Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
i have boxoffice 1.2, everything still works, even trailers, never crashed once

i have sync apps checked in itunes, but i've downloaded everything from the phone, and nothing syncs back to my computer for whatever reason, so that could be a reason that the program hasn't been affected yet.

anyway, great app, i hope it makes it back in soon

DarkNight79

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Borrowing Data or Screen-Scraping?

I've got Box Office still on my phone and it still seems to be working fine. I was initially impressed that the developer did content licensing deals with all those companies. It looks now like he 'borrowed' their data without their consent. Apple's problem is that they're the deep pockets in a lawsuit- after all, they are profiting from the infringing content, even at only 30%. All it would take is one cease and desist letter to Apple to get them to pull the app. I wonder how many other apps fall into this category?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I've got Box Office still on my phone and it still seems to be working fine. I was initially impressed that the developer did content licensing deals with all those companies. It looks now like he 'borrowed' their data without their consent. Apple's problem is that they're the deep pockets in a lawsuit- after all, they are profiting from the infringing content, even at only 30%. All it would take is one cease and desist letter to Apple to get them to pull the app. I wonder how many other apps fall into this category?

Well actually, BoxOffice is free -- so Apple doesn't profit from it at all, no?
But I get what you mean...

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
DarkKnight, could you please email me @ cyrusn@stwing.upenn.edu. I want to know what info you have and how you came to this conclusion. Thanks!

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
DarkKnight, could you please email me @ cyrusn@stwing.upenn.edu. I want to know what info you have and how you came to this conclusion. Thanks!

Well, it's obvious you did something they don't like. Movies.app and Showtimes have stayed there the entire time, while your app was pulled. I feel bad for you, but I think there is something that you aren't saying. If not, which I hope not, I would love to be corrected and see your app pop right back up in the app store.

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Well, it's obvious you did something they don't like. Movies.app and Showtimes have stayed there the entire time, while your app was pulled. I feel bad for you, but I think there is something that you aren't saying. If not, which I hope not, I would love to be corrected and see your app pop right back up in the app store.

Please, if you have an information, email me asap. I would love to hear *anything* from you guys if you actually know something.

Thanks!!

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Please, if you have an information, email me asap. I would love to hear *anything* from you guys if you actually know something.

Thanks!!

Dude, I'm sure neither one of them knows anything. They're talking out their asses, making assumptions and basically trolling. If you don't have the evidence, I highly doubt they do.

Scott Keeler

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Have you recently sent an update to the app? It may actually just be a mess up with in the update process. The game Aurora Feint was mistakingly removed from the store when the update was supposed to be released.

Have you tried getting in touch with Danielle Cassley or Jason Citron? They were eventually able to get in touch with Apple when their app was pulled and may be able to give you some advice.

http://aurorafeint.proboards100.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile&user=admin

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Dude, I'm sure neither one of them knows anything. They're talking out their asses, making assumptions and basically trolling. If you don't have the evidence, I highly doubt they do.

Well... you never know. :)

As i mentioned before on my web page, if people don't know anything, i'd prefer if assumptions weren't jumped to. But if you do have any info, i would really like to hear it. You all have my email address at this point.

Thanks!

John Morris

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
Florida (USA)
Since it disappeared in the App Store, when I try to open BoxOffice on my iPhone 3G, it takes me directly back to the home screen.

I don't believe that it disappearing from the App Store should have any connection with it not working on the phone. NetShare disappeared from the App Store, but it still works on my phone.

Odd.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Since it disappeared in the App Store, when I try to open BoxOffice on my iPhone 3G, it takes me directly back to the home screen.

I don't believe that it disappearing from the App Store should have any connection with it not working on the phone. NetShare disappeared from the App Store, but it still works on my phone.

Odd.

