Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:51 AM   #1851
dal20402
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
I'm still trying to find the "pro" features on the MBP that I would actually consider "pro" features desirable for "pro" audio production. When I compare the "pro" features found on something like the LiveBook Mobile Audio Worksation by Rain to those on the MacBook Pro, the MBP ends up looking like a toy.
Huh? They're different, but the Rain doesn't walk all over the MBP by any means..

The Rain has 2 extra Firewire 400 ports, an eSATA port, the ability to take 8GB RAM (vs. 6GB), a slightly higher-res screen, a crappy card reader, and... a modem .

The MBP has better video out (2560x1600 digital vs. 2048x1536 analog), digital audio out/in (an odd feature to be missing on an "audio" machine), a faster base processor, a FireWire 800 port (vs. only 400), LED backlighting, and a faster FSB (1066MHz vs. 800MHz).

Add to this the fact that the MBP is beautiful, while the Rain just looks like any other laptop, and... most importantly, the MBP runs a non-crap OS.

More ports is not the be-all and end-all of notebook performance.
dal20402 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:40 AM   #1852
editguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedButter View Post
No option? That is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? Apple still sell the White MacBook. Its just tough luck to get both the Unibody AND firewire.
There is NO option if you want one with firewire that is not yesterday's technology.
editguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:43 AM   #1853
Tosser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dal20402 View Post
Huh? They're different, but the Rain doesn't walk all over the MBP by any means..

The Rain has 2 extra Firewire 400 ports, an eSATA port, the ability to take 8GB RAM (vs. 6GB), a slightly higher-res screen, a crappy card reader, and... a modem .

The MBP has better video out (2560x1600 digital vs. 2048x1536 analog), digital audio out/in (an odd feature to be missing on an "audio" machine), a faster base processor, a FireWire 800 port (vs. only 400), LED backlighting, and a faster FSB (1066MHz vs. 800MHz).

Add to this the fact that the MBP is beautiful, while the Rain just looks like any other laptop, and... most importantly, the MBP runs a non-crap OS.

More ports is not the be-all and end-all of notebook performance.
Screen Resolution (native):
MBP: 1440 by 900
LB: 1680X1500
(i.e. the NATIVE resolution is much higher on the livebook –*you know - the native resolution that is the most important on a laptop).

Firewire:
MBP: ONE firewire 800 port, using the Agere chipset
Livebook: Two FW-400 ports – using TI-chipsets.
– yes, the MBP's port is quicker than a FW400 port, in that it is FW800, but as it's using an inferior Agere-chip, it's rather irrelevant. Secondly, the LB has a second chip in the express-slot. Yup, that's right. And speed wise? Well, that's a moot point as well, given that the livebook has esata.

Video out:
MBP: DVI output (using an adaptor), VGA (using another adaptor), Dual-link DVI-output (using a third adaptor).

Livebook: HDMI (this also means audio out) and VGA.

You talk about the Livebook having a lesser analogue out. But it has both. It has a VGA AND an HDMI out.


RAM:
MBP: According to Apple, the MBP supports up to 4, not 6GB.
Livebook: up to 8GB. RAM matters if you work with lots of (real, not virtual) tracks.


Further, the livebook does have mic-in. It's true, tough, that it doesn't have a minijack for audio-out, except for the headphone plug (which is just an ordinary headphone plug), but pros seldomly use minijack plugs, especially optical ones. No, firewire, esata, PCI Express/express card is where it's at.

When it comes to your argument that it has faster "base" processor, I can't see how that's relevant. You can get the same processor speed on both if you want. They both top out with the same 2.8GHz.

The only thing the MBP has is, as you point out, the backlit keyboard and faster bus.


One could much better argue,that backlit keyboards and slightly faster bus doesn't matter much if you're not able to get the audio properly in and out of the thing.
The OS, then? Well, my clients don't care about what OS I use. They care about money, deadlines and quality of the end product. No more, no less.

And I'm sorry to say, you completely lost me in your fanboyism when you try to make the argument that pros should by the MBP because "it's beautiful". Really? Again, my clients really don't care. Neither do I when push comes to shove: I want it to WORK "beautifully", not just LOOK beautiful.
Further, I think it's good it looks like "just another laptop" – I really don't like to broadcast (yes, pun intended) a "steal me"-signal every time I use my laptop.

No, ports aren't the end-all of audio production on a laptop. But without the proper ports, chances are you won't get anything done.

