Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Changing settings once or twice a day (or more!) seems a bit fiddly. It would be nice if the thing would automatically switch down to EDGE when it isn't running apps that need data or the app isn't fetching data, like when reading a page. Just sitting in standby on 3G appears to consume considerable more power.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Changing settings once or twice a day (or more!) seems a bit fiddly. It would be nice if the thing would automatically switch down to EDGE when it isn't running apps that need data or the app isn't fetching data, like when reading a page. Just sitting in standby on 3G appears to consume considerable more power.

If I expect to make a lot of calls, or I'm going to be on the phone for a long time (calling ATT for example), I will make sure I'm on EDGE. I don't want to cut my battery life in half, if I expect to make a 45 minute call. Most calls, however, I leave 3G on for convenience.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I've found that turning off Location Services (GPS) makes a significant difference.
So is the the location service always on even when your not using maps? If this is true than I will turn it off except for when I need it.

Second Question, I've heard some say that leaving auto brightness on kills the battery faster but from what the OP says its better to leave on? anyone explain this?

ok one more question than I'll stop :) Since getting the 3g I never have fully let the battery drain on it and haven't given it a 8hr charge ether but everything seems to be norm with the battery. Do u recommend letting it fully die at this point and doing a full nights charge?-Its not bad to charge it over night every night is it?

Thanks in advance!

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
So is the the location service always on even when your not using maps? If this is true than I will turn it off except for when I need it.

I believe so.

You don't need location services for Google Maps, unless you want it to locate yourself (go figure). If you're just looking up restaurants or traffic in your area, you should be able to keep the location service off.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I have a car charger that is apparently made for iPhones, iPods and other phones, PDAs, etc. When I checked its specs, I noticed it reads as 5V output with <3000 mA. My concern is this is outputting 3A but the wall charger for the iPhone only outputs 1A. Will this car charger fry my new 3G iPhone if I use it?

I wouldn't trust it. Not an expert, though. I'd only use chargers with the same rating as an official charger.

And for about the 100th time, letting your battery run down until the device shuts off will do no harm. The battery and iPhone are set to suspend long before it reaches a deep discharge that would do permanent damage.

Regardless, charging your phone with 40% charge left is the best method for charging.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Draining the battery down till shut off point may not damage the battery but it will increase cycle counts in comparison to topping off the battery. The less cycle counts the longer the battery will last.

Just as example my MBP 23 months old with 204 cycles is still at 94% health...

Attachments

• macbattery.jpg
    macbattery.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 186

TylerD.

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Long Beach, CA.
I have noticed that the battery out of the box was way out of caliberation. At first I was going to take it back but then I decided to reset the IPhone and let the battery completely drain then charge again. I have not had any other problems besides the software hang ups.....but thats a whole other issue.:D

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
Is there a place on the iPhone to see the % charge remaining (the number, not just the picture of the battery in the upper right)?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Is there a place on the iPhone to see the % charge remaining (the number, not just the picture of the battery in the upper right)?

As far as I am aware, no. I could be wrong. Hopefully a 3rd party app will fix this.

how do you see the 40% remaining?

I just eyeball it. Charging it @ 50% or 60% isn't bad by any means, either. It's better to charge with more charge, than less charge.

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Draining the battery down till shut off point may not damage the battery but it will increase cycle counts in comparison to topping off the battery. The less cycle counts the longer the battery will last.

Just as example my MBP 23 months old with 204 cycles is still at 94% health...

I win:
2690998460_6b6d358e0e_o.jpg
2690999470_a9fe1e0860_o.jpg

Although for the life of me, I dont understand why the capacity is now larger?

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
I noticed that it says "if necessary, a maximum of three times". How will I know if it is necessary?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I noticed that it says "if necessary, a maximum of three times". How will I know if it is necessary?

Most likely, if your battery gauge is inaccurate. If your last 50% of battery life, until the unit shuts down, is a lot longer than the first 50% (given similar usage), the internal battery gauge logic might become more accurately calibrated after the next full charge.

The problem is that the only way to tell if your battery gauge is inaccurate is to do a (near) full discharge/charge cycle.

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Secondly, if you're computer goes to sleep, your iPhone won't charge.

Can anyone back this up?

From my first-hand observations, Leopard will charge your iPhone whilst sleeping (this could explain why the Mac has to wake up and re-sleep when a USB is plugged in or out.)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Can anyone back this up?

From my first-hand observations, Leopard will charge your iPhone whilst sleeping (this could explain why the Mac has to wake up and re-sleep when a USB is plugged in or out.)