BoxOffice (v1.2) still works for me. I haven't sync'd since they removed it from App Store though.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I have BoxOffice v1.2 on both iPhone and iTunes. Have sync'd numerous times and updated to most recent version on both. Still have the App, still works just fine. love it and can't wait for updates and it to come back online. I have it backed up just in case though:D)

Good Luck

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I synced and backed up my iPhone last night and it's still there. I loads fine, updated the movie list, tested a trailer.

Though, I haven't updated to 2.0.1 yet.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008

I'm not trolling, but I am making an assumption. They aren't the same thing. Just like I said in the post itself, "I think there is something" he isn't telling us or something they didn't like. I think is the assumption part. I am not trolling because I didn't call him names, flame him, or insult him in any way, shape or form. Actually, I kind of gave him a compliment by telling him I hope his app is back up at the app store, as I have it and would like to see continued updates/support. Thanks, but you aren't going to be able to pin me against the wall, try it with someone stupid.

I synced and backed up my iPhone last night and it's still there. I loads fine, updated the movie list, tested a trailer.

I did update to 2.0.1 and I can confirm, Box Office 1.2 DOES still work and I have tested it myself.

joeru

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
I have the 2.01 phone update and BoxOffice 1.2. The app displays the splash screen and then crashes (exits to the main iPhone screen) for me. Bummer.

- Joe

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal

After multiple syncs, it works perfectly for me too, and I have upgraded to 2.0.1. I'm still thrilled with it, and I hope it's back in the store soon, whatever the name. :)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Regardless of if someone kind of content issue caused the removal, I want all developers out there to be aware of this.

You can't just go sucking down someone else's content and repackage it in another program, for the most part. Most sites will have conditions and requirements for you to use their data, and if you don't follow those rules you can find yourself in trouble.

I am not making an assertions towards Box Office, I am just saying in a general sense, I see a lot of the iPhone programs repackaging other people's web sites, and I know all of them do not have permission, which you absolutely must have.

I think this will become a bigger deal when the actual content providers want to release their own applications and have other people already using that data.

Take for example Rotten Tomatos rankings. I don't know what their re-use conditions are, but say they require or don't allow general permission for their use. They decide to go and create their own iPhone application to help broaden their brand. They would likely not be happy with any movie-related app using their data and rankings as it would reduce the value and worth of their product, not to mention potentially be copyright infringement.

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
It just opens then crashes everytime. I had tried updating to 1.2 but my phone crashed I never got it updated. Damn. That was one of my favorite apps! :mad:

Great job to the developer - I hope you are able to get it back online!

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
It just opens then crashes everytime. I had tried updating to 1.2 but my phone crashed I never got it updated. Damn. That was one of my favorite apps! :mad:

Great job to the developer - I hope you are able to get it back online!
Hopefully 1.2 will be back soon and you'll be able to get it!

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Regardless of if someone kind of content issue caused the removal, I want all developers out there to be aware of this.

You can't just go sucking down someone else's content and repackage it in another program, for the most part. Most sites will have conditions and requirements for you to use their data, and if you don't follow those rules you can find yourself in trouble.
Fortunately, i looked into those conditions and requirements before writing boxoffice. RT, for example, has syndication feeds that it explicitly allows you to use (including the tomatometer).

taibien86

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
your app is amazing. one thing you should add is a "my theaters" option and i noticed IMAX movies weren't coming up (specifically the Dark Knight).

i believe this is due to apple removing the program but it sometimes times out or just won't yield any search results. i hope they put it back up!

jmulls

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2004
New Jersey
No crashes here.

had since the 2.0 update without a single problem

Mine works flawlessly too. i had the crashing problem for awhile but it auto-corrected itself. In fact, the crashing was not related to boxoffice. All of my apps were crashing at that time. It somehow coincided with the update to 2.0.1

BTW: non 3G iphone

Jason

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
your app is amazing. one thing you should add is a "my theaters" option and i noticed IMAX movies weren't coming up (specifically the Dark Knight).

i believe this is due to apple removing the program but it sometimes times out or just won't yield any search results. i hope they put it back up!

you can set favorites, and they will show up in the top of your sort by theatre

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.