Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shkrbby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Whenever I plug my Time Capsule into my Macbook with an ethernet cable it is not recognised. On the network setting it says that the ethernet is assigned an IP but whenever I try to start a backup session the device is not displayed?!?

I can connect the Time Capsule wirelessly however due to the time it takes to do the initial backup I want to do it via ethernet.

Please help.

Cheers
David.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You need to make sure that you are connected to a LAN port (<-->) not the WAN port. Also make sure you are using NAT and DHCP, are allowing connections between wireless and wired, and that the LAN ports are on.

TEG

flashgooden1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
problems connecting time capsule

Hi,

I'm working on a Tiger OS and I cannot connect to my time capsule. I followed instructions in the manual, but I simply do not see Time Capsule on my desktop. I am working off of ethernet, not airport, and would prefer to used ethernet for the moment. I have it connected via LAN port to my macbook pro. There's only one ethernet port on my computer. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks much.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Hi,

I'm working on a Tiger OS and I cannot connect to my time capsule. I followed instructions in the manual, but I simply do not see Time Capsule on my desktop. I am working off of ethernet, not airport, and would prefer to used ethernet for the moment. I have it connected via LAN port to my macbook pro. There's only one ethernet port on my computer. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks much.

Is your Time Capsule being recognized by Airport Utility?To see TC on your desktop go to Finder-->Prefs-->and on main click on everything "show items on desktop".

Deweythesecond

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
I had the same problem and this is how you sort it out.

If you want to use the Time Capsule as a backing up device, without the wireless functionality, for any reason (my reason being my ISP doesn't allow me to connect any other machine to the network, only my macbook), then you need to reset the machine to factory settings.

Hold down the reset button for 5 seconds until the amber light flashes.

Open up Airport Utility and give it a few minutes to recognise your Time Capsule.

You then need to follow the on-screen instructions and choose the option that says you do NOT want the Time Capsule set up wirelessly, you just want it to back up through the ethernet! There you go!

That's how you use the Time Capsule as a backing up device without any of it's wireless features!

zowiebowie

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Time capsule initial slow backup solved

i have a macbook pro and just bought time capsule (TC)
initial backup has been PAINFUL... overnight 16G... of 100...

turned off X barrier virus,, no improvement
turned off spotlight,, no improvement
ethernet cable plugged in as well as wireless connected but ethernet showing yellow in network prefs

solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- went into airport utility to change TC setting
- selected "disable wireless and connect by ethernet"
- error messages came up saying no IP
- ignored them
- ethernet still shows yellow in network prefs
- restarted backup
- and its FLYING, just done 16G in the time its taken me to register here and write this.

will probably turn wireless back on in airport utility and let it backup wirelessly after initial one,

hope this helps someone. IM HAPPY NOW

trevfromsydney

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Thank you very much

ethernet cable plugged in as well as wireless connected but ethernet showing yellow in network prefs

solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- ignored them
- restarted backup
- and its FLYING, just done 16G in the time its taken me to register here and write this.

will probably turn wireless back on in airport utility and let it backup wirelessly after initial one,

Followed as described above worked perfectly, reduced from 69 hours estimated to 3. Thank you

finin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- ignored them
- restarted backup

This solved my problem, too. Thanks!

han132

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011

solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- ignored them
- restarted backup

Followed your instructions and it worked! Thanks for the good tip! :)

macacoman

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011

solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- ignored them
- restarted backup

Zowie-b and Deweythesecond you guys rule!!! THANKS!!!

650dan

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
How to use WiFI for internet while using ethernet for Time Capsule

I was excited to get my new Time Capsule. After reading that the initial backup would take a while and would go more quickly via ethernet, I hooked my time capsule up via ethernet.
I didn't want to set up my Time Capsule wifi at this point, so I chose the options to skip that.
While the Time Capsule started backing up as expected, I found that I could no longer access the internet (browser, email).
I found a way to use the ethernet with Time Capsule while still using your old wireless network to browse, get email, etc.
Go to System Preferences > Network. Note the order that your items appear in the left list. By default, ethernet is listed above Airport. You can tell your Mac that you want Airport to be used first (for internet).
At the bottom of the list, click on the settings cog icon and select "Set service order" from the dropdown menu. Move Aiport above ethernet and voila, your Time Capsule backup will work at ethernet speed and you can still surf the web using your wifi.

mickfarrell

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Zürich

solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- ignored them
- restarted backup

Thanks for this, it worked for me too!

----------

I was excited to get my new Time Capsule. After reading that the initial backup would take a while and would go more quickly via ethernet, I hooked my time capsule up via ethernet.
I didn't want to set up my Time Capsule wifi at this point, so I chose the options to skip that.
While the Time Capsule started backing up as expected, I found that I could no longer access the internet (browser, email).
I found a way to use the ethernet with Time Capsule while still using your old wireless network to browse, get email, etc.
Go to System Preferences > Network. Note the order that your items appear in the left list. By default, ethernet is listed above Airport. You can tell your Mac that you want Airport to be used first (for internet).
At the bottom of the list, click on the settings cog icon and select "Set service order" from the dropdown menu. Move Aiport above ethernet and voila, your Time Capsule backup will work at ethernet speed and you can still surf the web using your wifi.

This was really useful, thanks.

stoneoyster

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
Best advice!

solution was
- left ethernet cable in
- ignored them
- restarted backup

_______
Worked perfectly. Also performed a "Safe mode" restart followed by a normal restart and transfer is flying. 12GB in ~10 min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.