Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Closed Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:14 PM   #1
gonnabuyamac
macrumors 6502

Good project management software

I'm a graphic designer with a wide variety of projects in web and print. What are some good project management programs that would work for what I do?

I'm finding it hard to keep tabs on all of my projects.
gonnabuyamac is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
InLikeALion
macrumors 6502a

I use FreshBooks.com. Also, a lot of the big guys use Basecamp from 37 Signals, but that might be more team project oriented.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:20 PM   #3
shecky

i have found that simple = better. a lot of project management software sounds great in terms of features., but a lot of it is bells and whistles and really all you need is a task list and a spreadsheet.

i use Excel and TextEdit.app to keep track of everything in our studio. one day i might go up to a databse like FileMaker but for now it is unnecessary. Finances are all in Quickbooks Pro, but we use Excel spreadsheets for tracking who owes us what, etc..
shecky is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabuyamac View Post
I'm a graphic designer with a wide variety of projects in web and print. What are some good project management programs that would work for what I do?

What you need is just a task list or a "do to" manager. Project Managers are typically oriented to projects with 50 or 100 people working on 10,000 interrelated tasks. they do things like critical path analysis, resource leveling and so on.
ChrisA is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Personally, I'm a big fan of OmniPlan, but it may be overkill for what you want
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:37 PM   #6
one3
macrumors regular

If you are looking for something simple, than "Things" is a good task manager that can break lists into projects. It's a nice interface too if that's important to you (and has an iPhone app for it too):

http://www.culturedcode.com/things/

It all just depends on the level of detail you need. If you want something a lot more robust than maybe try Studiometry:

http://www.oranged.net/studiometry/

Currently I just use a very simple task list program that I'm quite fond of. Not many features but a clean and simple interface and easy to use. It's called Anxiety:

http://anxietyapp.com/

I use freshbooks.com for invoicing now.

my apples: MacBook Pro C2D 15" + 23" Apple LCD | video 30GB | iPhone 3G 16GB black

Last edited by one3; Aug 20, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
one3 is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:49 PM   #7
vigorblade
macrumors member

Quote:

Not sure if this was already recommended, but for me the best software for this is OmniFocus. I have the desktop version and the iphone version. It may may take a little getting used to, but once you get used to it, it's great. Get a trial version and see if it works for you. BTW I am also graphic designer / graphic artist, so I can relate with your need to keep track of many creative projects. Hope that was a little helpful.

Wow ! My first post.
vigorblade is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:07 PM   #8
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

Things, iCal an OmniPlan would be your best option. I use iCal via my Mobile Me account it works, looks good and allows me to plan my week so what more does a person need?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:59 PM   #9
ChicoWeb
macrumors 65816

I struggled with this at my firm. Some are so complex they are almost unusable, so I made my own

The important parts for me where the priority, client, project name, then associated pending and completed tasks for each. I designed the system to be overly simple so my employees didn't get overwhelmed and enjoyed using it.

Some features

New Projects or replies appear in full marroon as seen below.
I can create projects for my employees and give them full requirements and attach any documentation or logo artwork.
I can associate tasks with projects for each employee. They will get an email saying they've been assigned a task.
They can reply and comment, just as I can on the task.
They can upload their comps - This also makes nice links for my clients to view comps and for print companies to download high large zips.
I can view everyones tasks on one screen
I can mark tasks as completed
Update priority, phases, etc.

Personally I use Daylite (http://marketcircle.com/daylite/) to monitor myself and leads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	1339
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	131010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	565
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	131011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	563
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	131012  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	396
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	131013  
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:09 PM   #10
cdcastillo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to cdcastillo Send a message via Yahoo to cdcastillo Send a message via Skype™ to cdcastillo
Bento and iCal

May I suggest trying Bento (personal database from FileMaker) to track your projects, this has the advantage of easy customization to better serve your needs. Combine this with iCal schedule management and I think you have a winner...

Just an example: here, a goofy one, I know, but still, an example.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:20 AM   #11
scotty96LSC
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcastillo View Post
May I suggest trying Bento (personal database from FileMaker) to track your projects, this has the advantage of easy customization to better serve your needs. Combine this with iCal schedule management and I think you have a winner...

Just an example: here, a goofy one, I know, but still, an example.
Bento would be a good choice if you want to build something yourself. There are templates to help with that.
We are a Filemaker Pro training facility but all of us use Bento for personal project management.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:34 AM   #12
detz
macrumors 65816

Check out http://www.invoicejournal.com for free invoicing.

I've tried Basecamp and some open source project management stuff but I'm not organized enough to use these. :-)
detz is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:18 AM   #13
sharonrot
macrumors newbie

did you try RationalPlan Multi Project?

