Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
New GPRS/EDGE/3G icons

Support for turning 24hr clock off

New Carrier listing in About page

Also baseband is still the same for 2G iPhone

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 64

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
For the first time since getting my iPhone (original) I didn't upgrade to the latest version -- 2.0.2. In iTunes I see "Update" which, when clicked, always tries to install 2.0.2. It used to be that I would click that button and it would search for the new version...

So, the question is, has anyone been through an update this way and did iTunes simply alert you when the update was available?

Nevermind -- I hit update and it notified me 2.1 was available...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Nice list, covers pretty much all of my gripes with 2.0.X. And they didn't even mention the new way Location Services works (you get the option to switch it on temporarily or permanently).
Scratch that, that's not what it's doing at all. You get two buttons, [Settings] and [OK], but hitting OK doesn't actually do anything other than close the dialog. I thought OK would enable location services for the duration of the session and switch it off automatically when you leave the application (e.g. Maps), but I guess not.

Juno Blaster

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Mine is STILL backing up - and it's not even a quarter of the way. Oh, how the excitement has worn off. I thought backing up was meant to be snappier!?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Mine is STILL backing up - and it's not even a quarter of the way. Oh, how the excitement has worn off. I thought backing up was meant to be snappier!?
The actual backup part of the sync process is indeed much faster, but unfortunately that's only a small part of it. Syncing contacts, mail, photos, music, videos etc it just as slow as before.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
No Help for 3G

I was almost excited for several seconds. Turned on 3G and got 5 full bars. Pointed Safari at TestMyIphone...and the blasted thing dropped to Edge. Closed Safari, 3G returned. Lather, rinse, repeat: 3G just went away. So, at least in Killeen, TX....this update is a 3G POS. As is the phone.

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
UK

ALso your first back up will always be slower than future ones as its backing the whole phone contents up.... where as future ones back up just the changes...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I was almost excited for several seconds. Turned on 3G and got 5 full bars. Pointed Safari at TestMyIphone...and the blasted thing dropped to Edge. Closed Safari, 3G returned. Lather, rinse, repeat: 3G just went away. So, at least in Killeen, TX....this update is a 3G POS. As is the phone.

2.1 3G Speedtest

D/l speed: 237 Kb/s
Upload speed: 50 Kb/s

This is with 5 bars!

Great, I have a 3G with half the speed of EDGE.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
So what is exactly is the point of backup anyways considering you can resync all your contacts, calendars, ringtones, apps from itunes, anyways. Loosing all your sms messages and some settings here or there is hardly worth waiting hours for a backup imo.

I simply did a restore as a new phone and then resync. So much faster.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
If you tap while an iTunes song is playing, the Genius icon will appear.
I haven't tapped the Genius icon yet. I'm going to experiment with Genius on
my computer before I mess with my phone.

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.