So, I agree: The MBP certainly does look like a toy when compared to this thing. Hell, it even has a num-pad to add insult to injury.

Will it be my next laptop? Nope. It doesn't come with a danish keyboard, nor do they sell it in this country. I will be going for a Thinkpad instead.
Tosser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:43 AM   #1854
editguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansj64 View Post
The above quote really now gets to the real heart of the matter for a lot of people...they want to have their cake and eat it too. ...
No, they want a MB with functional features. And for an entry fee of $1300+ it a ver reasonable request.
editguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:52 AM   #1855
editguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosser View Post
Screen Resolution (native):
MBP: 1440 by 900
LB: 1680X1500
(i.e. the NATIVE resolution is much higher on the livebook –*you know - the native resolution that is the most important on a laptop).

Firewire:
MBP: ONE firewire 800 port, using the Agere chipset
Livebook: Two FW-400 ports – using TI-chipsets.
– yes, the MBP's port is quicker than a FW400 port, in that it is FW800, but as it's using an inferior Agere-chip, it's rather irrelevant. Secondly, the LB has a second chip in the express-slot. Yup, that's right. And speed wise? Well, that's a moot point as well, given that the livebook has esata.

Video out:
MBP: DVI output (using an adaptor), VGA (using another adaptor), Dual-link DVI-output (using a third adaptor).

Livebook: HDMI (this also means audio out) and VGA.

You talk about the Livebook having a lesser analogue out. But it has both. It has a VGA AND an HDMI out.


RAM:
MBP: According to Apple, the MBP supports up to 4, not 6GB.
Livebook: up to 8GB. RAM matters if you work with lots of (real, not virtual) tracks.


Further, the livebook does have mic-in. It's true, tough, that it doesn't have a minijack for audio-out, except for the headphone plug (which is just an ordinary headphone plug), but pros seldomly use minijack plugs, especially optical ones. No, firewire, esata, PCI Express/express card is where it's at.

When it comes to your argument that it has faster "base" processor, I can't see how that's relevant. You can get the same processor speed on both if you want. They both top out with the same 2.8GHz.

The only thing the MBP has is, as you point out, the backlit keyboard and faster bus.


One could much better argue,that backlit keyboards and slightly faster bus doesn't matter much if you're not able to get the audio properly in and out of the thing.
The OS, then? Well, my clients don't care about what OS I use. They care about money, deadlines and quality of the end product. No more, no less.

And I'm sorry to say, you completely lost me in your fanboyism when you try to make the argument that pros should by the MBP because "it's beautiful". Really? Again, my clients really don't care. Neither do I when push comes to shove: I want it to WORK "beautifully", not just LOOK beautiful.
Further, I think it's good it looks like "just another laptop" – I really don't like to broadcast (yes, pun intended) a "steal me"-signal every time I use my laptop.

No, ports aren't the end-all of audio production on a laptop. But without the proper ports, chances are you won't get anything done.

So, I agree: The MBP certainly does look like a toy when compared to this thing. Hell, it even has a num-pad to add insult to injury.

Will it be my next laptop? Nope. It doesn't come with a danish keyboard, nor do they sell it in this country. I will be going for a Thinkpad instead.
Very well stated.
For the professional (no matter what that profession is) what matters most is that the computer is a tool that needs to be functional. Otherwise, it's an expensive paperweight. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on something that is just going to be used to listen to and download music, do a little word processing or surf the net (so that I can show off to my friends what a "beautiful" and "cool" notebook I have). I can use my five and a half year old 12" Powerbook (attractive AND functional WITH firewire) for that. I'm typing on it right now.
editguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:03 AM   #1856
ansj64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
At long last, a reasonable person....it should always be about the function, not the form...


Quote:
Originally Posted by editguy View Post
Very well stated.
For the professional (no matter what that profession is) what matters most is that the computer is a tool that needs to be functional. Otherwise, it's an expensive paperweight. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on something that is just going to be used to listen to and download music, do a little word processing or surf the net (so that I can show off to my friends what a "beautiful" and "cool" notebook I have). I can use my five and a half year old 12" Powerbook (attractive AND functional WITH firewire) for that. I'm typing on it right now.
ansj64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:06 AM   #1857
ansj64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I am sure they have studied the market and for all you know, there may be something up their sleeve, which is why they have taken firewire out....I thought fanboys always believed Steve Jobs is God and he knows what he's doing...

