Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Best way to group movies in iTunes

So I have all the Bond films ripped from my DVDs (Eventually) and I was wondering whats the best way of grouping them all together in iTunes, I've tried setting them as a compilation, but thats not working.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
bond007hmss
macrumors newbie

There are a couple of different methods you can try. You can try changing the titles to something like: James Bond 01: Dr. No., and so on. or you can try creating a specialized genre such as Action/Spy/Bond. and then just sort the films this way. This will only work in list view though, the first method should work in any view.
bond007hmss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:27 PM   #3
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
why not make an album?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markleshark View Post
So I have all the Bond films ripped from my DVDs (Eventually) and I was wondering whats the best way of grouping them all together in iTunes, I've tried setting them as a compilation, but thats not working.

Any ideas?
A few ideas. If you want to just name them what they are (Dr. No, GoldenEye, Moonraker, etc.), best idea is to create a standard playlist and drag them all there...OR you could create one, put the Artist (or another field) as "James Bond" and then do a smart playlist.

You could also name them "James Bond - Dr. No," "James Bond - From Russia with Love," etc. Then they will list together in your Movies list. If you want them in order, you can either do the standard playlist thing and order them yourself, put the year in and sort the playlist via that, or call them "James Bond 1 - Dr. No," etc.

I just have all of my movies named what they are and have a few movie playlists for series (Bond, Indy Jones, Back to the Future, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings).

Tomorrow, kids, we can spend 2 hours on how to organize 500GB of TV shows.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:15 AM   #5
heyadol
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to heyadol
You could always use the "Sorting" tab. That way, you could name your movie whatever you want and label them in the order you would like in the "Sort Name" box. After that, even if you sort by name in the main iTunes window they will still show in the correct order (ie. it will override the alphanumerical for those particular items).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	323
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	108775  
heyadol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I ended up making an album, so putting in 1, 2, 3, etc of 21.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Non-Euclidean
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
You could always use the "Sorting" tab. That way, you could name your movie whatever you want and label them in the order you would like in the "Sort Name" box. After that, even if you sort by name in the main iTunes window they will still show in the correct order (ie. it will override the alphanumerical for those particular items).
Perfect, Thank You

I needed it for my Rambo movies in the Action category, and when I get around to my Bonds and Palmers in Spy, it will be used there.
Non-Euclidean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Big Stevie
macrumors 6502a

Thanks to this forum, I learnt about iFLicks yesterday. Ive downloaded their free 15 day trial app and i can now drag my ripped DVD's into iFlicks and it creates artwork for the DVD cover image.

Ive started to put my rips into iTunes and it looks a lot more professional with the new artwork than before. They now look like ive bought them from iTunes Store. They also appear this way on my iPhone5. iFlicks is a great app.

Last edited by Big Stevie; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Big Stevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:08 PM   #9
4kids4me
macrumors newbie

Sorting

I am using the sorting field which is awesome but when I have 10 or more then it doesn't put them after 9 how can I fix this?

Thanks
4kids4me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
davidg4781
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4me View Post
I am using the sorting field which is awesome but when I have 10 or more then it doesn't put them after 9 how can I fix this?

Thanks
You'd probably have to start with 01 instead of 1.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
You'd probably have to start with 01 instead of 1.
That's what I'd go with - it's a straight-up alphabetic sort, and that's what I use to group all of my "series" movies. I haven't tried the method of using the album field - are there any advantages to using that rather than just the sorting field?
Lord Hamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store