Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
And it's a shame because the cost of including FW in a $1299 laptop is negligible. I'm not an expert in technology, but I'm guessing the controller chips(re: southbridge, northbridge ?) already are capable of handling FW so it is a matter of adding traces on the motherboard, adding a FW chip and a port.

Again, I'm guessing, but I doubt it would cost $20.

$20 wasn't the issue, 0.13in was. This isn't any kind of technically issue, it's a design issue. Ive wanted a certain design and Apple cut out a feature to meet the space allowed by that design.

rickag

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2001
$20 wasn't the issue, 0.13in was. This isn't any kind of technically issue, it's a design issue. Ive wanted a certain design and Apple cut out a feature to meet the space allowed by that design.
I can't accept that space was an issue. Maybe the use of the space.

..................MacBook.............Dell Inspiron
Height............0.95"......................1"(front)/1.51"(back)
Width.............12.78"....................12.53"
Depth.............9.5"........................9.37"

While that seems like a significant difference in interior room, consider that the Dell comes with an Express Card slot and 8-in-1 Media Card Reader. Both of which take up physical room and I believe both require additional chips on the motherboard to communicate with the cpu.

I could be wrong, but I feel that room wasn't an issue, I think Apple truly believes FW to be a Pro feature, which soon will not even be needed on their pro computers.

Anyway, for those who are frustrated, I still hope they respond to Apple @ http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html
Just send a polite note that you feel the removal of FW was frustrating and any reasons why.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

While that seems like a significant difference in interior room, consider that the Dell comes with an Express Card slot and 8-in-1 Media Card Reader. Both of which take up physical room and I believe both require additional chips on the motherboard to communicate with the cpu.

I could be wrong, but I feel that room wasn't an issue, I think Apple truly believes FW to be a Pro feature, which soon will not even be needed on their pro computers.

Anyway, for those who are frustrated, I still hope they respond to Apple @ http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html
Just send a polite note that you feel the removal of FW was frustrating and any reasons why.
Actually it would be more accurate to say misuse of the space, since Dell and others can obviously do more with less.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa

Dell's first priority is to make a computer. Ive's first priority is to make art which the engineers scramble to put a computer in.

I don't think they'll be listening. I think Apple is far past the consideration of their customers requirements, especially with them making so much money now.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I don't think they'll be listening. I think Apple is far past the consideration of their customers requirements, especially with them making so much money now.

If they didn't make products that meet consumers requirements, no one would have bought anything from them.

ObaMaciden

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
Lack of FW/eSATA on MB/MBP last resort: ExpressCard/34?

I am so sick of this. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A USB TO FIRWIRE ADAPTER!

Yup, Slu couldn't be more right, for even if a USB/FW adapter would work, it can only be as slow as USB 2.0.

For the new MB, Apple has left users high and dry for fast connectivity. You have neither FW nor ExpressCard/34 to expand for FW 400~3200 or eSATA. That stinks!

If Apple continues to drop FW, eventually they might do it on MBP's as well. For USB 3.0 will catch on in about 18 months, and it looks like Apple is betting on USB 3.0 in order to stay mainstream instead of defending FW 400 ~ 3200, which is becoming a losing battle.

Let's hope that Apple has the good sense to either bring back the FW or make ExpressCard/34 a standard on all notebooks for a long time to come.

Attachments

• EC-0002B.jpg
    EC-0002B.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 243

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
They need to update this to say:
Almost any device that connects to a computer via USB, FireWire, audio cable, or Bluetooth will work with your Mac (except on our most popular consumer laptop model, lolol).
;)

BarcelonaApple

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
You can't have gigabit ethernet that way. That is a necessity for network backups.

Apple should ditch nothing. On the contrary, they should add all the stuff that is missing.

Their hardware is pathetic compared to PCs. Their only edge is FW800.
Because the PCs are stuck with more ports so that makes it pathetic, what about those who aren't in need of all those ports, if you need all those ports get a PC.

BarcelonaApple

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
While you are at it you can also ask for a serial port, 2 extra USBs and a VGA connector. I have a scanner that has a serial port which I use once every 5 months. Apple can clearly make a design change to accommodate my regular needs.

After all, windows machineries have more for less.
How about a floppy drive, I have a few of them lying around, Apple should cater to my needs, I'm a pro and need a 13 inch laptop, Apple is evil if they don't provide this, they are the new Microsoft.

BarcelonaApple

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Customer satisfaction is also a goal of most companies, and one that Apple used to give higher priority to.
So why then does Apple always have the highest satisfaction rates compared to the competition, after all they aren't listening to the customers.

ansj64

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
This is the most sober comment I have ever seen. Unlike somebody who likes to roll their eyes.

All I am saying is that the MBP or the older MB is the alternative is they really need firewire and that insisting on having FW in the new MB seems to me like someone wanting it because he needs to have the latest macbook, not the most useful one for his purposes.

For those that don't have an investment in Firewire or need/want the performance a Firewire port brings, the MacBook is the best built laptop on the market. When I picked one up in my hands, and looked at it closely, it is an amazing machine.

But if you do want Firewire (for whatever reason), that same MacBook seems limiting and incomplete.

Firewire wasn't going to win over the masses to buy a MacBook, but the lack of Firewire prevents sales to people who find it important.

ansj64

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
As described in a previous message, it's really a design issue. I forgot where the article came from but a non Apple Engineer has taken the Macbook apart and said that it's virtually impossible to add back the Firewire port. So cost is not really the driver of this but rather a design problem. (By that, I meant to add it back). Maybe the next iteration of the macbook will bring it back. But to add it back to the present design according to that article is virtually impossible.