As for the Itouch Gen 2 argument, I agree changes can be made always...the assumption is...will it be easy to make the change. ANy engineers here who can tell everybody here how easy or difficult it is to add back the firewire port??? We keep on arguing this point and if it isn't going to be easy, then it won't be done!


Quote:
Originally Posted by editguy View Post
No, they want a MB with functional features. And for an entry fee of $1300+ it a ver reasonable request.
ansj64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:46 AM   #1858
vvebsta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansj64 View Post
The above quote really now gets to the real heart of the matter for a lot of people...they want to have their cake and eat it too. ...
I HAVE a firewire port on my CURRENT macbook! How is this wanting to have my cake and eat it too? At the very least when buying a newer machine from the same product line I'd expect to at least retain the old features or have them replaced with a better one. Why is that asking too much?
vvebsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:31 AM   #1859
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040
 
CrackedButter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 51st State of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvebsta View Post
I could care less about the unibody honestly. If Apple sold the white macbook with the same specs (nvidia graphics, illuminated keyboard, LED display) I would buy it in a heartbeat!!
It's 'I couldn't care less'. That fact that you could care less is telling me you do care but you could care less than what you already do, but aren't doing so. See how it doesn't make sense?

Anyway as I said, its tough luck, your choices are very limited if you stay with Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvebsta View Post
I don't know why people are saying the fire wire won't fit on the unibody. Just ditch one of the USB ports for a FireWire port. If you need more USB there are tons of cheap pocket sized hubs. What's the big deal???
If anything, I want more USB ports as well, why should I have hubs? And second as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the issue of Firewire could be because it draws more power as a connector than USB. FW is 7W while USB is .5W. So you're not just talking about adding a port, its the other bits to feed that port on the motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansj64 View Post
I am sure they have studied the market and for all you know, there may be something up their sleeve, which is why they have taken firewire out....I thought fanboys always believed Steve Jobs is God and he knows what he's doing...

As for the Itouch Gen 2 argument, I agree changes can be made always...the assumption is...will it be easy to make the change. ANy engineers here who can tell everybody here how easy or difficult it is to add back the firewire port??? We keep on arguing this point and if it isn't going to be easy, then it won't be done!
Actually, the real die hard mac fans are also the most critical who don't lap up everything Steve Jobs says or does.
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee
http://jonathanjk.com
CrackedButter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1860
Eric S.
macrumors 68040
 
Eric S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansj64 View Post
I am sure they have studied the market and for all you know, there may be something up their sleeve, which is why they have taken firewire out....
What's "up their sleeve" is the MBP for $700 more.
__________________
laptop: 2011 MBP Core i5 2.3GHz/8GB/750GB/Intel 3000/10.6.8
desktop: Core i7 920 2.66GHz/4GB/640GB/XFX GeForce 9600 GSO/10.6.3
previous: Mac Plus, IIci, PB 100, Quadra 840av, PowerMac G4, etc.
Eric S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1861
robanga
macrumors 68000
 
robanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by editguy View Post
Very well stated.
For the professional (no matter what that profession is) what matters most is that the computer is a tool that needs to be functional. Otherwise, it's an expensive paperweight. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on something that is just going to be used to listen to and download music, do a little word processing or surf the net (so that I can show off to my friends what a "beautiful" and "cool" notebook I have). I can use my five and a half year old 12" Powerbook (attractive AND functional WITH firewire) for that. I'm typing on it right now.
Well as a "professional" I do use the MB to download some music, surf the net and word process. However i also use it to;

Write business plans
Do PowerPoint/Keynote presentations
Edit and approve marketing requirements documents
Connect to the enterprise systems at work and run reports
Create, edit and approve budgets and forecasts
Approve time and project accounting
Review resumes
Schedule myself and allow my assistant to do the same
Run Windows via Bootcamp at Fusion so that I can access Outlook and other Windows only applications such as SnagIt.

Could I do the above on a $ 700 HP? Most likely but I'd rather spend the extra $600 to work on the computer that I enjoy, as well as having access to the best operating system. So its more than a bargin.

