Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

200040-ofi_screenshot_03.png

iPhone Central took a brief look at Omni Group's iPhone version of their task management application, OmniFocus. OmniFocus won Best of Show at Macworld San Francisco 2008.
We’ve built OmniFocus to take a load off your mind by managing your tasks the way that you want, freeing you to focus your attention on the things that matter to you most.
The iPhone version adds location support, which can prioritize tasks geographically:
Using your location, OmniFocus can create a custom list of actions to complete nearby. Buying groceries? OmniFocus can show you the closest grocery store and create an instant shopping list.
More screenshots are provided at OmniGroup. The iPhone version allows you to enter tasks and sync with the Mac OS X version of Omni Focus. No pricing has been announced but they expect OmniFocus to be available in the iTunes App Store at launch.

Article Link

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I have literally been waiting for this for so long now, ever since I first read on their blog about it way back when. It will make managing tasks that much better. I heart OmniFocus (thanks robbieduncan for first telling me about it) :)

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I like the idea of having location sensitive to do lists. I often find myself running across town to complete a task, and only after I get back home do I realize that there was a store just around the corner that I wanted to go to. Especially with the price of gas these days.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
This sounds like a great app. I hope its free. :D

I doubt it would be though. And theres no reason it should be free.

All the same, this app will do great on the iPhone. They put a lot of thought in there and i think it will be a success. :)

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
This sounds like a great app. I hope its free. :D

I doubt it would be though. And theres no reason it should be free.

Yeah, aren't they still charging for a web browser? Omni is good at over charging, don't see why this would be any different.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Yeah, aren't they still charging for a web browser? Omni is good at over charging, don't see why this would be any different.

Eh, it's just wishful thinking. :)

OY!! $80. Is it worth that? I can see it easily being $30-45 for the iPhone, or atleast $20...

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Perfect. Online auto-syncing and location-aware? That's, like exactly what I asked for, only better. I need a change of shorts now.

*impatiently marks days until T-Mobile contract expires*

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
now this seems like a nice app, though i'm afraid to see how much it'll cost

My guess is that it will be one of the more expensive apps we see go on the App Store market. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks...

BASE91

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Looks like a great app. Agree with others about the price. We'll have to wait and see... I'll definitely be taking a look at this.

Now... can someone explain the logic why apple would not allow us to sync the built in "To Do List"? I know apple likes to "do" their own thing but isn't this on anyone's list to add?

Oh wait...they don't have a "TO DO LIST"

billedluh

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
step futher

Location based to do is a great idea, but they need to now talk google into including the locations of items at the grocery store into their maps api and this app would be rocking. Think of it. I write down the things i need to get at the store, and not only does it tell me when i'm close to the store, but it geometrically calculates the fastest route through the supermarket. The epitome of efficiency and practicality.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
it would be nice if owners of omnifocus (like me) could get this at a drastically reduced price (like free). Seems like it's double dipping a little. Especially considering omnifocus already syncs to ical. Looks more like an add-on

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Don't tell OmniGroup, but I'd probably pay the same again as the desktop client. Maybe even more as this will be more useful! :eek:

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
Will this sync over the air with the desktop version or will I need to do a USB sync through iTunes? Also, will it stay in sync with more than one computer (ie. office and home) and the iPhone, like mobileme?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Will this sync over the air with the desktop version or will I need to do a USB sync through iTunes? Also, will it stay in sync with more than one computer (ie. office and home) and the iPhone, like mobileme?

OmniGroup have said it will sync over the air using a WebDAV server. Mobileme is a WebDAV server...

schizox

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
After reading all the posts here, I don't see why Omni would and should cheapen their application at all. It's obvious that you guys will end up shelling the cash at their high asking price anyway.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
i'm interested to see what apps will be costing once they start to come out. i honestly can't see myself spending more than $5 for any app.

After reading all the posts here, I don't see why Omni would and should cheapen their application at all. It's obvious that you guys will end up shelling the cash at their high asking price anyway.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
This looks great and ive heard others talking about this being the best task manager. At the moment im using the Notes app and its not great.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I'm using evernote right now, which is proving useful for outlining my thoughts and notes, but it's not perfect as a task manager. From what I've seen from OmniFocus, it's everything that I'm looking for in a task manager and I really hope they get the syncing right (ie. over the air, automatic) between the iPhone and multiple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.