And it's a shame because the cost of including FW in a $1299 laptop is negligible. I'm not an expert in technology, but I'm guessing the controller chips(re: southbridge, northbridge ?) already are capable of handling FW so it is a matter of adding traces on the motherboard, adding a FW chip and a port.

Again, I'm guessing, but I doubt it would cost $20.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
As described in a previous message, it's really a design issue. I forgot where the article came from but a non Apple Engineer has taken the Macbook apart and said that it's virtually impossible to add back the Firewire port. So cost is not really the driver of this but rather a design problem. (By that, I meant to add it back). Maybe the next iteration of the macbook will bring it back. But to add it back to the present design according to that article is virtually impossible.
I say that if the new design & arrangement of internal components makes it difficult and impractical, then it is simply a dumb design decision. Why would a designer lock himself in like that? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Any wise business leaves itself a way out, just in case things change.

ObaMaciden

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
MB downgraded and price went up!!

How about a floppy drive, I have a few of them lying around, Apple should cater to my needs, I'm a pro and need a 13 inch laptop, Apple is evil if they don't provide this, they are the new Microsoft.
Duh... hello!!! anybody home?
Your sarcastic analogy/argument would work if by getting rid of floppy and VGA Apple were "moving up a notch" as they now do without FW on MB, so to speak.

But removing the faster FW 800/400 prematurely and leaving file transfer option solely to USB 2.0 is really a major "downgrade", isn't that pretty clear?

Yes, USB 3.0 promises more tech advantageous when it comes out expectedly in 18 months. USB 3.0 is likely to hold speed superiority and get more points for being civilized than FW, but what about now? The MB's out are stuck with USB 2.0 forever!

Here is what the food chain might look like in 18 month:

USB 3.0 > FW3200/1600 > FW 800/400* > USB 2.0
(*USB 2.0 only theoretically is said to be faster than FW 400, but not in reality)

Yup, by offering only USB 2.0 on MB, Apple puts you at the bottom of the food chain in file transfer, period.

Fortunately I've always went for a notebook that at least has a ExpressCard/34 slot for expandability. But for that reason alone to move up from MB to MBP is outrageous and unjustifiably expensive.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
...Fortunately I've always went for a notebook that at least has a ExpressCard/34 slot for expandability. But for that reason alone to move up from MB to MBP is outrageous and unjustifiably expensive.
Especially when almost every other notebook on the planet has this as standard, even many netbooks. I have never understood how Apple thinks an ExpressCard slot (or previously PCMCIA/Cardbus) slot is in any way only for pros. Many current Windows laptops even have both ExpressCard and Cardbus slots.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
So why then does Apple always have the highest satisfaction rates compared to the competition, after all they aren't listening to the customers.

Because in the past, they earned it through rock solid innovative machines. But they've changed. Gone is the company who brought things like quick change bays on notebooks, the easy access G3/4 case, and firewire. Now its the company who shaves .13 in off the thickness and takes away the firewire to do it.

Because the PCs are stuck with more ports so that makes it pathetic, what about those who aren't in need of all those ports, if you need all those ports get a PC.

So, if you need a computer that works buy a PC? How things have changed.

BarcelonaApple

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Duh... hello!!! anybody home?
Your sarcastic analogy/argument would work if by getting rid of floppy and VGA Apple were "moving up a notch" as they now do without FW on MB, so to speak.

But removing the faster FW 800/400 prematurely and leaving file transfer option solely to USB 2.0 is really a major "downgrade", isn't that pretty clear?

Yes, USB 3.0 promises more tech advantageous when it comes out expectedly in 18 months. USB 3.0 is likely to hold speed superiority and get more points for being civilized than FW, but what about now? The MB's out are stuck with USB 2.0 forever!

Here is what the food chain might look like in 18 month:

USB 3.0 > FW3200/1600 > FW 800/400* > USB 2.0
(*USB 2.0 only theoretically is said to be faster than FW 400, but not in reality)

Yup, by offering only USB 2.0 on MB, Apple puts you at the bottom of the food chain in file transfer, period.

Fortunately I've always went for a notebook that at least has a ExpressCard/34 slot for expandability. But for that reason alone to move up from MB to MBP is outrageous and unjustifiably expensive.
Hey dude not everyone needs firewire, frankly I don't see what the big deal is, in fact I've never used firewire on a laptop but I use USB more often, in fact I think Apple should be adding more USB ports, maybe I'm the kind of buyer Apple is targeting.

BarcelonaApple

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Because in the past, they earned it through rock solid innovative machines. But they've changed. Gone is the company who brought things like quick change bays on notebooks, the easy access G3/4 case, and firewire. Now its the company who shaves .13 in off the thickness and takes away the firewire to do it.

So, if you need a computer that works buy a PC? How things have changed.

Look maybe I'm not like you guys, but I don't see the big deal about this, frankly I don't use most of the ports on my laptop. The only one I can say I use is USB, maybe I'm the kind of buyer Apple is targeting. If I need all those ports I can use my desktop, I just don't see a laptop as something that you should have all this stuff sticking from it. Maybe that's why my next computer will be an MBA, we are moving into a wireless world anyways, soon everything will be wireless.

BarcelonaApple

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Sadly yes, Apple are starting to turn into a toy company for USB Joe. :(
What's wrong with USB, it's more widely available than firewire and the average user knows more about it, reason why it was dropped from the firewire, frankly I can do without firewire and it seems that's the market is moving away from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.