Why do you think your version of "professional" is any more valid than mine? Which do you suppose is the larger market?
__________________
Soli Deo gloria
robanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1862
mjteix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedButter View Post
If anything, I want more USB ports as well, why should I have hubs? And second as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the issue of Firewire could be because it draws more power as a connector than USB. FW is 7W while USB is .5W. So you're not just talking about adding a port, its the other bits to feed that port on the motherboard.
The FW port doesn't draw more power than a USB port. FW is capable of transporting power to the connected device (up to 7W), that allows for the device to be powered by FW, handy when you're outdoors... Since the new MB is using the same power adapter, a similar battery and uses lower TDP cpus (25W vs 35W), it shouldn't be a problem to bring 7W or even twice as that to Firewire ports.

There's no question that with the new design (battery latch), Apple had to cut one port, the easy way was to remove FW, as it also simplifies the motherboard (no additional chip to control the FW port), and it is also a port less used by consumers.

A more elegant way would have been to pioneer the Combo Ethernet/FW800 concept that has been approved as the 1394c standard or FW S800T. But that would imply a reworked motherboard, additional costs, additional drivers and testing, additional adapters, etc...

Given that the Ethernet port is also less and less used in households (wireless connection to internet) as well as entreprises, giving this possibility would make the MB an even more versatile computer, and it would still not compete with the MBP (bigger screen, faster cpus, more storage options, Expresscard slot, etc...).

I hope Apple will revise the MacBook next spring to offer this technology, along other refinements...

FWIW, we are still at least one year away from USB3 and FW3200 could be offered next year on high-end computers (controller chips are being manufactured). USB and FW don't serve the same purposes. So I'm excited to see what (audio/hard drives/DSP) manufacturers will offer with FW3200.
mjteix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:11 PM   #1863
moisiss
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosser View Post
Screen Resolution (native):
MBP: 1440 by 900
LB: 1680X1500
(i.e. the NATIVE resolution is much higher on the livebook –*you know - the native resolution that is the most important on a laptop).

Firewire:
MBP: ONE firewire 800 port, using the Agere chipset
Livebook: Two FW-400 ports – using TI-chipsets.
– yes, the MBP's port is quicker than a FW400 port, in that it is FW800, but as it's using an inferior Agere-chip, it's rather irrelevant. Secondly, the LB has a second chip in the express-slot. Yup, that's right. And speed wise? Well, that's a moot point as well, given that the livebook has esata.

Video out:
MBP: DVI output (using an adaptor), VGA (using another adaptor), Dual-link DVI-output (using a third adaptor).

Livebook: HDMI (this also means audio out) and VGA.

You talk about the Livebook having a lesser analogue out. But it has both. It has a VGA AND an HDMI out.


RAM:
MBP: According to Apple, the MBP supports up to 4, not 6GB.
Livebook: up to 8GB. RAM matters if you work with lots of (real, not virtual) tracks.


Further, the livebook does have mic-in. It's true, tough, that it doesn't have a minijack for audio-out, except for the headphone plug (which is just an ordinary headphone plug), but pros seldomly use minijack plugs, especially optical ones. No, firewire, esata, PCI Express/express card is where it's at.

When it comes to your argument that it has faster "base" processor, I can't see how that's relevant. You can get the same processor speed on both if you want. They both top out with the same 2.8GHz.

The only thing the MBP has is, as you point out, the backlit keyboard and faster bus.


One could much better argue,that backlit keyboards and slightly faster bus doesn't matter much if you're not able to get the audio properly in and out of the thing.
The OS, then? Well, my clients don't care about what OS I use. They care about money, deadlines and quality of the end product. No more, no less.

And I'm sorry to say, you completely lost me in your fanboyism when you try to make the argument that pros should by the MBP because "it's beautiful". Really? Again, my clients really don't care. Neither do I when push comes to shove: I want it to WORK "beautifully", not just LOOK beautiful.
Further, I think it's good it looks like "just another laptop" – I really don't like to broadcast (yes, pun intended) a "steal me"-signal every time I use my laptop.

No, ports aren't the end-all of audio production on a laptop. But without the proper ports, chances are you won't get anything done.

So, I agree: The MBP certainly does look like a toy when compared to this thing. Hell, it even has a num-pad to add insult to injury.

Will it be my next laptop? Nope. It doesn't come with a danish keyboard, nor do they sell it in this country. I will be going for a Thinkpad instead.
I think both the Rain livebook and new mbp probably suck for pro audio for one reason..... no native Texas Instruments FireWire! Yeah, the Rain comes with an express card TI firewire add-on, but you still have to go through the crappy (probably Ricoh) express card reader.... which means that it is still going to suck for audio (native/on-board TI all in one chipset.. including FW and express reader... is the pro standard. Everything else is suspect.) Granted, this is only important if you have a FW audio interface.... but that is the "pro" standard. I don't know of any USB audio interfaces that a pro would use.... not to say that there aren't any, but FW is the port of choice for pro audio.

