Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiggins1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I would like to implement an Mac OS X Server (Xserve) to handle remote VPN clients (including iPhones, if that is possible) and to also act as a Proxy server for internal clients.

Is there a commercial version of proxy software that will work for the newest edition of Mac OSX Server? I have heard people mention the open-source Squid--does it work on the newest OS? Is it a nightmare to configure (after trying to get Open WebMail running on an Ubuntu box I wanted to jump out a window).

kamochan

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Since you mention squid, I presume that you specifically need a http proxy. (You can proxy other stuff, too, so just saying "proxy" is ambiguous :)

The Apache server bundled with OS X Server has a proxy mode. In Server Admin, select Web -> Settings -> Proxy, check "Enable Forward Proxy", hit Save - and you're done. (You probably also need to restart the Web service.)

If you want to use squid instead, google "squid os x". There is a standalone installer, instructions on how to install it via MacPorts, and more.

chiggins1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Does the Apache server come basically "up and running" in the Mac OSX Server? Or do I need to do extensive configuration (unpacking, making, configuring, etc.)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.