Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Does anyone have success and/or tips on using a component video switch?

I have a tv with only one HD component video port and two that play 480p. The tv is "ancient" with no HDMI ports. I have my DTV/cable box connected to the HD component input. I want to use a switcher to put both the DTV and AppleTV into the switch and that input into the HDport on the tv. I just purchased a Philips Component video switcher that is supposed to "auto" switch depending on the unit sending a signal.

I can get both units to play on tv in 1080i. But I can't get the unit to auto switch. I'm suspecting the unit, but thought there might be others trying this with AppleTV that would have advise for me.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I got the Pelican one from Gamestop for $79 way back that only has manual switching. I decided to forgo the complexity of auto-switching or one with a remote.

I would make sure your :apple:TV, if in sleep mode, switches when it wakes...

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Does anyone have success and/or tips on using a component video switch?

I have a tv with only one HD component video port and two that play 480p. The tv is "ancient" with no HDMI ports. I have my DTV/cable box connected to the HD component input. I want to use a switcher to put both the DTV and AppleTV into the switch and that input into the HDport on the tv. I just purchased a Philips Component video switcher that is supposed to "auto" switch depending on the unit sending a signal.

I can get both units to play on tv in 1080i. But I can't get the unit to auto switch. I'm suspecting the unit, but thought there might be others trying this with AppleTV that would have advise for me.

the one from audio authority works very well. it auto switches and is flawless. i'm now working with HDMI and i wish they made one that was as simple as that.

PM me if you want to buy my used one. i'm going to stick it on ebay otherwise. check http://www.avsforum.com for unbiased recommendations.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
the one from audio authority works very well. it auto switches and is flawless. i'm now working with HDMI and i wish they made one that was as simple as that.

PM me if you want to buy my used one. i'm going to stick it on ebay otherwise. check http://www.avsforum.com for unbiased recommendations.

What model is that? I might be interested. I'm taking the Philips back to Best Buy.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
I got the Pelican one from Gamestop for $79 way back that only has manual switching. I decided to forgo the complexity of auto-switching or one with a remote.

I would make sure your :apple:TV, if in sleep mode, switches when it wakes...

That could be, how to I check sleep mode?

I think this may not be it, because it wouldn't switch from AppleTV to the cable box when I turned it on and appleTV off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.