Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I love being able to watch my fav tv series on my iphone but i object to the prices most of them are. Considering its usually cheaper to buy the actual dvds which come with extras, its very offputting.

Can i upload the dvds onto my imac & transfer them to my iphone???

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You can rip them using HandBrake. I find it's much easier and less time consuming to just by the shows on iTunes. I was going to rip all nine seasons of the X-Files DVDs but it took entirely too much time just to do three seasons that I gave up and bought all nine seasons on iTunes. I also like the quality better on iTunes. I just couldn't get it right through Handbrake. There would be these jagged edges all the time on things and it just bothered me when watching on the computer. I don't get jagged edges with iTunes store bought videos ripped for iPhone.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I would love to buy many series thru itunes but the price puts me off. For you to buy all seasons of the x files, i guess money isnt an issue to you.

seill

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
that's the copyright

You can rip them using HandBrake. I find it's much easier and less time consuming to just by the shows on iTunes. I was going to rip all nine seasons of the X-Files DVDs but it took entirely too much time just to do three seasons that I gave up and bought all nine seasons on iTunes. I also like the quality better on iTunes. I just couldn't get it right through Handbrake. There would be these jagged edges all the time on things and it just bothered me when watching on the computer. I don't get jagged edges with iTunes store bought videos ripped for iPhone.

ouff, how much did that cost you?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory

Then you were not using Handbrake correctly.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
iTunes business model works by allowing people to buy single songs/shows etc. for a good price. Before iTunes you had to buy an album on CD, or pay an excessive amount for a single, they scored landmark rights from the music industries for this when they started iTMS. However they do not provide discounts or price cuts when buying an album or a series (for the most part). Unfortunately thats just how it is. You use iTunes if you want single songs/shows, and you buy CD's/DVD's, and rip them if you want albums/series.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
iTunes business model works by allowing people to buy single songs/shows etc. for a good price. Before iTunes you had to buy an album on CD, or pay an excessive amount for a single, they scored landmark rights from the music industries for this when they started iTMS. However they do not provide discounts or price cuts when buying an album or a series (for the most part). Unfortunately thats just how it is. You use iTunes if you want single songs/shows, and you buy CD's/DVD's, and rip them if you want albums/series.

Please tell me how you do it. Have you succesfully transferred it to your iphone?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Another vote for Handbrake here. I've ripped most my DVD library, and parts of my friends.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

I haven't bought a CD since Alanis Morrisette's Jagges Lil Pil came out in the 90s. In the late 90s there was Napster. When that went away there was iTUnes. I prefer to buy all my whole CDs there because I hate having a physical copy of anything, DVDs included. I hate having to put a CD/DVD back in a case after I am done playing it. I have stacks of CDs that I burned sitting in a cabinet all with no cases because I have no idea what to do with them. That's also why I have an iPod, to not have to worry about buying another CD again.

That is also why the iTunes model succeeds, people don't like buying CDS as much anymore because they don't have to and it's more convenient.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I was using the iPhone preset. How was that not using it properly?

If you got jagged edges you probably need to turn on deinterlacing options.

Also the best way to use Handbrake is to use it for encoding only.

Use MacTheRipper to rip all of your discs, then with Handbrake you can queue up everything so it encodes while you sleep or go to work.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I wish it was cheaper too. I would like to just use iTunes and skip using DVDs and Handbrake. The price needs to be better or even possibly subscription based.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

Use MacTheRipper to rip all of your discs, then with Handbrake you can queue up everything so it encodes while you sleep or go to work.

Well I don't plan on ever buying DVDs again, it's why there is iTunes.

I wish it was cheaper too. I would like to just use iTunes and skip using DVDs and Handbrake. The price needs to be better or even possibly subscription based.
Many times, it is cheaper on iTunes to buy the whole season than it is to buy the season DVDs at the store. Way back when each X-Files season first came out, each box set was about $99. I bought the first five seasons that way, then gave up because they were too expensive. Later, the seasons were released without all the fancy cases and no extras for $35 a season. I then bought seasons 6-9 that way to complete the series. Now, the X-files is selling for $25 a season on iTunes, $10 cheaper than the DVD box sets at the stores.

Seasons are only expensive on iTunes if you buy the HD versions.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.

I'd like cake to be cheaper. It's not so I buy bread and coat it in sugar. That's economics.

If you want itunes to have cheaper / different prices don't buy from them.

(By the way I do buy cake really- that whole sugar thing was a lie. :eek:)

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland

So you would recommend using this mactheripper rather than relying only on Handbrake??

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
While I love using Handbrake, I've found myself just buying seasons from iTunes instead of waiting for the DVD sets to appear. This allows me to enjoy instant gratification, and saves me from the time spent encoding and tagging (gathering info from various sources, I like my tagging to be as complete as possible).

Definitely. Mac the Ripper is far better than Handbrake and easier to use.
I guess, but they also serve very different purposes. One rips MPEG2 from the DVD to your hard drive, the other encodes to MPEG4.

Handbrake isn't that hard to use... open the source (preferably pre-ripped to your hard drive), click on the appropriate preset (the new Universal is probably OK for the majority of people out there), and click encode.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
For me I'd say £10 (£15) and £20 (£25) would be a good price structure for shows, with the price is brackets being new releases. Which priced is used depends on the amount of episodes in the season.

As much as I prefer having a digital library I honestly don't have any interest is buying films as long as they do not come with all the feature on the DVD (extras and commentaries.) Paying a near DVD price for just a film is ridiculous; worse if the DVD is cheaper.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
I guess, but they also serve very different purposes. One rips MPEG2 from the DVD to your hard drive, the other encodes to MPEG4.

Handbrake isn't that hard to use... open the source (preferably pre-ripped to your hard drive), click on the appropriate preset (the new Universal is probably OK for the majority of people out there), and click encode.
What's the difference between using MacTheRipper and just dragging all the source files from the DVD itself? :confused: I just ripped Fight Club using MacTheRipper and all the files seem to be the same as those on the DVD, so why use MacTheRipper to begin with?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
It seems to me, in most cases buy the actual DVD's are cheaper than buying from iTunes. I like when iTunes does the deals on shows, sometimes making episodes $.99, I've gotten a few new shows that way.

I like to have the DVD's but then also rip them to my computer for quick watching. I like extras such as commentaries and behind the scenes stuff, and that doesn't come with the iTunes files.

There is one case where it was much cheaper for me to buy the shows on iTunes rather than buying the DVD's, and that was the Cosmos series by Carl Sagan. It seems like that series is easily over $70 most places on DVD, but it only cost about $25 on iTunes.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
What's the difference between using MacTheRipper and just dragging all the source files from the DVD itself? :confused: I just ripped Fight Club using MacTheRipper and all the files seem to be the same as those on the DVD, so why use MacTheRipper to begin with?
The files are the same, minus any encryption/protection.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I agree with many of the users. I buy the seasons box sets (mostly Family Guy and Simpsons) when they're on sale, I pay no more than $20 per, as of late $15 for FG and got the Simpsons for $13. Then I just use handbrake to rip to itunes for my iPod to view on the go. I don't care to buy from iTunes b/c I don't ever watch movies/TV via my computer so I use the physical dvd to view on a TV.

I rip directly from Handbrake to iTunes and had no issues with it, but whatever works for you. I find this the best option for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.