Everything else spec. wise is secondary. Video res. ... who cares? It's audio we're talking about. On-board audio (digital or not)... who cares? NO pro would ever use the on-board sound card (they all use external audio interfaces connected via FW). The Rain supports up to 8GB RAM... who cares? I would guess that most pros who use windows would opt. for 32-bit XP for stability as both Vista (32 and 64 bit) and 64-bit XP just aren't supported widely enough to trust a pro gig with (there are exceptions, but I'm speaking in general)... so that most likely means only 3GB of RAM would be available for the Livebook as opposed to 4GB with the proven stability of OSX.

The lack of acceptable FW on 99% of Windows laptops and the new MB/MBP is why I bought the older MBP (with TI FW and proven stability) for my live stage rig as soon as the new MBP came out. I had to settle for a little less power, but for my needs all the power in the world is completely useless without the right type of FW chipset .... and neither the new MB, MBP, or Rain livebook have what I need.

This refresh round on Laptops in general (on the montevina platform) has been really bad for those of us involved in computer based audio, as pretty much every laptop on the market has done away with TI firewire or firewire in general.

Here is some more info about PC's for audio from one of the most respected audio computer re-sellers ADK audio...

"All our laptops have Native Texas Instruments Firewire Chipset!
Not some add in express card that some of our competitors try to pull off as having TI chipset. Not only does this not fix the issue but it takes a most valuable expansion slot away.
How important is this? Extremely, If you want low latency performance! Nearly all Audio interface manufacturers recommend Texas Instruments firewire chipset only. Laptops with Ricoh, Orange Micro, ENE, Agere and other firewire chipsets will either not work or work pitifully."

and for the details, check this out....

http://www.adkproaudio.com/compete.cfm#laptop

This from a company that has a client list that includes U2, Beastie Boys, Keith Urban/Carrie Underwood, Peter Frampton, and more.... doesn't get much more "pro" than that.

The Livebook is marketed towards hobbyist musicians that just don't know better. Even if I thought that their hardware could cut it, I would just buy the same barebones notebook they use and save some cash.
moisiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:16 PM   #1864
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601
 
Compile 'em all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post
It is our problem because it makes you forces you to make a very difficult choice between buying the Macbook and abandoning your investment in your firewire devices.
You are not forced to do anything. No one is forcing you to buy a macbook.
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1865
editguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansj64 View Post
I thought fanboys always believed Steve Jobs is God and he knows what he's doing...
If you were calling ME a fanboy, you couldn't have been farther off the mark.
editguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1866
editguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by robanga View Post

Why do you think your version of "professional" is any more valid than mine? Which do you suppose is the larger market?
I never said it was, but apparently you think yours is more valid than mine! The MB could be, and was before, good for both. Nothing was taken from you. Nothing would have been taken from you if firewire was still there. You're the one demonstrating an elitist attitude. Or, at the very least, an attititude of "I got what I wanted, I don't care about anyone else".
And the size of the market is irrelevant when it's something as simple as a firewire port. We aren't asking for them to add a never before existent feature. We are only asking for them to retain a very useful pre-existing feature.
editguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1867
editguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
You are not forced to do anything. No one is forcing you to buy a macbook.
Wow! That's deep. Sheesh.
editguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:07 AM   #1868
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a
 
Belly-laughs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: location location
Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
You are not forced to do anything. No one is forcing you to buy a macbook.
Almost 1900 posts, and you still don΄t get it. Your head banging is clearly causing injury.
Belly-laughs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:42 AM   #1869
3247
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix View Post
There's no question that with the new design (battery latch), Apple had to cut one port, the easy way was to remove FW, as it also simplifies the motherboard (no additional chip to control the FW port), and it is also a port less used by consumers.
Well, they could have removed the audio-in port.

Seriosly, with the audio-out port supporting the Apple Stereo Headset with Microphone, one does not need the audio-in port to connect to a headset. For non-Apple headsets (or separate microphones), a simple passive adaptor is sufficient.

