Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kungming2

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Darn - I was hoping for an upgraded camera... the 2MP one just doesn't cut it.

I tried searching through the tech specs on Apple.com, but I see nothing on the type of 802.11 support they'll be providing. - I really want N.

I don't understand why anyone would need 802.11N on an iPhone - you're not watching HD files on it, and no internet speed now is even close to the speed of G. So I think this hubbub of no N is not really that relevant...

freeman24

Aug 14, 2006
VERY interesting as mentioned by a previous poster.... the US store states a 2-year contract w/ AT&T is required... the UK store just states "Wireless Service" and there's not a mention of 02 to be found... other than that they will sell the phone too...

unlocked UK phones? unpossible....:confused:

My thoughts exactly! UK phones UNLOCKED i think :rolleyes:

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Here's how Apple cut costs, to keep the same quality, but with more features:

1. Same memory size - still 8/16GB. I was hoping for 32, so I could have a couple movies, all my music, and some apps...

2. No more dock included - saves a bit of money, and now Apple can sell them as optional accessories for way over the price they were selling them for before (free with new iPhone), and basically print their own money.

3. The AC adapter is now a more optimized, and very likely cheaper one. It's tiny, so uses less material... also has less parts.

4. The processor in the iPhone is the same, as are many other components (like the screen), therefore prices are probably getting lower for those components.

So you see, Apple doesn't have to 'cut corners' to reduce the price.

I will be getting one of these iPhones as soon as I can find one in a store.

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
somehow the "fake" pictures from the last days appear to be as fake anymore.

considering one of them at the end of the year, have no use currently.

If the plans aren't raping me on data charges that is.

bobertian

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
gosh, its nice to be able to post on MacRumors again... no longer an apple employee, should have got one before i quit :D

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Has anyone noticed that on the US store it says on the requirements:

AT&T service
(minimum two-year agreement)

on UK store it only says:

Wireless service

I think UK are getting unlocked phones!!!!

Nice find! :) I hope so too. At the very least, there'll be other choices than O2, surely? :D

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Hmm as I read it, it doesn't have proper GPS - isn't A-GPS what e.g. Nokia phones have had for 2-3 years, meaning it can ONLY base your position on cell antennas - no satellite GPS reception? If it had real GPS I suspect Steve would have demonstrated that more thoroughly...

No, it has a GPS chip in it. AGPS uses triangulation to lock on.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
I wont be buying one for awhile...

Complaints
Ugly Bulging Back made of PLASTIC O_O.. The brushed aluminum was amazing, this just makes the iPhone look cheap (which, I guess it is isn't it?)

No front-facing camera, its a pain to have to flip the phone around to take a snap-shot of myself or myself with someone else..

No 32GB model, would of deff been amazing to have that..

Dunno if its fully AGPS, but if so, that sucks because you can't have GPS without cellular service (maybe im wrong, dunno)

I would of easily paid $699 for these features + smaller designed (I LOVED the mockup with the Product RED)

IMHO, this is a huge Flop. Apple could of done so much better, Steve you are loosing your edge :(.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Thinner?

Where does Jobs get off claiming that the new iPhone is thinner? The tech specs clearly indicate that it is 0.02" thicker than the original iPhone.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Perhaps not, but there's still a large amount of people who a) don't want to leave their current carrier or b) don't want to pay for a contract. Maybe we'll see a price drop soon? :eek:

Soon = September/October/November. Definitely atfer the back to school special.

Something just occurred to me. Every year Apple has given away free iPods to college/university students in the summer to clear out old stock to make way for the new iPods released each fall. Assuming that the iPhone 3g is sold unlocked, perhaps they're giving away the iPod touch this year with the plan of replacing it completely with the iPhone.

I'm not sure they will get rid of it and replace it w/ the iPhone, but there will definitely be an update later this year.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I'm very excited, but kinda bummed at the same time that I didn't sell my current iPhone for $300.00 last week...who's gonna pay this dollar amount now?
And I'm ready to buy the 3G iPhone...but WAIT - Apple isn't taking pre-orders online...WTF?:(

thaitillidie

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
predictions

I'm so happy! :D As a 16 year old, I can now afford this amazing iPhone! :cool: All I have to do now is convince my dad to let me get it... ;)

Get ready, upwards-of-$100K/year-salary-earning business people --- you're gonna hear those words uttered the world over!!

And how are you gonna look (your image, your reputation etc etc etc) checking your corporate email on the same device some teeny bopper is using to beat his high score on PacMan?!!! Hilarious.

Keep your blackberrys. They're still pretty much immune to teenager-itis!!

Bobthemonkey

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
It's interesting that the 'Where to buy' page on Apple UK only lists O2 and Carphone Warehouse. In other words, it looks like you can't buy it from Apple.

