Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Ok, I recently upgraded my PowerMac G4 to Leopard. It is the Graphite Model, except with a 1.4 GHz processor upgrade and 1.38 GB of RAM.

In Tiger, I could use coverflow just fine in iTunes. Even fairly fast. Leopard is letting me use coverflow in Finder, but not iTunes.

So, what's going on?

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
open up iTunes and press :apple:+shift+3 and then post the screenshot , maybe I can help you from there.

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
How about :apple:+Shift+4 Space?
iTunes.png

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Hmmm.. a few more questions

1) What kind of Graphics card to you have?

2) have you tried reinstalling iTunes or downloaded a new version?

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Hmmm.. a few more questions

1) What kind of Graphics card to you have?

2) have you tried reinstalling iTunes or downloaded a new version?

It still has it's original ATI Rage Pro 128 with 16 MB of VRAM, which I expected was the problem, except for the fact that I can do this:
Coverflow.png

at full speed.

Answer to number 2, no I haven't tried reinstalling, however, I upgraded to iTunes 8 along with Mac OS X 10.5.6 yesterday.

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
I do believe that leopard has no problem with coverflow in finder with that gfx card even if it is sluggish, but iTunes may be a different story. The ATI Rage cards might not meet the requirements for the newest version of iTunes. Try using and older version of iTunes

http://mac.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I do believe that leopard has no problem with coverflow in finder with that gfx card even if it is sluggish, but iTunes may be a different story. The ATI Rage cards might not meet the requirements for the newest version of iTunes. Try using and older version of iTunes

Well, that's just it. I was running iTunes 8 with coverflow perfectly fine on Tiger, only after I upgraded did I start to see a bit of problem.

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
I kinda feel bad I am the only one helping you. I am trying my best.

I would do a direct download from the apple website of iTunes. Sometimes getting updates from the automatic updater can be problematic. It that does not help, I am out of ideas other than buying a little bit better graphic card:(

also this may be a new bug in version 10.5.6 of Leopard

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I kinda feel bad I am the only one helping you. I am trying my best.

I would do a direct download from the apple website of iTunes. Sometimes getting updates from the automatic updater can be problematic. It that does not help, I am out of ideas other than buying a little bit better graphic card:(

also this may be a new bug in version 10.5.6 of Leopard

I did try downloading straight from Apple just a few minutes ago.

Oh, I would love to get a new video card, but I don't know if it would be compatible.

Obviously, I would need one with Mac firmware, however, the video card I have has been flashed by some Sonnett utility whenever the processor upgrade was put in, so yea, I'm not 100% sure how to do that.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I did the update today as well, and mine is doing the exact same thing.

I'm on a hackintosh, though. Figured that might be the problem. If you're on a Mac, and having the same problem...

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I did the update today as well, and mine is doing the exact same thing.

I'm on a hackintosh, though. Figured that might be the problem. If you're on a Mac, and having the same problem...

There are variables for that.
What is your video card (especially VRAM)
What is your Processor?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just throwing a random idea out there, but does iTunes still recognize that the cover art is there? I mean, does it show it to you in "Get Info" or in the lower left cover art pane?

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Just throwing a random idea out there, but does iTunes still recognize that the cover art is there? I mean, does it show it to you in "Get Info" or in the lower left cover art pane?
Well, it never did recognize most of it because most of it wasn't there, however, the ones that were are still there in grid mode.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
There are variables for that.
What is your video card (especially VRAM)
What is your Processor?

Intel Integrated 64mb VRAM, on a 1.6 Duo-Core.

Every album still has it's cover art (I'm kind of anal about it), it shows in grid, and the preview, on the iPod, and iPhone. Just not in iTunes Coverflow.

kanihoncho

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Cover flow and ATI cards

I also recently upgraded to iTunes 8.02 and 10.5.6. Coverflow used to work fine prior to the upgrade.

I have an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro card and have researched the problem online. It seems with iTunes 7 PC users had a lot of problems with hardware acceleration. Apple discussion has been useless so far.

I'm beginning to think it's the video card. Not the card really but apple's coding for itunes and how it interfaces with the video cards. Just my theory . . .

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm beginning to think it's the video card. Not the card really but apple's coding for itunes and how it interfaces with the video cards. Just my theory . . .

So from your research, does everyone who has that ATI card find that they can't get coverflow, or just some people (which would suggest some changeable intervening factor)? It seems odd that Apple would be selling a card that would miss a fairly heavily advertised feature of iLife and just ignore it.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
I had this problem a while back. It has nothing to do with the video card. It has EVERY thing to do with the itunes folder.

I had to delete iTunes and reinstall it. Then, from a back up copy, reimport it to get the covers back. Some how, I had trashed the original one through iTunes "Get Album Art Work" it changed things and then the screensaver quit working. After reinstalling it, and using the back up, all is working again.

If you look at your own snapshot, it gives you the answer. iTunes is unable to browse.. Which means it can't FIND the covers.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    651.1 KB · Views: 106

Xilmwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Intel Integrated 64mb VRAM, on a 1.6 Duo-Core.

Every album still has it's cover art (I'm kind of anal about it), it shows in grid, and the preview, on the iPod, and iPhone. Just not in iTunes Coverflow.

Oh, Core 2 Duo. You should be completely fine. That's like a Mac without Apple EFI.

I had this problem a while back. It has nothing to do with the video card. It has EVERY thing to do with the itunes folder.

I had to delete iTunes and reinstall it. Then, from a back up copy, reimport it to get the covers back. Some how, I had trashed the original one through iTunes "Get Album Art Work" it changed things and then the screensaver quit working. After reinstalling it, and using the back up, all is working again.

If you look at your own snapshot, it gives you the answer. iTunes is unable to browse.. Which means it can't FIND the covers.

Yes, but can you use Coverflow? Here's mine in Grid:
grid.png

See, that's just it. Here's a picture of dad's PowerMac G4. Same specs, except 450 MHz with....I dunna, but less than 1GB of RAM doing Coverflow in iTunes.
samething.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.