There are few users who really need stereo input. They could still buy an USB or *cough* Firewire adaptor for audio input (and maybe video input).
Quote:
A more elegant way would have been to pioneer the Combo Ethernet/FW800 concept that has been approved as the 1394c standard or FW S800T. But that would imply a reworked motherboard, additional costs, additional drivers and testing, additional adapters, etc...
That would not really help. The physical layer of FW800T is completly different from FW800. You would still need an external hub-like-thing to connect to legacy firewire devices.
3247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 06:24 AM   #1870
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601
 
Compile 'em all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 127.0.0.1
While you are at it you can also ask for a serial port, 2 extra USBs and a VGA connector. I have a scanner that has a serial port which I use once every 5 months. Apple can clearly make a design change to accommodate my regular needs.

After all, windows machineries have more for less.
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 06:56 AM   #1871
localoid
macrumors 68020
 
localoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: America's Third World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
While you are at it you can also ask for a serial port, 2 extra USBs and a VGA connector. I have a scanner that has a serial port which I use once every 5 months. Apple can clearly make a design change to accommodate my regular needs.

After all, windows machineries have more for less.
You still don't get it.

You could use a Serial-USB cable to operate your scanner. Serial -> serial. Problem solved.

An "adapter" solves your theoretical problem, but you can't solve the lack of Firewire port with a simple adapter. Two different protocols...

Last edited by localoid; Nov 3, 2008 at 07:20 AM.
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:15 AM   #1872
ansj64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Then stay with the old Black macbook??? Why is it that it has to be the latest "TOY" when it doesn't serve your purpose anyway? Remember, it's JUST A TOOL.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vvebsta View Post
I HAVE a firewire port on my CURRENT macbook! How is this wanting to have my cake and eat it too? At the very least when buying a newer machine from the same product line I'd expect to at least retain the old features or have them replaced with a better one. Why is that asking too much?
ansj64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:22 AM   #1873
ansj64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Sorry, Apple is not only a social welfare organization but a business. It is their business to squeeze profit out of every product they make. They can't cut the price to increase their volume else it impinges on their "ELITE" image...so they have to make the profit from somewhere else.

It's up to you whether you will use the Macbook or take another PC laptop which DOES have firewire ports OR stay/buy the older version Macbook for YOUR needs.

The only reason why a lot of Apple fanboys complain is because they want to stay cooollll...forgetting that the machine they have right now will still do the job for them nad it HAS the firewire port .



Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. View Post
What's "up their sleeve" is the MBP for $700 more.
ansj64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:42 AM   #1874
Tosser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansj64 View Post
Sorry, Apple is not only a social welfare organization but a business. It is their business to squeeze profit out of every product they make. They can't cut the price to increase their volume else it impinges on their "ELITE" image...so they have to make the profit from somewhere else.

It's up to you whether you will use the Macbook or take another PC laptop which DOES have firewire ports OR stay/buy the older version Macbook for YOUR needs.

The only reason why a lot of Apple fanboys complain is because they want to stay cooollll...forgetting that the machine they have right now will still do the job for them nad it HAS the firewire port .
Sure, that's the only possible reason
Could it be that people will actually have to buy a new laptop at a given time, and they see this as a trend, and therefore do not like it?
Seriously, who in their right mind would consider it "cool" to have firewire or a non-glossy screen? Perhaps you're projecting the attempt to be cool?
Tosser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1875
3247
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
You could use a Serial-USB cable to operate your scanner. Serial -> serial. Problem solved.
An "adapter" solves your theoretical problem, but you can't solve the lack of Firewire port with a simple adapter. Two different protocols...
USB and RS-232 are completly different protocols (although both are serial). USB and IEEE 1284 (printer port) are completly different protocols. USB and IDE/ATA... SATA... SCSI... Bluetooth... IEEE 802.11a/b/g (WLAN)... UMTS/HSDPA... VGA... If you can make adaptors for those you can also make adaptors for Firewire.

However, having native Firewire would still be useful. That's because you can expect much higher performance from it (especially if it's FW800) than from a USB-to-FW adaptor. And because of target mode, of course.
3247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Steve Jobs Bio released one month earlier in iBookstore than Amazon? iapplefanboy Community Discussion 2 Oct 6, 2011 07:31 PM
Steve Jobs on Lack of Custom Wallpapers in iOS 4 for iPhone 3G MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 346 Jun 28, 2010 04:23 PM
Steve Jobs addresses lack of Mac design awards at WWDC MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 5 May 14, 2010 03:14 PM
Steve Jobs Confirms Lack of Future Support for Original iPhone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 265 Apr 27, 2010 08:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC