Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Anyway to see if there is a crack on the black version?

Not likely unless it's a huge crack.

This is like the polar opposite of fingerprints. They show up all the time on Black...now white has the cracks...personally I'd much rather have the finger prints. :)

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I had cracks in my white one (actually the first one here I think to post and ask the question) and I went in to my local Apple Store Monday and they ordered me a new replacement. I got it today with no issues. I told them there were others having this issue and they told me I was the first one at the B'ham store so far with this issue. I looked the one I got today over closely and it went straight to a case so hopefully it will be ok. The Genius did ask me if I had dropped it (which I had not) and even inspected it with a microscope and found no sign of why the cracks were there. Maybe it will not be too wide spread of an issue.

cohenspire

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
around dc
I just looked at mine and see 3 tiny tiny cracks on different edges. I have babied this thing and have not dropped it or anything. Sucks. I'm already heading to Apple tomorrow for a macbook pro issue, i'll talk to the genius and see if AT&T of the Apple store will do something. Apple is gonna have a big problem if these cracks become very frequent and larger.

EDIT: it's white.

gibbyparada

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Still worth it

Still worth it. If there are cracks, guess what, its covered by AppleCare, since it would be a manufacturing defect. As for yellowing, its the invisible shield itself that is yellowing, so it may be a good idea to find another alternative, but I don't have one yet, So I'll stick to IS, and then maybe get bodyguards for the back instead.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
You mean magnifying glass? Or did they take it to the lab?

Excuse me...... MAGNIFYING GLASS.....I think everyone knew what I meant. It was the same thing they look into your freaking ears with at the doctor, with the little cone attachment too and the light. :cool:

DPBida

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Figured I would chime in here...
Got my white iPhone 3G on the first day it came out (was one of the first ten in line) and noticed that night two small fractures in the white housing. I immediately took the phone back and they swapped it out 2 days later when they got a new shipment in.
****** thing is the new iPhone's case was fitting right. Where the white casing met the chrome, it was bulging out. So I'm not on my third iPhone. So far zero problems and I'm praying to god it stays that way.
The guy said you're only allowed 4 'manufacturers defects' (where they'll swap your iPhone with a brand new one, not the serviced iPhones) before they have to start pulling out the small white boxes (the serviced ones).

I figured it was just a fluke accident but now i'm starting to freak out.
Looks like I'll be keeping a sharp eye on my new one. Keep my fingers crossed while I'm at it.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Excuse me...... MAGNIFYING GLASS.....I think everyone knew what I meant. It was the same thing they look into your freaking ears with at the doctor, with the little cone attachment too and the light. :cool:

That would be an auroscope. :)

electrobix

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Brighton, UK
Took mine to the apple store today and it was exchanged with no fuss at all, I got the impression they had quite a few white ones back with the cracking problem. hope this one will be ok!

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
Figured I would chime in here...
Got my white iPhone 3G on the first day it came out (was one of the first ten in line) and noticed that night two small fractures in the white housing. I immediately took the phone back and they swapped it out 2 days later when they got a new shipment in.
****** thing is the new iPhone's case was fitting right. Where the white casing met the chrome, it was bulging out. So I'm not on my third iPhone. So far zero problems and I'm praying to god it stays that way.
The guy said you're only allowed 4 'manufacturers defects' (where they'll swap your iPhone with a brand new one, not the serviced iPhones) before they have to start pulling out the small white boxes (the serviced ones).

I figured it was just a fluke accident but now i'm starting to freak out.
Looks like I'll be keeping a sharp eye on my new one. Keep my fingers crossed while I'm at it.

It has been to my knowledge that everyone getting a replacement phone at the Apple store is getting a brand new one. I can't see how they would be handing out serviced iPhone 3G's a week after the release.

cohenspire

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
around dc
I took my phone back today and they swapped it out for me. They hadn't seen it yet, but had no issues swapping it. I asked if it was a refurb and then realized how could they have any refurbs yet. The apple guy said that most stores have 10-20 extra units in the back that are new, but minus the packaging and extra stuff.

DPBida

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I took my phone back today and they swapped it out for me. They hadn't seen it yet, but had no issues swapping it. I asked if it was a refurb and then realized how could they have any refurbs yet. The apple guy said that most stores have 10-20 extra units in the back that are new, but minus the packaging and extra stuff.

case and point...
they have iPhones in the little white boxes for serviced iPhones. Now, normally these are refurbs and given to people who have problems with their iPhones. Now, because the release date was so recently, these are probably no different than a brand new iPhone. Over time they'll be refurbs.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
White crack, never dropped!

Just above the silent switch. After about a week the dirt has made it more apparent. Have not taken it back yet.

I wonder if it is just a stress crack from being carried in my jeans pocket??

Attachments

• JZ4I6473.jpg
    JZ4I6473.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 5,152

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
dang, I didn't know I had any until this thread. White 16gb
I have 2 by my headphone jack, one of them is at the skinniest part where the headphone port is near the chrome, you can see one side is raised up a bit higher than the other side of the crack.
Not the hugest issue but after only 2 weeks I can see this developing for the worse. I'm guessing since the port is so damn tight to fit in a headphone plug that the force of pulling out the headphones is lifting the plastic a bit causing stress and hence cracks. I'll talk to the store I bought it from tonight or tomorrow.

owners of the black ones check closely around the headphone port, cracks could be hidden due to the dark casing. but maybe it's just a problem with the plastic used in the white version.

thevol

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
ive got an 8gb black and inspected it for cracks after i saw this thread. sure enough there are a couple of really small cracks like the pics shown on top of the phone. also noticed some clear cloat coming off the sim tray area. no biggie for me, they dont really show up unless you look really close. i dont have any other defects so i can live with these compared to some of the others posted. no phone is perfect and will show some wear over time anyway.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Here's the cracks in mine.
One is near the point where the plastic is the thinnest, only like a millimeter.
They should have encircled the headphone in metal, like a bump off of the chrome siding going around the headphone jack. I'm probably gonna go take it in tomorrow.

And I know that wear and tear is normal, but not this quick. This is just 2 weeks, will these things be covered in cracks after a few months?

Attachments

• saynotocrack.jpg
    saynotocrack.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 14,470

xamkil83

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Friendswood, Texas
I have looked over my 16gb black iPhone and there are no cracks that I can see, thank goodness. However I am going to have to look at my wife's 16gb white iPhone. She has never dropped it and treates it with kid gloves. If it is cracked I will be taking it back to the Apple store tomorrow.

cantankerously

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I guess I'm the lucky one with a white iPhone with no cracks.

To those with cracks, are you carry the iPhone nude or in some kind of case?

GRN99EX

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
South Jersey
I guess I'm the lucky one with a white iPhone with no cracks.

To those with cracks, are you carry the iPhone nude or in some kind of case?

I got mine last Friday, and have no cracks either. I bought the Agent 18 Eco-Case for it, and put it in there before leaving the store. The only time it has been out of the case since then, was to apply the anti-glare crystal film to the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.