Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Truth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
I can not restore my iphone using the 1.0.2, 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 firmware. I have read through all the forums and tried all the tricks to get it to restore but it always comes up with the error 1604. I get the 'connect to itunes' screen with no problem and I have tried on Leopard, Tiger and XP using itunes 7.4.2 and 7.5. Does anybody have any clue as to what the problem could be and what I could do to fix it?

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
I can not restore my iphone using the 1.0.2, 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 firmware. I have read through all the forums and tried all the tricks to get it to restore but it always comes up with the error 1604. I get the 'connect to itunes' screen with no problem and I have tried on Leopard, Tiger and XP using itunes 7.4.2 and 7.5. If I try to use iFuntastic or INdependence I get a kernel panic. Does anybody have any clue as to what the problem could be and what I could do to fix it?

From what I've read about 1604, of course try it in 7.5, and if that doesn't work.... reboot. lol. If that doesn't work, try a different USB port.

Have you tried that? I've experienced it on numerous occasions with different USB powered devices, the iPhone is no exception.

I've seen a few places that people connect it to a different port, and it solves it. Good luck!

EDIT: I read above (again) that you've "done all the tricks," if the USB port thing didn't work, go to a Genius Bar, or call Apple.

sinicide

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
I had the same error when I was restoring my iphone but I found a method that worked for me.

fixed it! All I had to do to get iTunes to finish the reformat without getting that pain in the *** error 1604 was:
1.) turn off the iphone and pull the chord from the computer

2.) uninstall itunes and ALL apple products that installed with itunes 7-4

3.) re-install itunes and ALL apple products that installed with itunes 7-4

4.) Pull the SIM card out of the top of the iphone
http://images.google.com/images?sou...2006-03,GGLR:en&q=iphone+SIM&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

5.) reboot the iphone and get the dammed yellow triangle of death

6.) Turn on iTunes if it did not come on already to get itunes to see the iphone

7.) reformat the phone--(it should work by now)

8.) reinsert the SIM card in the iphone

9.) reactivate the phone

10.) Restore your data from the last back up

Taken form the help forums on apple. All I did was uninstall all the itunes stuff off in windows xp and took out the sim card on the iphone. did a fresh reinstall and attempted to restore again and it worked. Hopefully this might help you.

The Truth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
Thanks for you help but I've been through all the forums and tried all that stuff. On five different computers even. I have read somewhere that 1604 errors are itunes-based (ie. not iphone based). I find that hard to believe though through my testing.

rotur

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
Adelaide
Thanks for you help but I've been through all the forums and tried all that stuff. On five different computers even. I have read somewhere that 1604 errors are itunes-based (ie. not iphone based). I find that hard to believe though through my testing.

Like you, I have had the same experience and there does not seem to be anyone willing or knowing how to get this problem fixed. Unfortunately for me and possibly you, the next phase gets worse as my phone will now not even boot at all. No recognition in Itunes on any machine that I have. I went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1. Being in Australia precludes me from "walking into a Genius bar" and I doubt that they would even look at an unlocked phone. I have had contact with a Canadian company called I am Iphone who suggest they may be able to help but I am reluctant to let go of my phone to possibly never see it again. Maybe someone has had experience with these guys and can vouch for them? Best of luck with yours. If you do manage to get it sorted, I would appreciate knowing what you did
Roman

rotur

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
Adelaide
Which version?

We're you on Itunes 7.4 to do this? If so, where did you get that version from. I'm wondering if the method given on that site for a fix will also apply to 7.5. Haven't tried as yet as I have to rush off to work. Please let me know...especially about the finding of 7.4.x

Roman

angrywaiter

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
We're you on Itunes 7.4 to do this? If so, where did you get that version from. I'm wondering if the method given on that site for a fix will also apply to 7.5. Haven't tried as yet as I have to rush off to work. Please let me know...especially about the finding of 7.4.x

Roman

File Hippo has all the older versions of Itunes available to download.

rotur

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
Adelaide
Mac user

File Hippo has all the older versions of Itunes available to download.

Thanks for the link but I'm on a Mac. And as to the method described for the 1604 fix around, it did not help me as I cannot even get the triangle or any thing else to function on the phone...still dead...and still without any hope it seems

Roman

Davy Rocket

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
I can not restore my iphone using the 1.0.2, 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 firmware. I have read through all the forums and tried all the tricks to get it to restore but it always comes up with the error 1604. I get the 'connect to itunes' screen with no problem and I have tried on Leopard, Tiger and XP using itunes 7.4.2 and 7.5. Does anybody have any clue as to what the problem could be and what I could do to fix it?

This error plagued my iPhone for two weeks. Being as such, I endeavor to find a possible solution. Here is what you should do to make it work. :apple:

http://ivolz.com/2008/05/02/itunes-error-1604/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.