I believe that this confirms the handset is now subsidised and can only be purchased on contract.

The reason being that a mobile phone contract in the UK amounts to a credit agreement and can only be sold once the salesperson has the proper authorizaton (very basic, but still must be done). O2 and CPW staff will have this, but apple staff will not, hence apple not being listed as a seller in the UK.

Or, to put it somewhat more succinctly; Arse.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Disappointments:
- No mention of copy & paste in iPhone Software 2.0
- MobileMe/.mac is horrendously overpriced - basically it appears to let you sync some information over the air rather than using iTunes. Hardly a compelling offering.
- iPhone no longer sold via apple.com (presumably because of the subsidy arrangements)
- iPhone Drive Capacity
- AT&T rate plans are ominously absent from the Apple website. The smart money would be on higher monthly charges IMO.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I'm bummed about the camera: 3-5 megapix is the standard on phones of this caliber now, many with flash and even optical zoom. :(

I'm going to have to agree !

I will have to read some amazing reviews before I buy into this phone.

Apple numbers are always very liberal :rolleyes:

If the battery is worth a sh-t, then this will be the "phone" to have.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL

Complaints
Ugly Bulging Back made of PLASTIC O_O.. The brushed aluminum was amazing, this just makes the iPhone look cheap (which, I guess it is isn't it?)

No front-facing camera, its a pain to have to flip the phone around to take a snap-shot of myself or myself with someone else..

Dunno if its fully AGPS, but if so, that sucks because you can't have GPS without cellular service (maybe im wrong, dunno)

I would of easily paid $699 for these features + smaller designed (I LOVED the mockup with the Product RED)

IMHO, this is a huge Flop. Apple could of done so much better, Steve you are loosing your edge :(.

You have GOT to be joking...

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I like it but am very disappointed to see Apple revert back to plastic, anyone who has an old iPod will know how scratched TF they get and how everyone kicked off when they look knackered after a couple of months. My 1st gen iPhone still looks pristine, I guess its all about mass selling :(

Most phones and electronic devices are plastic... and many plastics are more scratch-resistant now than the kind Apple used on their first generations of iPods (one of which I had).

Also, with GPS and all the other wireless features (including GSM, EDGE, 3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.), the signal is infinitely better going through plastic than metal... and the antenna also uses parts of the iPhone like the metal bezel to increase reception.

Granted, the aluminum on the original iPhone will probably stand the test of time a little better, but on my iPod Touch, the metal back is all scratched up from just a few months of use, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i cant wait to see how much it'll be in germany i bet they'll just get rid of the $ and add a € HOW MEAN i must say

im also kinda disappointed mostly bc of the freaking 2 MP camera. Imagining your friends asking u how much it has and u answer with 2 while their freaking 1 year old phones have at least 5 MP but besides this im satisfied and cant wait for july

i hope the contract will remain the same cuz i dont really want to pay more then 49 euro but i have my doubts considering it uses 3G which dataplan is more expensive

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Would consumers really think that far though? Getting an iPhone for $200 bucks is very easy to rationalize. Consumers are unlikely to add up those additional costs FUTURE costs when the iPhone is so easily within their grasp.

I would say, 'well why would I want to pay $100 more for a product that can do less?' [Such a phenomenon was present in the '90s when GM came out with its electric car - future savings/costs were not accounted for in purchase decisions.]

Not quite the same...the "future" cost would be as soon as they try to use it...like, an hour later...

I think Apple will require some form of contract / agreement in-store.

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005

Complaints

I so so agree with you, Im waiting for next generation, the one that will cost slightly more and not be made of plastic :p

Schizophrenic

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Here's how Apple cut costs, to keep the same quality, but with more features:

1. Same memory size - still 8/16GB. I was hoping for 32, so I could have a couple movies, all my music, and some apps...

2. No more dock included - saves a bit of money, and now Apple can sell them as optional accessories for way over the price they were selling them for before (free with new iPhone), and basically print their own money.

3. The AC adapter is now a more optimized, and very likely cheaper one. It's tiny, so uses less material... also has less parts.

4. The processor in the iPhone is the same, as are many other components (like the screen), therefore prices are probably getting lower for those components.

So you see, Apple doesn't have to 'cut corners' to reduce the price.

I will be getting one of these iPhones as soon as I can find one in a store.

you forgot about replacing the alum with plastic! plastic and assembled in china :rolleyes: hmmmm

nate22195

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Los Angeles
No camera?

I dont know why people are making such a big deal about no camera improvement. If someone enjoys taking pictures that much, they usually have a quality digital camera. Especially with the small sizes and cheaper prices. Why limit yourself to the iphone's small camera. The iPhone is wonderful, I love mine, but its not going to have EVERYTHING in it. Good work apple, I'll see you on July 11th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.