Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donmash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Michigan
I got my son an Ipod touch, the second in the family. I have a running wifi network in my house.

When I tried to set up my son's touch up everything works except there is no icon to show the wifi status and will not recognize any network. I have scoured the internet but only see wifi connectivity issues. When you try to put in the WEP password and network it doesn't recognize anything, no networks show under the "choose a network..." line.

I have reset the ipod, I have tried dozens of times to get the network installed, but I think it boils down to the fact that it doesn't seem to have wifi at all. I don't see anyway to test the wifi or to turn it on other than through the Settings of the wifi under settings. My daughters is working perfectly.

Anyone???

Thanks in advance.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
That's very strange.
I've sometimes experienced this with my iPod.
I just recommend going to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store to see if they can help you.
Maybe the iPod needs to be restored.

donmash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Michigan
That's very strange.
I've sometimes experienced this with my iPod.
I just recommend going to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store to see if they can help you.
Maybe the iPod needs to be restored.

Well I just got off the phone with Apple support and back it goes. I have restored the ipod, reset it. Nothing. Appears to be a problem with the antenna and its receiving ability. Everything else works. Now my son gets to learn about repair and will have to wait another 2 weeks before he can get to use the ipod.

Thanks,

donmash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Michigan
did you enable your ipod touch mac address inside your internet modem?

Not sure what you mean? Please explain. This ipod does not see any network no matter where you go. If the antenna was working whether or not it was enabled shouldn't it at least see the network.

I would be happy to try what you suggest, please elaborate for me.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Not sure what you mean? Please explain. This ipod does not see any network no matter where you go. If the antenna was working whether or not it was enabled shouldn't it at least see the network.

I would be happy to try what you suggest, please elaborate for me.

On your router - are you using MAC address filtering? Or not broadcasting the SSID? Those might hinder getting online and seeing the network. I'm pretty sure that is what he was trying to say.

I have wireless - and your ipt wouldn't see it when you walked in because i'm using both security features on my network.

ALTHOUGH, if you are typing the WEP it should then pop-up - unless you are using the MAC address filtering.

On one hand - maybe i'm glad Santa didn't drop off a new toy here, i'd be living the network "mess" and well, really, gee, i have too much stuff i HAVE to get done this week! LOL!!

Good luck - if it has to go back here is hoping that it really doesn't take 2 weeks. Any chance you can drive to an Apple store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.