Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HalleluYAH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
I use Mac Tiger 10.4.11 When I download .Zip files, they are automatically unzipped by whichever program I have set as my default "(de)compression-program" on Mac.

Please tell me what I should do to stop my .Zip files from automatically being unzipped immediately after I download them.

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
You are using Safari?

Safari > preferences > General > uncheck "Open safe files after downloading"

HalleluYAH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
How to stop Mac from automatically unzipping files?

I've been using Firefox only for downloading .Zip files. Do anyone of you know how to stop it from automatically unzipping files?

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
In Firefox preferences, under Applications, find the file type (PC ZIP?) and click it and set up the option to just dowload the file, or ask you what to do.

HalleluYAH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
In Firefox preferences, under Applications, find the file type (PC ZIP?) and click it and set up the option to just dowload the file, or ask you what to do.
".ZIP" isn't listed (I scrolled down the "Applications-window"). So what is causing my Mac to automatically Unzip files without my permission?

Screenshot shows that ".Zip" is not listed in that "Applications-window":

2vijuyo.png

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
For me, PC Zip is listed one item up from your screen shot, directly above PICT Picture. I also have Stuffit Archive.

viennashade

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
".ZIP" isn't listed (I scrolled down the "Applications-window"). So what is causing my Mac to automatically Unzip files without my permission?

Screenshot shows that ".Zip" is not listed in that "Applications-window":

2vijuyo.png

I had this problem and I too did not have zip in my list. But finally we figured out that the solution was right there in the dialog that pops up when you go to download a file! Just got new OS installed and that was set at "Open" as the default. (This is Yosemite 10.10.5 but this dialog box has always been there in the previous versions too.) Guess I just never paid any attention to that before because it must not have been set at "Open." So you can check "Do this automatically for files like this from now on." to have it stop asking you, or "Save File," to have it at least keep that as the default box checked from now on. (Or, if you don't get this window, you'll have to first change your Firefox preferences for downloads, temporarily.)

downloads dialog.png

I'm sure you have gotten a resolution by now, or are no longer following this thread, but just thought I'd add that for the next person who happens along.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-19_3-33-43.png
    upload_2015-11-19_3-33-43.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 594
  • upload_2015-11-19_3-33-51.png
    upload_2015-11-19_3-33-51.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 592
Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.