Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Getting 3 Black ones all 16Gig.
Hope AT&T will discount it further.

Too bad no front camera and no iChat, but very happy with it.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I hate the fact that this phone is plastic. For me, a glass/metal phone, is well worth the extra money...

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I am a little underwelmed with this update. I guess I will have to wait until the new phones actually become available and some people check them out before I decide if I am going to "hand-me-down" my Gen 1 iPhone.

As it is - it looks like the only big "improvements" are the inclusion of GPS and the faster network speed. Otherwise, it is pretty much exactly the same phone as the Gen1 iPhone I currently have. Same processor. Same memory. Lesser parts/materials.

I'm interested to see how the GPS works, and I'd like to see some of the apps that get made for the app store.

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I wont be buying one for awhile...

Complaints

No front-facing camera, its a pain to have to flip the phone around to take a snap-shot of myself or myself with someone else..

I would of easily paid $699 for these features + smaller designed (I LOVED the mockup with the Product RED)

a pain?? yea cuz its so hard to bend your wrist around to take the photo. haha

the idea was to get these phone out in the public..that price tag would scare most would-be users away.

SisterRay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
UK
I find it disappointing that the camera has not been improved and it does not have a 32Gb option.

The reason for my disappointment, is that what I want is to be able to carry one device to be able to do everything I want such as

Take half decent pictures and video
Have the vast majority of songs available to listen to

If these were available I would buy one, but now I am in two minds about it, I don't want to find out they upgrade three months later. I may wait until Christmas or the new year for the next revisions

Any news on UK prices and whether you can buy it unlocked?

Rspaight

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
Guys, speculating about how they cut the price is silly. This is still a $399 phone, now with a $200 subsidy.

The iPod touch is for people who don't want a 2-year phone contract. (Or don't want to jailbreak a phone.)

Again, the unanswered question is -- will you pay $399 for this and then get a $200 rebate on your first AT&T bill? Or will you pay $199 with a signed contract? And in either case, what happens to people that already have AT&T contracts?

kungming2

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Hmmmm, last I checked $199 + $200 (early termination fee) = $399....

I suggest you take a math class...

No one on eBay is going to buy an "old" iPhone for more than $150 knowing a new one is coming out for $199. They hardly care whether or not the seller had to break the contract.

I suggest you take an econ class. :p

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
No, it has a GPS chip in it. AGPS uses triangulation to lock on.

from webpage:
Find yourself.
iPhone 3G finds your location via GPS or by triangulating your position using Wi-Fi and cellular towers. It also finds points of interest by keyword: Search for “coffee” and iPhone shows you every cafe nearby

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I hope it is unlocked in the UK. I'm really nonplussed about all of the carriers, but I can do without the hassle of switching and trying to keep my number...

I wonder how much the contract will be?

Also, who really gives a toss about the 2MPx camera? If you wanna take photos, take a decent camera with you. The N95 camera is great for a phone camera, but I'd never take anything more than snapshots on it...

O2 haven't said anything yet, but the rumour is that it'll be full price on PayT and cheaper on contract, like a normal phone. Certainly the UK apple store doesn't say contract required.. but it doesn't really say anything yet so I'm not sure how much to read into that.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I'm not sure why everyone think that Assisted GPS is somehow worse than having "regular" GPS. A-GPS just means that when the GPS satellite signal is poor, the phone can use cell network data as well as assistance servers to help calculate your position more accurately and with less CPU use. The phone still must have a bona-fide GPS receiver in it.

anmoldagreat

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
seattle
I think a better question would be "how are you gonna look using an (arguably) inferior device only because it has a more diverse functionality than the other more popular option?"

Seriously, other than image, physical keyboard, and WindozeM, what is RIM offering that iPhone can't deliver?

rim doesnt do winmo
they have their own bb software

and its not just rim
theres a ton of other phones out there that still kill the iphone and business users will find need or want for those features.

collegedu3

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Apple is digging themselves a hole...huge price cut every 6 months or so and with memory upgrade.

So what's the point of upgrading your phone when cheaper and better is coming in 6 months?

Uh... welcome to technology.

With your fantastic analysis, I guess the whole technology industry is going down.

thaitillidie

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
Bad news travels quickly

...like the title of my reply reads: "Bad news travels quickly"

Already this story has made it's way to ALL the major news networks, cable AND online! People who didn't even know what a freakin' iphone was before today are already gathering up their pennies -- because that's LITERALLY all it's gonna take to buy one! lololol

john789

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
Awwwww bummer

Awww i was so excited with the conference and the release of the 3G iphone.....now i just feel sad and dissapointed. I mean i was expecting some other major changes to it. 3G and Gps are indeed awesome and the price is amaizing but i was expecting some other changes like the front camera for ichat, a (red) model, a 32GB model for $299....lol

Ohh well i just my ipod touch 2 weeks ago because i wanted to get the iphone 3G.....looks like ill be waiting a long time before i can multi touch again. I wont buy the new iphone right now because i KNOW theres a 32GB model coming out soon and/or an amazing new model in january so i think ill wait however long......... :(

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
lol...dude, I REALLY don't mean to be condescending but...consider what you're getting for $199 and that'll answer your question lol!!

I have considered it. All I'm saying is Apple gets way more money from ATT kickbacks then it does from hardware sales. They would still be making a profit at 299. I know it's probably just wishful thinking but.... here's to hoping.:D

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Kinda hard to top the iPhone but they did a very nice update with an amazing price, of course with a contract (which BTW I HATE!).

Not sure about the new back, I thought Apple loved the style of Aluminum and how it was recyclable that's what I call bait and switch! Afraid it will scratch up the back pretty bad, though not as bad as a normal iPod of course. I would guess it would get better signal too.

Also what's up with the extra .7mm on a device that is thinner! At least it is 1.5% lighter :p! (133g vs 135g)

And doesn't look like I can order online so maybe no hacking for this one :( Guess we need to get ATT here!

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Apple is digging themselves a hole...huge price cut every 6 months or so and with memory upgrade.

So what's the point of upgrading your phone when cheaper and better is coming in 6 months?
OK, by that logic the entire home computing market shouldn't exist at all. I mean, there was a time when a home computer cost upwards of $5000-$10,000. What's the point of getting one if they're going to be faster and cheaper in the future?

Either buy it or don't.

I'm more interested to see how much the market bottoms out on the used first gen iPhones. :D

milaround

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Apple website.

Specifically no mention of sales online.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

No purchassse via Apple retail stores in UK, only CPW and O2, so has to be a traditional paper contract.

There is nothing on the apple website that states that it will not be sold online. Although it mentions "Apple Retail Stores and AT&T Stores" to have availability of them, by no means does it discount the online sales of them. Therefore as of now, there is no credible source to confirm that the new iPhone will not be sold online.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
lol they still offer the old iphone but at least u can fill out a form that informs u when the new iPhone will be aviable (sp)

Oh, sorry man. I forgot that you had had the old iPhone in Germany:) Well...

On another note:

Is it possible to transfer images to your iPhone using a USB connection, e.g. from a card reader, or can you only do it using iPhoto like the iPod Touch? I find it a bit odd that I can't go on a vacation, transfer my photos to the iPhone/iPod to view them without having a laptop with you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.