Directly from the Apple site:

"Make sure iPhone is charged. Connect to a USB port and look for the lightning bolt battery icon in the upper right. If you don't see this icon, then iPhone is not charging. The battery will charge to 80% in an hour.

Note: If you put your computer into sleep mode while iPhone is connected via USB, iPhone may not charge."

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/troubleshooting/itunes/# (click the recharge tab to see more info)

turbo63

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Is it bad to only partially charge your battery?

Say I get low and only have time to charge it for an hour, and it goes to 80%. Should that be avoided?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Is it bad to only partially charge your battery?

Say I get low and only have time to charge it for an hour, and it goes to 80%. Should that be avoided?

Partially charging will not harm your battery. Lithium Ion Polymer batteries live longer the more often you charge them. Charging your phone keeps the battery's electrons "alive".

The amount of charge cycles is what's key. Lets say you charge your battery 50% today and 30% tomorrow, that's 80% of a charge cycle. You've completed 4 / 5ths of a full charge cycle. Apple states that after 400 full charge cycles (1 - 1.5 years), your battery should hold 80% of its original charge. Charging your battery for a little while is not only healthy for your battery, but keeps it juiced throughout the day :).

IMO, the most important factor people don't do, is charge their battery in a cool location. Heat has a TREMENDOUS impact on your battery's life. Don't leave your iPhone in your car or store your iPhone in a place with direct sunlight. I know it's extreme, but every night I charge my battery in front of my fan...which would be on anyway. So, if you can find a cool location to charge (in front of AC / fan), that's really good for your battery. If not, it's not the end of the world.

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Just got my iPhone at noon!!!! One question, it's been charging for an hour and a half and it says its completely charged now. Should I really wait and let it charge for 8 hours? Is that really necessary for good battery life or just long enough until the battery is fully charged?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Just got my iPhone at noon!!!! One question, it's been charging for an hour and a half and it says its completely charged now. Should I really wait and let it charge for 8 hours? Is that really necessary for good battery life or just long enough until the battery is fully charged?

When I asked at the Apple store, they said to charge for an hour and a half when I got home. I have a feeling you will be good, I was just extra cautious on my first go around. It's even debatable if you need to charge initially, other than to calibrate your battery.

mack13

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Hello-
I got my iPhone on launch day and was told to not charge it until it ran down and then do an overnight charge instead of charging it right out of the box. I did that and was wondering if that's bad and if so, how bad? I hopefully didn't retard the battery at all. I've charged it three times now, always letting it die before doing a complete (4-6 hours in the power adapter) charge.
Thanks!

Edit: Really wish I'd checked the place out before charging mine after I bought it.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Hello-
I got my iPhone on launch day and was told to not charge it until it ran down and then do an overnight charge instead of charging it right out of the box. I did that and was wondering if that's bad and if so, how bad? I hopefully didn't retard the battery at all. I've charged it three times now, always letting it die before doing a complete (4-6 hours in the power adapter) charge.
Thanks!

Edit: Really wish I'd checked the place out before charging mine after I bought it.

Well, I've heard a lot of different theories about this. Some places say to charge it initially, some say it doesn't matter. I've never heard of letting it drain all the way, though. I doubt you did little, if any damage to your battery. Lithium Ion / Polymer are designed to not "need" an initial charge. I recommend it only because it can't hurt, only help. The other tips listed in the guide are more important. If you follow those steps closely, you should be fine. :)

mack13

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
I appreciate the help and will definitely go with what's been posted. At the very least, I'll pop it in when I get the 20% battery message.

rising j

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
bboucher790, Thank you for the informative, and well documented, iphone battery guide you have written up. Plenty of help. I managed to obtained the oh so elusive black 16gb this afternoon, and have only come across your post now. After my excitement has somewhat died down, did I began to become concerned with presreving battery life and am going through the charge and recharge cycles you have detailed. Once again, much appreciated and I will be passing this info along to my friends, whom aren't even on this forum, yet!! :D

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
bboucher790, Thank you for the informative, and well documented, iphone battery guide you have written up. Plenty of help. I managed to obtained the oh so elusive black 16gb this afternoon, and have only come across your post now. After my excitement has somewhat died down, did I began to become concerned with presreving battery life and am going through the charge and recharge cycles you have detailed. Once again, much appreciated and I will be passing this info along to my friends, whom aren't even on this forum, yet!! :D

No problem. I've learned a lot about batteries from this post as well heh. I think it's important to understand your battery, as we all know how annoying it is to have a handicapped battery in a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.