Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Bummer...the last update for it made it even better (added trailers among other things) but a few hours ago iTunes store said it was no longer available and now it doesn't show up at all...it's like it never existed! I smell government cover-up!

Anyway, I foolishly deleted it from my iPhone yesterday when I was having synching problems (gone btw w/ latest iTunes update). I wonder if I kept it would it still be on my iPhone or if iTunes would take it out.

So two questions...

1. Is it still on everyone else's phone who downloaded it previously

and

2. any thought on to why it was removed?

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
Bummer...the last update for it made it even better (added trailers among other things) but a few hours ago iTunes store said it was no longer available and now it doesn't show up at all...it's like it never existed! I smell government cover-up!

Anyway, I foolishly deleted it from my iPhone yesterday when I was having synching problems (gone btw w/ latest iTunes update). I wonder if I kept it would it still be on my iPhone or if iTunes would take it out.

So two questions...

1. Is it still on everyone else's phone who downloaded it previously

and

2. any thought on to why it was removed?

Ive had it on my iphone since it came out. Funny that u pointed out that its not on the app store anymore because the app on my iphone doesnt open anymore. Thats just weird.

SimplyBlue

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Hamilton, NJ
Even the 'Graal Zone' game is no longer there. Maybe Apple is re-reviewing apps with the whole privacy thing that happened with 'Aurora Feint'.

taibien86

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Even the 'Graal Zone' game is no longer there. Maybe Apple is re-reviewing apps with the whole privacy thing that happened with 'Aurora Feint'.

my box office works fine and so does aurora feint... what is the privacy thing that happened?

hkftw

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
my box office works fine and so does aurora feint... what is the privacy thing that happened?

Aurora Feint would send your contact list to its servers unencrypted if you used the friends feature. At least that's what I understand happened.

Zephgx

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
California
I still have it.

Although I don't recall it looking through your contacts or something like that, just your zipcode or position to find the movie theaters.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
It's still on my phone and seems to be working OK. All the new show times for the Mummy (opening today) are on there. Maybe will have to check that one out later this afternoon. :D

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Does anyone who has synced since yesterday still have a working copy?

I read this thread and now I'm afraid to sync, because I don't want to lose the working copy I have, which is silly, I guess. :eek: But I really like the features of this app, especially the combo of rotten tomatoes + Metafilter, and the available previews.

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Does anyone who has synced since yesterday still have a working copy?

I read this thread and now I'm afraid to sync, because I don't want to lose the working copy I have, which is silly, I guess. :eek: But I really like the features of this app, especially the combo of rotten tomatoes + Metafilter, and the available previews.

I'd like to know this too - I really like this application and would hate to lose it...

I posted on another thread that I wonder if the sites some of these applications are culling their data from are starting to complain of copyright violation? BoxOffice, for example, culled info from Fandango, Rotten Tomatoes, What's Showing, and a few others - all it could conceivably take is one of them complaining loud enough to Apple.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
wtf

Mine is gone too WTF :(

I only use it on the weekend, and I hate Movie App. It doesn't list ALL the movies for me

dancavallaro

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I wish Apple would set up a blog or something and make a little announcement every time they remove something from the app store. Doing it in secret and deleting it from our phone when we sync without telling us is kind of bull[poop].

taibien86

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Is it working? (not to beat a dead horse, just making sure)

i synced it last night and its still working, but ive been getting timed out of the prog and it automatically closes sometimes. i just think this is and app issue that arises sometime bc i also get timed out sometimes when i open super monkey ball

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
I synced and I still have it, and it's working. I just read reviews and saw the trailer of "Brideshead Revisited," which I hadn't done before just now. :)

I hope it comes back for those of you who lost it.

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Note from Cyrus

I'm the developer of BoxOffice.

Apple pulled the app yesterday without giving my any notification that they were doing it, or what their justification was for removing it.

I've tried to contact them about the issue, but it's been a complete dead end. If anyone has a useful contact number for apple, please let me know.

I'm in regular contact with all my data providers, and none of them have had an issue with my app. Indeed, the response was the exact opposite. They like my app and have even asked if i would do custom application work for them in the future. Furthermore, all the data i use is licensed by the owners as 'free for non commercial use'. i.e. precisely what BoxOffice is.

So i'm stuck here not knowing what has happened, or what i can do about it. If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. You can respond here, but i'd actually appreciate a reply at cyrusn@stwing.upenn.edu since i probably won't check back here that often.

Thanks!

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
I hope you get it resolved soon. Your app is my favorite of all the movie apps. :)

Also, you should ask those in the iPhone Programming forum if anyone there has any contact information that could be helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.