Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
MBP vs. MB

I've been holding off buying a new MacBook Pro until WWDC, and if this is true, the lack of a Firewire port has now become the one single reason I would consider a MBP instead of the MB. :confused:

pip11

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
2.4GHz Aluminum, bought in December 2008.

2008, Week 45
9C8C
EDID: B133EW04 V0 (which is AUO)

aussiemarks

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
South England
Hi, im new to this forum, well as you may have guessed <--- :D

But i thought i would join in on all this. I will post some pictures soon with the new screen. I have:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009A5
Manufacture Date: C3B1A800

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Can somebody do some side-by-side comparison MB vs MBP as far as viewing angle is concerned?

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Having gone through 4 of the newer MBAs with issues like this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/703534/ , I'd add a pound in weight anyday if the screen viewing angles are as good as the original MBA. :eek:

That would make this uMB 9CA5 the best value notebook on the market if the screens are as good as they seem to be.

inxlee

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
on my 2.4GHz unibody macbook

9C89
LG Philips
LP133WX2-TLC1

supposedly a bad screen but looks damn fine to me.

ramlax13

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Just got my macbook yesterday, sent to me from my college. 9CA7 screen looks pretty incredible right out of the box, side by side with my girlfriends MBP I can't tell the difference. I haven't looked at what screen she has though.

reeveah

Suspended
Oct 23, 2008
9c8c

Using the 9C8C and Manufacture date is C3C41D00.

The serial number is 00000000, so what does it mean?

thisday

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
In the side-by-side shots the "newer" 9CA5 is on the left whereas the 9C89 is on the right.

Going top-left to bottom-right, the solo shots are the 9CA5 first, then the 9C89
Hope these shots help as a basic comparison.

Thanks for the info. You confuzed me though. As i look them here
attachment.php

the right one has better colours.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
If they're still 6-bit panels, does it really matter?

Apple needs to suck it up and provide good displays in all models. If we're paying a price premium, we ought to get better than "cheap 6-bit TN crap."

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Yea I posted those comparison shots and its funny how my pic is used in some guys blog, never had that happen before lol.

Yea sorry for the poor picture quality I have some crappy Canon A520 from a few years ago. I've been real busy lately so haven't checked this thread but I'll try to take some more comparison shots between my newer uMB 2.4 with the 9CA5 screen and my older uMB 2.0 with the 9C89 screen.

I'm no expert at screen quality so I can't say which one has "better looking colors" but some posters after viewing my pics say the 9C89 is better for colors (the 9C89 is on the right in all the pics). I do know that the 9CA5 has much deeper blacks though so when I watch movies with many dark scenes it looks great versus the washed out "Grey color" on the 9C89. When the screen is black I can't really tell where the screen borders with the black border on the LCD screen so I guess that's good. My uMB 2.4 came with a tiny nick on one of the corners of the LCD lid and the back hinges aren't even (one side has a bigger gap than the other) but I'm quite happy with the 9CA5 screen so I figured I'd just keep this unit despite its 2 minor cosmetic issues for fear of playing the "LCD panel lottery" and swapping it out for another unit with potentially a different model screen).

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
By the way SPEEDwithJJ. did you end up getting another unibody Macbook after you sold your older one with the 9C89 screen? If so, what screen did you get on your new unit? :cool:

kloan

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
So, with all of these new panels being discovered.... I'm sure all of us MBA owners are dying to know:

Any lines?

If they're FINALLY using panels without those frickin lines already.. I'll take my v2 MBA in for a screen replacement. Been waiting patiently for them to get their act together.

Also curious about hot spots, shadows/inconsistent backlighting, etc...

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Isn't it funny that everyone write about better panels but no one actually can prove it? The problem was terrible viewing angle, not colors. The only difference I see in the photo above is difference color calibration, that's it. Can somebody please go to the AppleStore and make some photos from different angles?

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
I don't get all these comments about viewing angles. I must be the only person in the world who views their MacBook head-on. :confused:

The problem is that if you change the angle even slightly color changes dramatically. I don't want to adjust my monitor constantly to match my position.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
So, can anybody with new MB screen make few photos/video from different viewing angles?

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I am curious about those that say they bought them recently but have the 9C89, did you buy it directly from Apple Online or from the retail channel?

Having just returned my 17" MBP because it was just too big for casual use, I see a new uMB in my near future. Having used its gorgeous screen it really makes a mockery of my late 06 MacBook. Far too dark, uneven lighting and lastly far too yellow.

Now will they update the line at / or soon after WWDC?

jhch50

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I wonder what type of display are in the new aluminum 13" macbook pros. Is anyone live close to an apple store that can check?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I wonder what type of display are in the new aluminum 13" macbook pros. Is anyone live close to an apple store that can check?

Probably the same ones they put in the 13" MB last month. 9CA5/6/7/8, with 5 and 8 being the best I believe.

iKatianarie

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
Probably the same ones they put in the 13" MB last month. 9CA5/6/7/8, with 5 and 8 being the best I believe.

actually yeah. When I went to best buy (the first vendor I wanted to buy my macbook from), they still had the 9C89 on display, and I thought it looked OKAY. But then Apple came back with the back to school sale, and I decided to buy from my local apple store. I checked the display's screen model, and it was 9CA5, and it was SOOO much better than the 9C89. I was actually lucky enough to get that one when I bought mine. My cousin has the 9CA6, which is still pretty good, but mine def. has richer colors :p

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
I'm dying to find out what displays they are using on the new 13" MacBook Pros. Anyone find a site that posted hands on pics with the new computers? Usually Gizmodo and Engadget do but they are lagging. I really want to see a review of these, or at least some initial impressions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.