Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claychicken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Hey all,

Yesterday afternoon I was using the bathroom (to put it politely) and watching an episode of 'The Office' on my beautiful ipod touch. I know - stupid, foolish me, but I have become so attached to it, that I get bored even taking a s*** without the constant entertainment only 'The Office' can provide.

So when I stood up after I was done, I unplugged the headphones, and in my rush to get ready for work (I was late), the ipod slipped out of my hand and fell in the bowl. Unfortunately, my gut reaction was to save it, so I plunged my hand into the fairly dirty water (as I'm sure you can imagine), and pulled out my precious ipod. I quickly ran over to the handtowl and wiped all the water off.

I had no choice but to go to work, and so I couldn't check if it still worked. When I got home later that night, I rushed back over to where I had left it to dry, and when I plugged in the headphones, no sound came out!! :eek: I was panicking now! I can't live without my :apple: touch! So I made a plan to go down to the local apple reseller the next day to *hopefully* get replacement one under warranty.

It was then I found out about the water mark thing at the bottom of the headphone jack to show when there has been water damage. I am prepared to admit that I did the trick where I cut a small piece of white paper out and stuck it down the jack to disguise the water damage mark.

When I woke up this morning, I was about to go down to the apple store when I thought I would try it one more time. Lo and Behold, the sound is now working perfectly. Lucky for me, that was the only defect from the water.

Although this is good, I had kindof planned to get a new replacement from Apple for the damaged ipod, then sell it on ebay as new for close to retail price, then when the 3G iphone comes out in Australia in a month, I would buy that with the money. Oh well.

The point of this post is the show that the ipod touch is almost impenetrable! This thing is an absolute beast. The screen won't scratch when I put it in my pocket with my keys, and it still works after dropping it in the toilet!! :D

Now I just have to stop using my MBP on the toilet...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
after reading your attempt to scam apple (and subsequently members on this forum including myself who own apple stock) i kinda wished your ipod was indeed broke as you would have deserved it...........

with that said, be thankful yours continued to function

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
You are very lucky. Be more careful so you don't possibly scam Apple in the future by getting replacements you don't deserve.

cjduckk

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
If nothing else, this post served to make me feel less odd about listening to my iPod in the loo. =P

regards,
-c.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
You're planning on selling on iPod that you dropped in a toilet full of piss and crap? WTF is wrong with you.

claychicken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
yeah I know guys, I shouldn't scam apple - I love apple and own significant amounts of AAPL stock (which I bought and trade internationally at significant cost), but I was just so desperate. I also knew that for apple the fixing process would be minimal due to only the headphone connection being broken.

As stated before, I was going to sell the replacement, but now, after serious amounts of disinfectant, I will continue to use my current ipod touch, and probably buy a new 3G iphone when it comes out anyway.

Also can anyone honestly say they have never brought their ipods into the toilet? :eek:

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
And this is why I rarely buy used on ebay :(

Edit: Nvm lol I thought you were going to sell the one you dropped in the toilet :eek: I've dropped my cell phone in the toilet and a current mp3 player...but I errr..wont go into detail =p

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Thats not the most amazing story I heard before going to eat dinner.....:(

Morale learned, dont use iPod when going to the bathroom.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hey all,

Yesterday afternoon I was using the bathroom (to put it politely) and watching an episode of 'The Office' on my beautiful ipod touch. I know - stupid, foolish me, but I have become so attached to it, that I get bored even taking a s*** without the constant entertainment only 'The Office' can provide.
This is where I stopped reading. You sir are a rather foul creature.
after reading your attempt to scam apple (and subsequently members on this forum including myself who own apple stock) i kinda wished your ipod was indeed broke as you would have deserved it...........

with that said, be thankful yours continued to function

Then I read this and decided I was ok with calling him "foul".
Defrauding Apple and the shareholders, talking about it, and actually appearing to be proud of yourself is just plain...well foul!

Michaud68

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
you know what the worst part of his story was. He never mentioned after sticking his hand in a bowl of poo that he washed his hands hope he doesn't work in the food industry. :eek:

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
i have to admit...I use my touch in the bathroom, at work, on the bus, at the gym, at church, in meetings, in bed, in the car, while fishing, on trips...heck, pretty much everywhere.

This thing has become so addictive that you might as well sew it to my hand.

Although I've never dropped it in the toilet, yet.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Wow, this thread makes me glad for a little rule I made for myself... no Touch in the bathroom :cool:

claychicken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
don't feed the trolls...sorry but i dont buy this story.

haha yeah I guess I wouldn't believe this story either - but it honestly did happen. The main purpose of posting the story was to demonstrate how durable the ipod touch is, not to invoke a storm of toilet humour! Oh well, just rest assured that the story is purely factual, and the ipod touch is now fine.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, this thread makes me glad for a little rule I made for myself... no Touch in the bathroom :cool:
Are you kidding? I always take my Touch into the bathroom with me - kill two birds (or three, as the case may be) with one stone - catch up on the latest news while taking care of business. Win-win. ;)

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
How long do you guys spend on the bowl? I"m in and out as fast as possible. But I have to admit, it is addictive, heck I'm on it right now posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.