Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Husker41082

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Hello all, new to the forums here but have been keeping tabs on the iPhone 3g since it's release. Finally am within days away from pulling the trigger and picking one up. My question that I've had a hard time find an answer to is this.

I'm planning on going on my honeymoon to Jamaica in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I take the sim card out of the iPhone if it will work basically just like and iPod Touch. Have heard of to many horror stories about International roaming rates and data charges. Basically want to use my iPhone on the plane down there and back. Obviously won't need it while I'm down there because I'll have plenty to do.

Thanks in advance and hopefully i'll be a regular contributor soon :)

Husker41082

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Ok, so airplane mode, the only thing that worries me is if somehow that gets turned off then my phone will be using a bunch of data without me realizing it. Unless, correct me if I'm wrong, I am under the assumption there is no way to completly turn off the iphone, just sleep mode.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Change the APN in your settings to one that doesn't exist. If you do that there is no way it can access data from a network that doesn't exist. Make sure you note those settings for when you want to connect again.

SektorSan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
u can leave the sim card in, just put it in airplane mode. jus a wifi ipod then

I'm from egypt, and have a friend who lives in USA and has a plan with AT&T..He is telling me that the new iphone 3G doesn't have a place to put a sim card inside, and he is coming to egypt soon and wondering if it can work in egypt as it is offered here by Vodafone, so any clue?..Does the new iphone really doesn't have a place for a sim card?..cuz as for my knowledge it can't work here in egypt except with a sim card and a plan from vodafone...or can he use it in egypt with a plan from vodafone and then when he returns back to the US he uses his AT&T plan??

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
^^^^

I have no idea about using different international plans, but I can tell you that iPhone has a sim card, see picture for its location.

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.