Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Ok, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a conundrum.

I have been looking for a job for a while (the last few months) and about a month or so ago I had interviewed at a place that I liked well enough, but wasn't my dream job, but a pretty decent first job. In any case, last week I got a call and they offered me the job I interviewed for. They said they would call back with more information in a day or two so I had time to think and I verbally accepted when they called me (it's out of town a few hours so I couldn't go in) and we agreed on a tentative starting date.

Anyway, right before they called me I had interviewed at another company in the same area (unrelated fields btw). Company B i thought would be a MUCH better fit for me and a much better direction for me to go as far as where I want to be later, however I didn't expect much from the interview only because they had a lot other candidates, a lot that didn't require relocation etc.

Anyway, my start date at Company A is a bit over a week away, and today I got a call from Company B making me a job offer as well. They will be calling/sending more information and making a more formal offer in a day or so. Now, I know I have to be smart and wait for the formal stuff etc etc as to not lose two jobs...

However, my question is, how do I handle turning down or backing out of the offer that Company A has be set up for for the last week?

Note: I have NOT signed any papers nor seen them in person since the offer as they are a few hours away.

It's been about 1.5 weeks since the job offer and I know that was valuable time they will see as wasted, although I am aware that if I left after 2 months or something that would be even more wasted down the line.

I feel really bad doing it as they probably have put my name in their system etc, but Company B is a MUCH better fit for me and the direction I want to go in my career so it's really a no brainer that I take that job and leave the other one behind.

So... any suggestions from people in HR, small companies, people in this situation before.. etc etc. would be very very welcome

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Just call the employer asap and tell them that you can't go in.

"Hey this is [name]. I regret to inform you that I have gotten a call a few days ago about another job offer that would better fulfill my needs at this time. I thought about it for a little bit and I have decided to go with their offer. Thank you for your time and I apologize for the inconvenience."

If that doesn't do it, I dunno what will...

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
This is business. There are no feelings involved, so do not feel bad.

Simply tell them you have accepted a better offer and thank them for their previous offer.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
You've not signed anything, so you are well within your right to say to the first company: "Thankyou, but no thanks..." and go with your preferred choice. I did so too for my first job, got two great offers but preferred one over the other, and that one came after I verbally said yes.

Just remember, Company A would have no hard feelings or remorse in turning around and saying no to you, you should not have the other way around. Just be polite, courteous and above all thankfull when you speak to them.

Well done, and congratulations.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
ktbubster, I was in almost the same situation just more than a year ago, it's best to inform 'Company A' right away. I'd call and have a talk with the HR person or manager that you dealt with during the interview and explain that you appreciate the opportunity that they extended to you but you've received a position at another company that is closer to your career goals.

There might be some disappointment from whomever you talk to in 'Company A' but I'm sure they will appreciate as much notice as possible to call back other candidates.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Yes, defiantly call company A as soon as you can. They wont be mad at you. They will actually appreciate it.

Just make sure that company B is serious about hiring you. Is it a for sure thing? Are they hiring you for the job you applied for? Is it full time permanent work? make sure it's not just for some temporary project.

1990Mich

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
lucky you, at least you have an job offer to turn down..i'm still looking for a job...:(

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This is business. There are no feelings involved, so do not feel bad.

Simply tell them you have accepted a better offer and thank them for their previous offer.

Agreed. I would also add that you believe the other company would be a better fit with your long term goals.

Congrats on your 2 job offers!

Divasoul

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Turning down a signed offer after accepting it

I was looking for a job, and company A gave me a job offer and I accepted it. Two days later I got a call from a company B for which I interviewed two months back but I didn't hear anything back so I thought that I didn't get it. They gave me a better offer and it's exactly for what I was looking for s/w sales exec but the other Company i.e. company A is a technical consulting firm and it's an entry level position. So now if i compare company A and company B , Comapny B is giving me a better position, a better salary but its bit far 15 miles more to drive as compared to other company A.
What & how should i tell company A that i have accepted a better offer :( i don't want to ruin my name in the industry..I really don't know how it will effect my career?? please help

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just call the employer asap and tell them that you can't go in.

"Hey this is [name]. I regret to inform you that I have gotten a call a few days ago about another job offer that would better fulfill my needs at this time. I thought about it for a little bit and I have decided to go with their offer. Thank you for your time and I apologize for the inconvenience."

If that doesn't do it, I dunno what will...

This sounds pretty good to me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was looking for a job, and company A gave me a job offer and I accepted it. Two days later I got a call from a company B for which I interviewed two months back but I didn't hear anything back so I thought that I didn't get it. They gave me a better offer and it's exactly for what I was looking for s/w sales exec but the other Company i.e. company A is a technical consulting firm and it's an entry level position. So now if i compare company A and company B , Comapny B is giving me a better position, a better salary but its bit far 15 miles more to drive as compared to other company A.
What & how should i tell company A that i have accepted a better offer :( i don't want to ruin my name in the industry..I really don't know how it will effect my career?? please help

Like others have said, it's better to tell a company before you start that you have had a better offer elsewhere. Otherwise they will waste time and resources training you and stuff. And who knows the first company may make a better counter offer!
Just always be thankful and state the reasons the other offer is a better choice for you. It's business not choosing which friend to sit by in school. They won't take it personally.

dauber

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
If that job you don't want is in Chicago, let ME take it off your hands -- been laid off since August. :)

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Can I ask what type of jobs these are? What field are they in. Not that it matters since you've made your decision, I'm just curious.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Explain company B you are interested in working with them but you got a call from another company and that you would like company B to confirm you ASAP because of the circumstances because you would have to call company A to turn them down and you do not want to waste company A time. It is a gentleman thing to do.

I am sure company B will like your honesty and the way you are resolving the situation in a polite manner and that tells good things about you.

Then, call company A and tell them. People, I got another offer from another company and I am calling you to let you know so you can make the arrangement. I am calling you because I know your time is valuable and I am flattered you gave me the offer.

Or say anything that makes them feel you for real appreciate you being chose, so in the future you can contact them again and they know you are a gentleman.

That is it.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Had this same thing happen to me, but a big different.

Two jobs called, I took Job B instead of A, and went to work for them. It turned out to be a bad decision aftering being there 3-6 months and applied for the other company again since they had a position open. They never acknowledged that I submitted it like the first time so I called. They said they have me down in the system as not hireable because of me turning them down after already accepting.

So I had to deal with that other job for a long time and now 6 years later, landed in a much better company. But either way, it can hurt you too.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
You think company A OR B has any problem sending you a "sorry we decided to proceed with other candidates" letter? Its the same deal except now you hold the letter.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Companies have no feelings. They'll find a way to manage without you.

Exactly. If the shoe were on the other foot they would have no problem telling you thanks but no thanks. Give them the courtesy of a call then get on with your life and don't look back.

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.