Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
This isn't final, I just want a rough idea, but here is the thing:

My macbook is broken. I figured it would be more cost effective to sell it for parts, and then to just buy a new low-end macbook when they are refreshed in October.

But, I don't just want to ebay it.

Call me crazy, I am totally serious, but my macbook was a great friend to me, and I have emotionally bonded with it. When I was on the airplane and there was some pretty rough turbulance, I hugged my macbook and protected it. I am not joking at all.

I would prefer to have my loss be other peoples gain. the best thing I think I could do with my macbook is sell it to a repair site (like iFixit), and have it so all my macbook's good parts can be put in broken macbooks and give them like again. Like donating organs.

I would hate my macbook to be sold to those 'Smash some stuff' kids. I mean, I have been with my macbook, and I don't want it to destroyed by some kids.

This isn't final, I might end up just repairing it myself, but if there are any companies that sell refurb macbooks or sell broken macbook parts that are interested, post a rough price, and I will be considering and talking with my dad about it.

p0Wer

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
How did it break from turbulence? Pressure? :S

On the apple website it says the MacBook can only operate up to 10,000 feet, but they offer you on their website an "in-flight MacBook charger". :confused:

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK

On the apple website it says the MacBook can only operate up to 10,000 feet, but they offer you on their website an "in-flight MacBook charger". :confused:

Ummm - perhaps they expect you to use that charger on an aeroplane, where air pressure is pretty much constant, rather than 1/3 of the way up Mount Everest, where it will be substantially less than 1 atmosphere. Just a thought. :)

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Techound: I know it is easy, but I find it is a better value for me to just sell it off and buy one of the new 'books.

Power, Matthew: It didn't break from turbulence, lol, that was an unrelated story.

The logic board just crapped out for some reason.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Techound: I know it is easy, but I find it is a better value for me to just sell it off and buy one of the new 'books.

Power, Matthew: It didn't break from turbulence, lol, that was an unrelated story.

The logic board just crapped out for some reason.

u can't fix it under warranty? macbooks aren't THAT old....

or do u just prefer to buy a new one when they come out?

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008

Maybe because the avg cabin pressure in an airliner cabin is around 4500' at cruise and not 10,000'. Something about pressurization.

vmgirl

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Broken Macbook pro

Hi,
I dropped my Macbook Pro and the hard drive failed. Ot is less than 2 years old. I had to replace it yesterday and am looking to sell the old one for some $$$. The recycling program from Mac offered me $0.00. Anyone know where to sell this computer off for parts? Everything else is in perfect condition, including screen, frame and battery.
Anyone know where to go? I am in NYC.

EasyBeat88

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Airborn had the right idea, but this site gives you an instant quote: sellmymacnow.com.

There aren't a lot of options for selling broken macbooks. Personally, I'd take the easy way out and sell it to a service like the one mentioned above, but you will get more money parting it out and selling the working/not damaged parts individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.