I needed a simple project managment and tried a few, this one is good:
RationalPlan Multi Project for Mac

enjoy,
Sharon
sharonrot is offline   0
Old May 4, 2009, 03:16 PM   #14
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

For a to-do list I love "Things"

For project management, I have used Merlin.

Many project managers at the studios I have worked with use Microsoft Project.
lucidmedia is offline   0
Old May 4, 2009, 04:07 PM   #15
ryanhunt
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to ryanhunt
Merlin

The best project management software I've used is Merlin - it's the closest thing on the Mac i could find to Microsoft Project.

It's not cheap, but it's really powerful and fairly easy to pick up and learn. Supports importing/exporting to/from MS Project files

http://www.projectwizards.net/en/products/merlin
ryanhunt is offline   0
Old May 14, 2009, 07:21 AM   #16
stevejeff
macrumors newbie

Try PlanningForce

@ Thread Starter

You can try PlanningForce. Its really robust & efficient for me. Even cost effective & more over VFM ! You can download a trial from their website http://www.planningforce.com/ . You can use it, you will not regret!
stevejeff is offline   0
Old May 17, 2009, 06:21 AM   #17
northerngit
macrumors member

Another option is Process:

http://www.jumsoft.com/process/

It was given away free recently as part of a MacHeist bundle.
northerngit is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2009, 03:06 PM   #18
mike268
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoWeb View Post
I struggled with this at my firm. Some are so complex they are almost unusable, so I made my own

The important parts for me where the priority, client, project name, then associated pending and completed tasks for each. I designed the system to be overly simple so my employees didn't get overwhelmed and enjoyed using it.

Some features

New Projects or replies appear in full marroon as seen below.
I can create projects for my employees and give them full requirements and attach any documentation or logo artwork.
I can associate tasks with projects for each employee. They will get an email saying they've been assigned a task.
They can reply and comment, just as I can on the task.
They can upload their comps - This also makes nice links for my clients to view comps and for print companies to download high large zips.
I can view everyones tasks on one screen
I can mark tasks as completed
Update priority, phases, etc.

Personally I use Daylite (http://marketcircle.com/daylite/) to monitor myself and leads.
Sorry for digging up an old thread.

From what you've posted, this looks like almost the perfect solution for my studio. Have you ever considered releasing this to the public?
mike268 is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:10 AM   #19
peter105
macrumors newbie

project management software cost

Use the project management software calculator from the following link http://www.valleyspeak.com/index.php...ost-calculator
to calculate your project management software cost.
peter105 is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:35 AM   #20
peter105
macrumors newbie

project management software cost

Use the project management software calculator from the following link http://www.valleyspeak.com/index.php...ost-calculator
to calculate your project management software cost.
peter105 is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:33 AM   #21
design-is
macrumors 65816

For a one man band, Billings might be worth looking at! Not too complicated and does a cracking job of tracking time
design-is is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:29 AM   #22
ChicoWeb
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike268 View Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread.

From what you've posted, this looks like almost the perfect solution for my studio. Have you ever considered releasing this to the public?
Probably Not...it wouldn't be a bad idea, I just don't want to have to support it. There are also several interfaces for creating new projects and such that would need a lot of love... It works great for what we want, but may vary for others.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:14 AM   #23
just85
macrumors newbie

Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhunt View Post
The best project management software I've used is Merlin - it's the closest thing on the Mac i could find to Microsoft Project.

It's not cheap, but it's really powerful and fairly easy to pick up and learn. Supports importing/exporting to/from MS Project files

http://www.projectwizards.net/en/products/merlin
Have you used the iPhone component to this? Is there a useful dashboard?
just85 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:33 PM   #24
hugothomsen
macrumors member

Quote:

The combination of Billings, Merlin, Things and OmniOutliner is superior to anything I have used on Windows. From an integration point of view Billings and Merlin exchange data - OmniOutliner is excellent for meeting notes, and Things for private actions that do not go into the PPlan.

Merlin exports smoothly to MS Project, which is critical for me, running projects involving several other PMs, all stuck with Windows, and imports equally smoothly. For Billings, I can invoice straight based on project output.

In general, the investment has been worth it - I looked at OmniPlan and found it inadequate. I tried using FlexTeam (from App4Mac) after stupidly buying it - in practise it is a shining example of how Mac should NOT be designed - hopeless software, no integration, no flexible reports, clunky. For that reason I didn't try their Projector software either as I expected to waste my time on that, too.

So ... DayLite is a good piece of kit, too, but I find it annoying when using it in anger (tried it out for a month). Ended up where I am, absolutely happy and with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers,

Hugo
hugothomsen is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:35 PM   #25
rimac
macrumors newbie

Project Management for Mac Graphic Studio

try <www.workflowmax.com> beats them all
rimac is offline   -1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics