Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
Hi,
I upgraded to 1.1.3 and I am not sure how to download the new apps. Can someone direct me?
and I do not even see the uprade in the itines store.

ONce you have updated BOTH itunes to 7.6 AND the touch, go to the apple website and go to the touch page, there will be a link there to buy and download, the link will direct you to the itunes store and you purchase from there... read this whole thread it will help if things go wrong!

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
yep, i use my ipod on my work computer, but it is linked to my home computers itunes library.

DL'ed the updates at work, but can't sync and the work computer library has only one album, and that i don't particularly like...

will just wait until i get home, hope the update is linked to my itunes account, so i don't have to click "buy update" again....

Can anyone confirm that for me?

yeah i was in the same situation, but i have all my music on both... didn't work with my PC, so i HAD to sync it to the library in which i downloaded the update... I wish I had known this also before i downloaded. I didn't want to pay the 20 bucks again!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
yes it will.. it was the only way i got it to work, i'll just have to remake all my playlists and then sync the music.

No dice! I wouldn't do that even if it did work, and I'm hearing from some that it does not work all the time.

Anyway, I did finally get the applications loaded, but I'm not totally certain how. My first issue, I suppose, was that I have my touch synced to two Macs -- which isn't supposed to work, but does if you manage your music manually. The trick, I guess, was to copy the software to the other Mac and have it update from there. I can't say what the exact sequence was, but it did finally work after a couple more tries, even with music still managed manually and no library erase. Oh, my aching head. :(

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
No dice! I wouldn't do that even if it did work, and I'm hearing from some that it does not work all the time.

Anyway, I did finally get the applications loaded, but I'm not totally certain how. My first issue, I suppose, was that I have my touch synced to two Macs -- which isn't supposed to work, but does if you manage your music manually. The trick, I guess, was to copy the software to the other Mac and have it update from there. I can't say what the exact sequence was, but it did finally work after a couple more tries, even with music still managed manually and no library erase. Oh, my aching head. :(

yeah i understand, i don't think apple thought out all the bugs for installing, the directions seemed so simple, but weren't for some us with different settings. I guess we all who rushed to get it were the test dummies for this update. Glad you got it to work!

Dikkers

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
yeah i was in the same situation, but i have all my music on both... didn't work with my PC, so i HAD to sync it to the library in which i downloaded the update... I wish I had known this also before i downloaded. I didn't want to pay the 20 bucks again!
Yeah, i just decided to sync to work computer and then sync back when i get home and reload music. oh well, but apps working fine now

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Just installed the apps and they are working fine.

Updates iTunes, then firmware on the Touch, then bought the apps via iTunes, it synced for me after I hit the pay button and entered my login/PW. The first time I tried it crashed and I had to buy them again ( I checked my purchase history before I bought them again and it had no record of the first purchase - hope it stays that way ).

Good luck. The apps seem cool;

Weather is ok, but not really much more convenient than browsing to the weather channel page or something. If I check the weather, I want to know more precisely than the closest large city - which is 40-50 miles away.

Maps seem to be formatted and work better than google maps ( IMO ).

Notes - this is what I was waiting for! ( may not be as good as what's to come via 3rd party, but it's way better than what I had )

Mail - Nice, I use it for my ( low-traffic ) gmail account, it's easier than browsing via Safari, just a 1-touch and you're at your Inbox. I didn't think I would use it, but looks like I will.

Stocks - Cool application, again, one-touch quick access, but lacks details, for me it works, but for someone more into stocks, it won't beat whatever website you frequent for the same info.

For me, Mail and Notes, definitely worth $20, free would have been nice, but $20 is worth it to me.

BH

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Well this is maybe a beta test for future application purchasing for the SDK coming out later next month. From what I see, they have some kinks to iron out or people will just keep on losing their apps they bought.

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
Ok, I got it working! Huge thanks to the simple, step-by-step directions.

New problem--I checked my purchases folder and I apparently had an itchy trigger finger. Since it wasn't working immediately (despite having iTunes 7.6 and iPod 1.1.3), I apparently downloaded the $20 thing twice despite only having one Touch. I now know--thanks to this thread--I was supposed to be on manual manage/etc. I've already sent an SOS email to Apple/iTunes, but is there a phone number I can call tomorrow? I'd feel so much better talking to a person about my idiocy.

Ok--new apps to play with. And a whole lot of music and video to restore =)

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
Ok, I got it working! Huge thanks to the simple, step-by-step directions.

New problem--I checked my purchases folder and I apparently had an itchy trigger finger. Since it wasn't working immediately (despite having iTunes 7.6 and iPod 1.1.3), I apparently downloaded the $20 thing twice despite only having one Touch. I now know--thanks to this thread--I was supposed to be on manual manage/etc. I've already sent an SOS email to Apple/iTunes, but is there a phone number I can call tomorrow? I'd feel so much better talking to a person about my idiocy.

Ok--new apps to play with. And a whole lot of music and video to restore =)

I have an email into them too, from when i coudn't get my apps installed... this is where all the contact info is!

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
Well this is maybe a beta test for future application purchasing for the SDK coming out later next month. From what I see, they have some kinks to iron out or people will just keep on losing their apps they bought.

yeah i agree, there were settings that they didn't know about that interfered with the download. Well hopefully now they know! from the email i got from them from when i completed a complaint form, they now are 'working' on it. Hopefully they come up with a different and more efficient way of doing it

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
Just installed the apps and they are working fine.

