Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxtpenguin

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
TX
I would second looking at Crossover. It keeps you from having to purchase a copy of Windows to install in a virtual machine.

MiniHelp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
In theory, yes

I would second looking at Crossover. It keeps you from having to purchase a copy of Windows to install in a virtual machine.

True, CrossOver works on many applications, but not all. It can't run everything, and in my experience, it ran none at all of the things i wanted. So, if there is anything else, post that instead.

HairaideUshima

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
RE:Crossover

True, CrossOver works on many applications, but not all. It can't run everything, and in my experience, it ran none at all of the things i wanted. So, if there is anything else, post that instead.

I love crossover but, i was working fine. Then i opened it then later it kept saying shutting down and it will quit of the blue moon. Everytime i open it. Can anyone help?! please really appreiciate it thnxs a bunch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your options are limited to the following
emulation:
wine/crossover

Virtualization:
Parallels/VMware/Virtualbox

Native windows
BootCamp

The latter two require a copy of windows, while wine/crossover does not. Performance of wine/crossover is the worst of the three types. Games and such are best suited for bootcamp. Not all apps run under wine/crossover but most do under vmware (other then some games)

JasonGough

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Manchester, UK
CrossOver looks pretty sweet!

I don't have much interest in running MS Office thanks to iWork, but i would be interested in running Windows Live Messenger to video chat with non iChat buddies.

It's not listed as 'officially supported' - does anyone here have experience with this?

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Your options are limited to the following
emulation:
wine/crossover

Virtualization:
Parallels/VMware/Virtualbox

Native windows
BootCamp

The latter two require a copy of windows, while wine/crossover does not. Performance of wine/crossover is the worst of the three types. Games and such are best suited for bootcamp. Not all apps run under wine/crossover but most do under vmware (other then some games)

First off, Wine =/= Emulator. WINE actually stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator. Its is wrapper that converts Window API calls to *nix calls. If anything, its an interpreter.

Second off, WINE and Crossover Games are no where near the worst in performance. It all depends on what you are using them for. Try running Guild Wars on High in a VM and in Crossover and tell me which is worse. WINE/Crossover use native hardware, not virtual, to power the apps it runs, so it is much more powerful then a VM. The only issues with WINE/Crossover are compatibility issues hence why there is an application compatibility database on both CodeWeaver's and WINE's sites. I have tried a few games not even listed on Crossover's site and they worked fine (Example: With a little tweaking, I was able to get Megaten Online: Imagine working almost 100% in Crossover Games when it first came out, months before CodeWeaver added it to their compatibility listings).

Anyway, I agree that Crossover (costs money but has better support then WINE) is your best bet for getting Windows Binaries running on an Intel Mac. It all depends on what apps you are going to use though. I use Crossover Games for a few games I play randomly (Guild Wars, Megaten Imagine, Steam) and a Win7 VM for any non-graphic-intense apps and games that will not run in Crossover (Indie Windows Games, Homebrew tools for DS and PSP, etc.)

Depending on what you are trying to run DOSBox might be something to consider. I haven't tested it fully yet (but plan to so I can play some Decent 2; Can't find Mac PPC version anywhere), but I have heard good things about it. Heck, even read somewhere (think it was here) that someone got Windows 3.1 to run it.

I don't have much interest in running MS Office thanks to iWork, but i would be interested in running Windows Live Messenger to video chat with non iChat buddies.

It's not listed as 'officially supported' - does anyone here have experience with this?

Live Messenger is listed on CodeWeaver's compatibility database and WINE's AppDB as a Bronze and Silver grade app (depending on version).

BTW, If an application is not listed in CodeWeaver's compatibility database, check out WINE's. Since Crossover is just a professorially tweaked version of WINE, any apps that run in WINE should run in CrossOver. Also, any tips to make said app work in WINE should also work in CrossOver.

I love crossover but, i was working fine. Then i opened it then later it kept saying shutting down and it will quit of the blue moon. Everytime i open it. Can anyone help?! please really appreiciate it thnxs a bunch.

Have you upgraded to the newest version of CrossOver? I had a similar issue that was fixed after upgrading. Also, would email CodeWeaver about it. They provide free tech support for CrossOver users.

quactaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
Crossover is fantastic for those small one off utilities that you sometmes need to run (i.e. standalone exe files); you can literally double click and run it like in windows.

Its a bit more iffy for bigger programs with dependencies, and despite what people say about crossover games, its still nowhere near as good due to driver support, but its still a faster option than virtualising/boot camp.

cpoticha

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Crossover dissappointing

I can't figure out how to make Crossover work. There's virtually no documentation with the trial version, and as I know nothing of PCs don't know a C:/ drive from a hole in the ground.

I'm just trying to run some sync software that's only available for PC (Windows). My Android phone can't upgrade unless I use this sync program, and it's PC-only. When I try to run/install the software (I don't know which, since all I have is an opaque .EXE file), Crossover does...nothing. When I try to set up a 'bottle' I have no idea if it's successfully done anything.

:confused:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Huh? There's a native Microsoft Office version for Mac OS X and there also is a native Microsoft Messenger for Mac OS X...

Check this out: http://www.microsoft.com/mactopia

Besides, the best IM for Mac OS X still is Adium: http://adium.im/
And yes, it's compatible with Microsoft Messenger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.