Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hey I just received my MacBook from overseas, I haven't used it in a year. Anyway, it was well packed and it's working fine with absolutely no signs of damage. Accept for the track pad button not working - any ideas? Perhaps I've disabled it and forgot I did (and how to reactivate it again).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
Hey I just received my MacBook from overseas, I haven't used it in a year. Anyway, it was well packed and it's working fine with absolutely no signs of damage. Accept for the track pad button not working - any ideas? Perhaps I've disabled it and forgot I did (and how to reactivate it again).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

by trackpad button do u mean the actual "clicker" or like wen i activate to trackpad to click when u tap it?

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Yeah the trackpad works fine, I just mean the big oblong button beneath it. THanks.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Weird, it won't seem to work in windows (either booted through bootcamp or through parallels). The only thing I can think of that is different since I last used it is that my old man forgot to ship the battery (cheers dad!) so I'm running it straight of the mains - this couldn't make a difference though surely?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Weird, it won't seem to work in windows (either booted through bootcamp or through parallels). The only thing I can think of that is different since I last used it is that my old man forgot to ship the battery (cheers dad!) so I'm running it straight of the mains - this couldn't make a difference though surely?

Well if you removed the battery or something, you may have messed up the trackpad, you can see the trackpad from underneath of the macbook when the battery is removed.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hmmm I really not sure how but I suppose that is possible - any other suggestions? I suppose it not wanting to work in XP indicates it is a hardware problem... ****.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Well if you removed the battery or something, you may have messed up the trackpad, you can see the trackpad from underneath of the macbook when the battery is removed.

You were right man, I've fixed the problem now thanks for the heads up. If you look underneath the trackpad in the battery compartment, you can see a copper wire that extends from a circular indent in the metal. Well I just pushed this in with a unlit cigarette and now it seems to work again, werid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.