Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Subiklim
macrumors 6502

Apple TV HDMI output problem?

I got an apple TV a few weeks ago, worked fine until I installed Take 2 wherein after I would leave it for a few hours, when I would turn the TV back on, it would be flashing "no signal" then for a few seconds tv menu would pop up, then go back to "no signal". I brought it in to apple, they gave me a new one, SAME issue with the new one. Fwiw, this phenomenon does not occur when using component output.

Anyone else experience this?
Subiklim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:23 PM   #2
elmo151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiklim View Post
I got an apple TV a few weeks ago, worked fine until I installed Take 2 wherein after I would leave it for a few hours, when I would turn the TV back on, it would be flashing "no signal" then for a few seconds tv menu would pop up, then go back to "no signal". I brought it in to apple, they gave me a new one, SAME issue with the new one. Fwiw, this phenomenon does not occur when using component output.

no problems here. try another cable, some of them are defective..
elmo151 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:45 PM   #3
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiklim View Post

I have a Samsung 57" DLP HD, and my Apple TV is connected via HDMI. With v. 1.0 and 1.1, when I switched my Samsumg's input selector to HDMI, I would get a weird, bad screen, and often the sound would be static.

With v 2.0, the Sammy is happy -- it tells me "No Signal" and I then see the Apple TV resetting its HDMI output, and then I see the Apple TV screen saver.

This could be an issue with your HDMI input and the way V 2. 0 is resetting its output. (Of course I have no solution for you, but perhaps there's something on your TV Mfr's website?)
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:59 AM   #4
LukeD
macrumors newbie

I got an apple TV yesterday and I'm having the same issue as the OP. TV is a Samsung LE40A557P2FXXU, 40" LCD. Running over HDMI works ok occasionally, but sometimes doesn't (it just starts out with the symptoms below). Without fail, swapping to a different input source on the TV and then back causes the screen to come up with "Searching for signal", display the Apple TV input for a second then flicker off back to the searching dialogue - its almost like it somehow can't "lock on" to the HDMI input or something? Anyhow, I'm able to run it via component so it isn't a big deal to me, just vaguely irritating, but if anyone comes up with a solution, or can use details of my experience to work out what is happening, so much the better.

Luke
LukeD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:57 PM   #5
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Did this issue get sorted? I have a Apple TV with v3.01 on connected to my Humax TV (720p), with an HDMI cable v1.3

the main menus are rock steady, but in the iTunes bits eg search movie I get flickering and black screen. Why only in these menus? Is it the same issue?

Please help
thanks
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Smurfman
macrumors newbie

My AppleTV is so inconsistent in day to day use. One day, everything's fine. The next day I may get an HDMI message 15 minutes into a movie saying the content can't be displayed and to use component... Why did it decide to give this message 15 minutes after starting the movie (which I purchased on the AppleTV?!?!?).

Other nights the AppleTV won't even show up on our Toshiba 36" LCD TV. I usually have to unplug AppleTV and then plug it back in to get it to work. Hello, Apple, why leave out a POWER SWITCH?!??!?!?!?!?

Still other days, like tonight, the AppleTV does both. Gives me an HDMI error while watching a movie, then disappears from the TV. The Toshiba gives a "no signal found" message. I have restarted (unplugged) the AppleTV twice shut the TV down and unplugged all cables and plugged them back in without any success.

I'm tired of the AppleTV being a "hobby"! I've been an Apple supporter for over 16+ years and cannot believe they released such a product and that it hasn't had hardly any attention over the past few years. When it works, it's GREAT! I love it, but it is not a typical Apple product (in regards to the "it just works" phrase). It plain sucks right now.
Smurfman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:39 PM   #7
dasmb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
my Humax TV (720p)
I hope you are aware that your TV is a piece of ****, and thus unlikely to work with anything ever. Open it up some time. It's made mostly of ashes, paperclips, and the children of NVA spies.
dasmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
markgpearse
macrumors member

No Signal Issue

Apple TV is *****. I constantly have to unplug it to get a signal to the tv. I don't have this issue with other HDMI connected devices.
markgpearse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater