Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBM007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Boulder
I know this is an insanely n00bish question but I've never figured out how to turn the Num Lock on....I have a Apple wireless keyboard.

thanks for the help

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
if you use the apple wireless keyboard, in OS X, there is no num lock. the number keypad on the right is on number all the time.

if you use it in Windows, press the key that's at the normal location of PC keyboard num lock... i think it says clear, but i can be well wrong.

Edit: actually, i'm not, it does say clear :)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i don't think there's a LED for the clear key... there's a LED for the caps lock tho :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
:confused: I've had my mac for over 5 years and still haven't found out what it does. The led doesn't even light up

the clear key? it clears. lol

for example open up your calculator or go to the widget... start computing. clear will clear it out :p

MBM007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Boulder
Well thats strange....my keypad has never worked from day 1 then...I've never had much use for it so I haven't complained....its strange because my =/*-+ and volume/eject keys all work....its just the numbers that dont work...if I happen to hit "0" on the keypad my comp freezes for a bit....I don't know what is going on

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
There is, exactly like the one on the Caps Lock key

can you tell me where the LED for the num lock is?
directin_apple.jpg

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I know this is an insanely n00bish question but I've never figured out how to turn the Num Lock on....I have a Apple wireless keyboard.

thanks for the help

:confused: I've had my mac for over 5 years and still haven't found out what it does. The led doesn't even light up

There is, exactly like the one on the Caps Lock key

Then it's F6.

I think he meant on a laptop keyboard.

guys, take a minute, read the original post before you chip in.

MBM007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Boulder
does anyone else have this problem? In case you forgot, my keypad on the right side of my apple wireless keyboard has NEVER functioned.... is there anything I can do?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
And that's the Apple wireless keyboard? I don't see an LED on mine. My 'clear' button only says 'clear'. No num lock nor LED light.

I never said I had a wireless keyboard. It came out about a year after I got my mac. I simply said that, like the OP, I had no idea how to turn it on, since my led doesn't light up. Then everyone blasted me and said that num lock has no leds :rolleyes:

Excuse me for having an old, wired keyboard :p

And sorry, MBM007, I got a bit carried away ;)
If it has never worked, it's probably due to a bad internal connection in the keyboard. Have you taken it to get it serviced?

MBM007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Boulder
I still really feel that there is some way of turning it on that I don't know about....I originally thought it might be in system preferences but I've had no luck.
I just think its pretty strange that all the keys surrounding the number-pad work (=/*-+) volume buttons, eject.....but the number keys don't work:mad:

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I still really feel that there is some way of turning it on that I don't know about....I originally thought it might be in system preferences but I've had no luck.
I just think its pretty strange that all the keys surrounding the number-pad work (=/*-+) volume buttons, eject.....but the number keys don't work:mad:

There is a setting in preferences/keyboard/ turn full keyboard access on or off.

However I don't know if this has any impact on your problem though, but it's worth a shot.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I never said I had a wireless keyboard. It came out about a year after I got my mac. I simply said that, like the OP, I had no idea how to turn it on, since my led doesn't light up. Then everyone blasted me and said that num lock has no leds :rolleyes:

Excuse me for having an old, wired keyboard :p

well you know, we were all talking with the assumption of common ground, which is the apple wireless keyboard... if you want to introduce new keyboard, at least let us know...

but oh well :)

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
There is a setting in preferences/keyboard/ turn full keyboard access on or off.

I didn't remember that. Did it work, MBM007? If that doesn't work, it may be what I said before.

EDIT: I just tried the full keyboard access thing and I could use the keypad without a problem. So that's not it.

well you know, we were all talking with the assumption of common ground, which is the apple wireless keyboard... if you want to introduce new keyboard, at least let us know...

but oh well :)

Point taken :p I'll be careful to explain myself better next time

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
can you tell me where the LED for the num lock is?

On the older Apple Pro keyboards, the Clear key does have a green LED. It doesn't do anything on a Mac, but when using the keyboard on a PC, it does light up, just like a PC keyboard. I use one of these keyboards on my work PC. If you have one of the newer Apple keyboards like your picture, there is no light, but the Clear key still toggles "NUM Lock" on & off on a PC or when using Windows on a Mac.

cjcurtis18

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Numb Lock Found

shift and clear, no light to indicate, open an excel document and it will display at the bottom.

reimersholme71

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Cursor keys perhaps?

does anyone else have this problem? In case you forgot, my keypad on the right side of my apple wireless keyboard has NEVER functioned.... is there anything I can do?

I had the same problem for a long time. Got really tired of the keypad not working. Hten today I searched the web for an answer, wrote in to Apple and then it hit me: there's a finctio called cursor keys (I think) that makes your numerical keypad into a mouse replacement by hitting Option five times in a row. My son might have done that... :D

padits

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
apple keyboard num lock!!!

Hello forum members,

possible I have the solution about the numbers problem, as have forum member MBM007,
please go to system in the systemmenu then go to universal entry or so (I am not sure because I read the program in an other language) bleu round sign with a person inside. op this menu than go to mouse and the first you see put them on out. now must be everything normal, by me it is working also for my wireless blue tooth keyboard with have also many problems before.

Wikinerd

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008

tried pressing alt/option 5 times in succession? I'm not sure, but its something to do with Full Keyboard Access

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.