Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBackUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
If I jailbreak my new 3G iphone can I still use iTunes and the apps store?

Thanks

MrBackUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
So if I jailbreak it, iTunes will act like I didn't jailbreak it? And do you know the best way to jailbreak a 3G iphone?

Thanks

stevepeck

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
HULL-Yorkshire-UK
Just jailbreak it...what have you to lose?...at the end of the day if your gonna build a brick wall in your garden you'll allways have a spare brick.
Cant understand why you guys doit...greed...to be clever...BRAVE?

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
If I jailbreak it is there a way to undo the jailbreak?

Put the phone back into DFU mode and restore using the stock firmware via iTunes -- you'll have a vanilla iPhone and your data. (The process is more complicated if you have unlocked it for use with another carrier.)

Just jailbreak it...what have you to lose?...at the end of the day if your gonna build a brick wall in your garden you'll allways have a spare brick.
Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail doesn't brick phones (unless you use ZiPhone) -- unlocking for use with an unauthorized carrier, by changing the modem firmware, can.

Cant understand why you guys doit...greed...to be clever...BRAVE?

I don't see how "greed" comes into play. Personally, I like having full access to the *nix subsystem of my MacOS devices.

MrBackUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
If I use Pwnage tool 2.0 is there a chance that it may brick my iPhone 3G?

Thanks

MrBackUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
mustang_dvs you said "Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail doesn't brick phones" does that mean that if I jailbreak it with Pwnage tool 2.0, it will not brick?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
A jailbreak on its own (without unlocking the iPhone - which is not yet possible on the 3G) will NOT brick your phone.

It is impossible as all it is doing is moving a few files and adding a few things and not touching the data communications part at all.

A normal restore to Apple firmware will put it back to factory settings.

Jailbreaks are fully reversible - no risk at all! So go for it!

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
mustang_dvs you said "Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail doesn't brick phones" does that mean that if I jailbreak it with Pwnage tool 2.0, it will not brick?

If you're just using the simple mode and are using a "legit" phone, it will not brick, so long as you do not interrupt the software update (and if you do, it's still recoverable).

If you mess with the bootloader (iPhone firmware) or baseband (modem firmware) -- both only necessary if you're unlocking for use with a non-official carrier -- you run the risk of bricking the phone.

MrBackUp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I know someone with a powerpc mac. If I use his mac to jailbreak it, will it work with my windows pc after?

Thanks

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Once you JB your phone do you not continue to use itunes software updates? And if you did (assuming its not advised) what would happen?
thanks

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I know someone with a powerpc mac. If I use his mac to jailbreak it, will it work with my windows pc after?

Thanks

obviously you're not an iPhone developer. and you can't unlock a 3g yet, so do yourself a favor, and us, and forget about jailbreaking until there are more apps available via jailbreak. right now it's just developer apps. no themes, no games, no fun stuff. it's all stuff that's way over your (and mine and most people's) head.

jschact6

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
So if I jailbreak it, iTunes will act like I didn't jailbreak it? And do you know the best way to jailbreak a 3G iphone?

Thanks

Well if you want to jailbreak it the easiest way then use JailBreakMe. All you do is go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone or iPod Touch and it will download the files for you and it takes but less than a minute. Then presto! A jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch.

Note:
I know it works for iOS4 but if you have something else it might still work.
:apple:

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Put the phone back into DFU mode and restore using the stock firmware via iTunes -- you'll have a vanilla iPhone and your data. (The process is more complicated if you have unlocked it for use with another carrier.)

Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail doesn't brick phones (unless you use ZiPhone) -- unlocking for use with an unauthorized carrier, by changing the modem firmware, can.

I don't see how "greed" comes into play. Personally, I like having full access to the *nix subsystem of my MacOS devices.

what does DFU mode mean? how do you do that?

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Well if you want to jailbreak it the easiest way then use JailBreakMe. All you do is go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone or iPod Touch and it will download the files for you and it takes but less than a minute. Then presto! A jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch.

Note:
I know it works for iOS4 but if you have something else it might still work.
:apple:

I know it's your first post but still. Do you not realize this thread finished 2 years ago?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.