Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
It's not in the Office suite for mac, so anything else for Desktop Publishing on the mac? What's a popular app for that? Should I learn InDesign in CS3? I found that MS Publisher is pretty user friendly and gets the job done.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The version of Word in Office 2008 does all the same stuff that Publisher does I believe.

It now works in two modes. Word Processing and DTP.

Cheers.

Really? Cause Word and Pub are totally different in the MS suite.

Has Office o8 fixed their bugs? I read a lot of bad things about it when it first came out.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Really? Cause Word and Pub are totally different in the MS suite.

Has Office o8 fixed their bugs? I read a lot of bad things about it when it first came out.

Agreed, that in the Windows world, Word and Publisher are different animals completely.

I'm not an expert, but at my MUG meeting just last night we had a 2 1/2 hour presentation from the Mac Office Product Lead from Microsoft taking us through Office 2008. During that time, he created a really nice looking brochure for a non-existent company and it was quick and easy.

And there are still some issues with Office 2008 for Mac, MS are aware of them (in particular long load times for Word) and are diligently working on them. I've been using it for a couple of months now and it's pretty solid. They've done some really good things with this version. If they can just speed it up a bit, I think it's a winner.

Check out a demo and see if it works for what you want.

Good luck and cheers.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I feel that once you get used to Pages 08 it is a superior tool than both Word or Publisher. But it's designed like a Mac app, not a Windows app, so there may be a bit less of a learning curve using Word.

There are more powerful alternatives for professionals though, like InDesign.

TrickyTank

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Forgot about quark, what's an industry standard? Popular?
I thought Quark was rather standard and popular, and even quite good. I haven't actually used it myself. (no need)
At least looking on Wikipedia (although prone to error) it suggests that Quark is one of the two programs, apart from Adobe InDesign that dominate the market for what they do.

ianhutch

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
I've used Publishing Partner on an Atari since the early 1990s and it is now Pagestream from http://www.pagestream.org & is a Windoze, Mac, Linux & Amiga programme. The Mac version for OSX is a stable Beta but it has very many features not on other publishers. The cross-platform ability has been very useful. It prices at about £99.

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
Another vote for Pages here, Quark and InDesign are in no way comparable to any of the programs referred to here - they both cost close to $1000, and are designed for professional publishing experts. I think Pages has a much faster learning curve than trying to do the same things in Word - sure, an MS employee who has rehearsed the demo a hundred times makes it look easy - it isn't. By the way, Word has no such DTP/WP split - Pages does.

dmz

Linnie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Microsoft Publisher

I just recently switched to a Mac from a PC and cannot open my Microsoft Publisher files!! Any help? I am an artist and have designed most of my brochures, resumes, and certificates in either Indesign, Illustrator, or Publisher. I can buy Adobe products for Mac (ouch!!) but I don't know of anything that will open my publisher docs? Help.......

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Pages can't even cope with having mixed portrait and landscape pages in one document, so i don't imagine it would be of any use at all for publishing.

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I just recently switched to a Mac from a PC and cannot open my Microsoft Publisher files!! Any help? I am an artist and have designed most of my brochures, resumes, and certificates in either Indesign, Illustrator, or Publisher. I can buy Adobe products for Mac (ouch!!) but I don't know of anything that will open my publisher docs? Help.......

Talk to Microsoft. Nothing except Publisher can open Publisher files, period. Not on a Mac, not on a PC. Your options for running Publisher on a Mac is to use Crossover, Parallels, Fusion, etc. to run Windows Office 2007 on the Mac.

And consider moving to a better program than Publisher. Most "professional" printers look down their noses at Publisher-created files.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
... designed most of my brochures, resumes, and certificates in either Indesign, Illustrator, or Publisher. I can buy Adobe products for Mac (ouch!!) ...

I can't help you with Publisher, but contact Adobe and ask about a "cross-grade" license. If Adobe still does cross-grades, it'll be much cheaper than buying new.

jeremyfouse

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Wichita
HTML emails

I am not a printer or a designer of any sort but I create html style emails in Publisher for many different reasons. I can't find a way to do this with the iWork suite or Office on Mac. Am I missing something or is this not possible? If not possible, then is there a program that I can do this in such as the Swift Publisher that a couple people posted about?

Thanks for a help. I am ready to get rid of Windows all together but I still carry one of those small Acer netbooks just to use Publisher. Please help me, ha!

Artist-Teacher

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
DTP Software

I have used DTP programs such as PageMaker, Quark, and InDesign professionally. I currently have Word 2004 for Mac. Trying to do anything in Word I find myself extremely frustrated wanting the program to do more and more easily like the DTP programs. As it stands now, I would discourage anyone using Word as a layout program however, it is great as a word processor. Quark is easy to use, I started using it a day I had to create a full page add for a auto dealership and learn the program at the same time with no training. I was able to easily manipulate the items and have the program do what I needed it to do. After over 20 yrs working with it, and programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop, I find myself after 6 years dabbling in Word off and on, on the Mac, a pain. I am not familiar with Office 2008 nor the version of Publisher suggested. For the graduate course I am taking, they just use Word and Office suite programs so I am slowly learning them but I would advise anyone that has an option to stay with Quark or InDesign. If you are an educator or student, you can get both rather cheap, comparatively. :)

papabill

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
I've been using MS Publisher for the last 6 years to publish our church bulletin, and in an attempt to abandon Microsoft completely, I'm looking for a good replacement. And if possible, a FREE one. I'm extremely new to the Mac scene (running a PowerMac G4 AGP w/1 Gb memory and 10.4.11), and I'm doing my best to completely get away from PCs (and Micro$oft). I could also use a good list of (free) Mac apps to replace PC apps.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I've been using MS Publisher for the last 6 years to publish our church bulletin, and in an attempt to abandon Microsoft completely, I'm looking for a good replacement. And if possible, a FREE one. I'm extremely new to the Mac scene (running a PowerMac G4 AGP w/1 Gb memory and 10.4.11), and I'm doing my best to completely get away from PCs (and Micro$oft). I could also use a good list of (free) Mac apps to replace PC apps.

You might try Scribus a free and open source Desktop publishing program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.