Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I was just wondering do you think that the SDK could bring other browsers to the iPhone?

Not that i want anything other than Safari but thought there could be a possibility!

Thanks

Ben

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Yea thats going to be the only prob! will apple approve?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
no, AFAIK, apple does not allow app like firefox to run on iPhone, because that would open too many doors.

mobileFirefox will be on linux/WM based device, probably competing with OperaMINI/Mobile

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Opera Mini was ported to Google's Android a couple of days ago. I don't see why not for OS X although Mobile Safari is a foking solid mobile browser :cool:.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I had firefox installed on my home PC and I just took it out after a few days.
Not really impressed with it. Compettition is good, a worst browser IMO would be useless and would slow down web browsing on the iphone.

its a mistake to compare firefox 2 @pc and firefoxmobiel on mobile devices. safari on mac/windows can be a memory hog, mobilesafari can crash on iphone from time to time, do we judge them based on the other version? no, not to mention mobileFirefox is based gecko 1.9, you should at least try firefox 3 before making statements.

worst browser? worse than IE on your pc? :eek: anyway, when did you tried mobile firefox on iphone? No? then I would advise you reserve the judgment until you try it....

slow down web browsing? its not like mobileSafari is fast in any sense....LOL, Its SLOW.. and Im not talking about slow speed to receive data through EDGE, Im talking about slow speed of rendering page...
Opera Mini was ported to Google's Android a couple of days ago. I don't see why not for OS X although Mobile Safari is a foking solid mobile browser :cool:.

OperaMINI is a java app, iphone needs to support JVM first.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Oh no, Clevin the Firefox man to the rescue :D
lol

oh, thank load I rescued u...lol,,,, realistically, you, me, and everybody, probably will have no chance to try mobilefirefox on iPhone. why bother making statement anyway. You are safe in your world of iphone with safari, indeed. MobileFirefox really doesn't affect you at all.:)

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
I hate to bring up a near dead thread, but wouldn't mobile Firefox have a working Flash player? Does Apple hate Flash so much they'd deny a viable, working browser App that has features Safari does not?

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I hate to bring up a near dead thread, but wouldn't mobile Firefox have a working Flash player? Does Apple hate Flash so much they'd deny a viable, working browser App that has features Safari does not?

No.
Flash has to do with plug-ins, not the browser. If there's no Adobe Flash plug-in, there's no Flash, regardless of browser.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I had firefox installed on my home PC and I just took it out after a few days.
Not really impressed with it. Compettition is good, a worst browser IMO would be useless and would slow down web browsing on the iphone.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
You like IE better than Firefox??? Dude.... I'm speechless.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Ok. So what's keeping another company from making an Adobe Flash plug-in App?

Adobe is the only company that could make a Flash plug-in for the iPhone.
The terms of the SDK prohibit developers from creating applications that run scripts in other applications.

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
The terms of the SDK prohibit developers from creating applications that run scripts in other applications.

Ah. So what started the whole fiasco?

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I'm almost 100% positive that during the SDK event in March when they were going over apps that would not be allowed in the App Store, alternative web browsers to Safari were prohibited. You're NEVER going to see another browser in the iPhone.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Adobe have said they'd make Flash for iPhone, but the SDK licence prevents them from doing so.

I don't see Apple allowing any plugins for mobile Safari, at all.

Phazer

millerman

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
firefox for Iphone??

Hi all,
I do prefer safari in most cases myself! however, I happened to be using an internet database for work that is only useable on Firefox!!!

This is really silly I know but it's actually better now because it used to only be available on IE !!!

so if there is anyone out there that can tell me for sure that this can or "cannot" be done then I would be delighted to know that I don't have to keep thinking about how this could make my day at work easier :)

Chris

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Mozilla has stated publicly that they have no plans to develop Firefox for the iPhone. Too bad, but the closed platform kills it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.