Updates iTunes, then firmware on the Touch, then bought the apps via iTunes, it synced for me after I hit the pay button and entered my login/PW. The first time I tried it crashed and I had to buy them again ( I checked my purchase history before I bought them again and it had no record of the first purchase - hope it stays that way ).

Good luck. The apps seem cool;

Weather is ok, but not really much more convenient than browsing to the weather channel page or something. If I check the weather, I want to know more precisely than the closest large city - which is 40-50 miles away.

Maps seem to be formatted and work better than google maps ( IMO ).

Notes - this is what I was waiting for! ( may not be as good as what's to come via 3rd party, but it's way better than what I had )

Mail - Nice, I use it for my ( low-traffic ) gmail account, it's easier than browsing via Safari, just a 1-touch and you're at your Inbox. I didn't think I would use it, but looks like I will.

Stocks - Cool application, again, one-touch quick access, but lacks details, for me it works, but for someone more into stocks, it won't beat whatever website you frequent for the same info.

For me, Mail and Notes, definitely worth $20, free would have been nice, but $20 is worth it to me.

BH

yeah i agree. the mail and the notes DEFINITELY think mail and notes are worth it!!! the stocks i don't think i'll really use. the maps are pretty useful too but it can't find where i am for some reason! weather, like you said, is just ok! i would like a little more info!

petal251

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Enable Disk Use on iPod Touch to Fix New Software Upgrade

I accidentally downloaded the new January software BEFORE upgrading my iPod to 1.1.3. Now I've done that, but my January download is done, I can't reactivate it, and synching is not working.

I've read through these posts. Would like to try to uncheck the "Manual Update" and then synch so I can try to get my apps installed. BUT, I have songs on my iPod that I would like to move it iTunes before I do that. But seems like the tools available for that require I somehow hack my iPod to make "enable disk use" available. Am I understanding correctly?

I'd really prefer no hacking. But I want to save my music. Anyone have any ideas?

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
I accidentally downloaded the new January software BEFORE upgrading my iPod to 1.1.3. Now I've done that, but my January download is done, I can't reactivate it, and synching is not working.

I've read through these posts. Would like to try to uncheck the "Manual Update" and then synch so I can try to get my apps installed. BUT, I have songs on my iPod that I would like to move it iTunes before I do that. But seems like the tools available for that require I somehow hack my iPod to make "enable disk use" available. Am I understanding correctly?

I'd really prefer no hacking. But I want to save my music. Anyone have any ideas?

THere are people in here who did that too and when they upgraded to 1.1.3 the apps appeared after syncing. did you get your music on itunes? if you did you can pull ur purchases out of the ipod into itunes. If you didn't, i have no clue how to do it.

petal251

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
THere are people in here who did that too and when they upgraded to 1.1.3 the apps appeared after syncing. did you get your music on itunes? if you did you can pull ur purchases out of the ipod into itunes. If you didn't, i have no clue how to do it.

Yes, I saw that. Not sure why it worked for them and not for me. The music didn't come from iTunes so I'd need to "cheat", but can't even do that without being able to Enable Disk Use on my iPod Touch. Frustrating.

ItouchMe

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

hey...I got a crazy question for u....say your iPod touch gets an error out of no where and u must restore...are u going to have to re-install the apps...and how is apple going to know?

petal251

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Fixed!

Finally got it fixed!

The above instructions to uncheck "Manually manage music and videos" and synch automatically are spot on. That's the only way to get the apps onto the iPod (right now).

BUT FIRST... I had stuff on my iPod I didn't want to loose so I spent $10 on iPhoneDrive to copy files from the iPod to my Mac and it worked great. (This seems to be the easiest way to get around the fact that there is no "Enable Disk Mode" on the iPod Touch. Well worth the $10 for me.)

THEN... my library is much bigger than my iPod so I went into the Music view and did a Cmd+A to select every song and then right clicked and said "Uncheck selection". Then I checked "Sync only checked songs and videos" (in iTunes, iPod Summary tab). That way nothing was put back on my iPod EXCEPT the apps.

FINALLY... after the automatic sync, I turned "manually manage" back on.

HAPPY!

I did have some issues with my podcasts after that. Major problems with podcasts appearing to be copied to my iPod and then not appearing there. I ended up wiping out the iPod (again), unsubscribing and resubscribing to the podcasts, and then manually copying the ones I wanted back onto my blank iPod.

All that... plus $20. ;)

Hope this helps someone!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

hey...I got a crazy question for u....say your iPod touch gets an error out of no where and u must restore...are u going to have to re-install the apps...and how is apple going to know?

The Apps are synced from your computer, so as long as you still have those files on your computer, you are safe.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The above instructions to uncheck "Manually manage music and videos" and synch automatically are spot on. That's the only way to get the apps onto the iPod (right now).

I know this works for some people, but not all, and it apparently is not absolutely necessary. In my case, in the end, I did not need to do this.

The update process is quirky at best!

mparkes

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Spangle, WA
Mine is not working either...but...I have a pending download in my iTunes account that wont download. I click on Download Now but nothing happens. Is there anybody that still CAN'T get it to work show a pending download??

I have a similiar problem - tried to buy a song yesterday and it ended up as a "pending download" but clicking the button to download - nothing happens. The pending refuses to go away and I can't get the song! My CC also shows the transaction as pending... what's the deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.