Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I have Macbook Pro running MAC OS X. I can boot the computer and use it but every time I try to download a new program or add a user or anything it asks me for the password, I don't have this password. Is there any way to by pass this without losing all my programs and information? I am desperate!!!! Someone PLLZZZZZZ HELP!

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I have Macbook Pro running MAC OS X. I can boot the computer and use it but every time I try to download a new program or add a user or anything it asks me for the password, I don't have this password. Is there any way to by pass this without losing all my programs and information? I am desperate!!!! Someone PLLZZZZZZ HELP!

I'm pretty sure you need the installation cd that installed the operating system.

chris3g

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
it can be done without the disc. hold down command-s while booting to boot to single use mode, mount the drive by typing mount -uw / (hit return) and then follow this

Type this:
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
Press Return
Type this, then press Return: ls /Users
Look at the listing and note the short name (username) of the affected user account.
Type this:

dscl . -delete /Users/username AuthenticationAuthority

Note: Replace "username" with the affected user account's short name you noted above.
Press Return
Type this, followed by Return: passwd username

Note: Replace "username" with the affected user account's short name you noted above.
At the "New password:" prompt, type the user's password, then Return. Note: It is recommended that the original user's password be used to match the keychain password.
At the "Retype new password" prompt, type the same password, followed by Return.
Type this, followed by Return: reboot

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
it can be done without the disc. hold down command-s while booting to boot to single use mode, mount the drive by typing mount -uw / (hit return) and then follow this

Type this:
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
Press Return
Type this, then press Return: ls /Users
Look at the listing and note the short name (username) of the affected user account.
Type this:

dscl . -delete /Users/username AuthenticationAuthority

Press Return
Type this, followed by Return: passwd username

At the "New password:" prompt, type the user's password, then Return. Note: It is recommended that the original user's password be used to match the keychain password.
At the "Retype new password" prompt, type the same password, followed by Return.
Type this, followed by Return: reboot

If I mess this process up what can happen? What can I do if I mess it up? Will the startup disc correct it? I appreciate your help!!!!:eek:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If I mess this process up what can happen? What can I do if I mess it up? Will the startup disc correct it? I appreciate your help!!!!:eek:

If you have the disk, you would be better off using it
Using the terminal can be tricky

Is there a reason you don't have the admin password?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
It says nothing to load and I typed it exactly as you said... is something missing?

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
If you have the disk, you would be better off using it
Using the terminal can be tricky

Is there a reason you don't have the admin password?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

bought it off craigslist :(

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It says nothing to load and I typed it exactly as you said... is something missing?

I am assuming since you haven't answered the question that's been asked twice about the install disc that you haven't got the install disc?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
ya no i don't, sry

Well if all is lost you can buy a copy a Leopard. You will be able to get to the install screen to change the password. You are going to need a copy anyway at some point for OS reinstalls and for like right now when you don't have the password. Since you bought it off craigslist I would recommend that you buy a copy of Leopard anyway so you can erase the drive and start fresh.

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Well if all is lost you can buy a copy a Leopard. You will be able to get to the install screen to change the password. You are going to need a copy anyway at some point for OS reinstalls and for like right now when you don't have the password. Since you bought it off craigslist I would recommend that you buy a copy of Leopard anyway so you can erase the drive and start fresh.

Do you know the cost of Leopard?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Do you know the cost of Leopard?

The price is $129.00 U.S. You can buy it on Apple's website, their retail store or several other Apple resellers that may sell it $10-20 cheaper. You can get it on Ebay for maybe even less but be careful about Ebay, it might be either a used or burned disc. Make sure it's a genuine unopened box.

Also don't buy Leopard Restore discs from Ebay, they generally work only with a specific model Mac. Example, MacBook Pro 2007 and 2008 don't use the same restore disc.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Another way
restart your computer, hold down Command-S.
( Basically, you hold down the command-s key when powering on. The command key has a little apple symbol on the lower left. It is between the alt/option key and the space bar. On a PC keyboard, it will be the windows key, I think. )
When you get the prompt, type in the following:

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]
Really just mount and remove a single file.

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I tried it, I think its working. Its on a blue screen thinking right now, occasionally the courser shows and a spinning colored circle. about 8min have passed. I will give an update when it is done. :confused:

It seems to be looping, is this normal? How long should I expect to wait for this process.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The one I gave should show up the "Welcome to Macintosh" intro which allows you to set the passwords again just like a first boot.

Shouldn't loop, unless something else is wrong.

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
any way to get it to stop looping. did the control C thing again and the last few lines say

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications ti files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish ti boot the system, but stay in single user mode:
sh /etc/rc
localhost:/ root#

:(

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
any way to get it to stop looping. did the control C thing again and the last few lines say

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications ti files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish ti boot the system, but stay in single user mode:
sh /etc/rc
localhost:/ root#

:(

I noticed your post began 2 days ago. Is it really worth saving a few bucks and trying to enter Terminal commands and getting confused when you could easily jump in the car and run over to Best Buy, Fry's or any Apple retailer and just buy a copy of Leopard and be done with it?

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I noticed your post began 2 days ago. Is it really worth saving a few bucks and trying to enter Terminal commands and getting confused when you could easily jump in the car and run over to Best Buy, Fry's or any Apple retailer and just buy a copy of Leopard and be done with it?

I am broke till the 5th and I figure might as well try. I have learned a lot by trying. ABL (Always Be Learning) I am new to mac so I gotta be a sponge and soak up the info.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Do you actually OWN this MBP?

Innocent until proven guilty, boy scout.

What works for me is:

Command+S

wait for prompt
type "passwd root"
then enter a password

Then it'll ask you to retype it, say the password has been changed, and you're done!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Call Apple, buy a set of Restore DVDs -- should be somewhere around 19.95 to 24.95 -- unless they get picky about the warranty or a shifty caller. :)

B.King

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
At this point I am just gonna go pick up leopard... On the 5th. Thanks for all your help every1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.