modest amount of content, including shows from CBC, CTV, and some US TV shows (excluding content from NBC, of course).

Canada will make the third country with TV programming available via iTunes, in addition to the US and the UK.

Article Link

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Unfortunately, due to government restrictions there will only be one program...

583737_356x237.jpg

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
GASP! URGH!....hands tense up.... pound desk with fist. loosing strengh... can't keep sitting up str8... falling onto floor hands grasping futily for something to hold on to. Light fading.... gone.

I think I had a heart attack.

Although not sure what is surprising me more.... the fact that canada is finally going to get tv shows.... or that this story is front page...

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
whats this? something is actually happening in canada? wow. :)

Don't worry we probably have to download jailBreak 1.12, downgrade the firmware and jailbreak the device before we are actually allowed to play tv shows on the :apple:TV though.

lol.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hurray, we get to download episodes of Little Mosque on the Prairie. Why is that show funny again?

Come on, SCTV and Kids in the Hall episodes!! and some old school Degrassi would be nice too.

blehpunk

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
nice, i just moved near the canadian border. can i just go over and get a pobox, little bank account, and sign in canada sometimes?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Awesome news! I just started putting the gears in motion to cancel my Rogers cable account.

I got a new 42" Aquos and I'm waiting for MacWorld to get an AppleTV.... then bye bye Rogers cable! Hello AppleTV.

Perfect timing!

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
... Come on, SCTV and Kids in the Hall episodes!!
There is sooo much fantastic CBC content it could be better than what's offered in the US store in no time at all.

Some of the funniest comedy bar none, comes from Canada and some of the best of the new "gritty," filmed in HD drama shows also.

- Little Mosque on the Prairie
- Kids in the Hall
- SCTV
- This Hour Has 22 Minutes
- Just for Laughs
- Intelligence (HD)
- DaVinci's Inquest (HD)
- The Nature of Things (HD)
- Thousands of award winning CBC Documentaries

Canadians are generally more law abiding than Americans also, so give them a legal download outlet and it might take off like a rocket.

It would be nice to see Americans having to buy Canadian iTunes gift cards and create dummy Canadian accounts so that they can watch our stuff. :p

Juicy irony there.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Rogers are ****ing bastards and I will never support them.

:apple:

oh yeah and nice to see this coming too bad nbc shows are the only ones id want to buy. apple tv has done really well here in ontario at least. I remember them being constantly sold out.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
To Canadians everywhere: You haven't been missing much.

It's like alcohol to a teenager. You only want it because you can't have it. Then when you're of age, the thrill is gone.

-Clive

rfaulder

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
oh goodness I am ecstatic. I hope Nature of Things is up there, what a fantastic program.

and old degrassi.

othersongs

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
canada
this is such great news for canadians. i honestly never thought this day would come.

did someone murder the CRTC? how did this happen?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Just the fact that canada is even mentioned with anything Apple related is refreshing...

We got no Apple Store where I live, we got no iPhone, no cool crap on itunes..

and we're so close to where all this stuff comes from....at least where I live it is....

god i want a normal, non hacked iPhone so bad......sigh...

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Just the fact that canada is even mentioned with anything Apple related is refreshing...

We got no Apple Store where I live, we got no iPhone, no cool crap on itunes..

and we're so close to where all this stuff comes from....at least where I live it is....

god i want a normal, non hacked iPhone so bad......sigh...

You're getting an Apple Store at the Pacific Centre so hang tight.

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I would definitely start grabbing some shows if this were the case. They should add hockey games too...that would help with the Canadian Content restrictions...haha

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
As for TV shows through iTunes, I'm happy that we can finally do it, but I really want HD quality (not near HD quality) and I'd also like the :apple:TV to come with a DVR option. If that happens then I'll be running to the store to get one. Hopefully there'll be an update for the :apple:tv in January <crosses fingers>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.