Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhsu21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
If I use "Erase All Settings" and/or "Reset All Settings" on my Iphone, will that erase everything on the Iphone except the basic apps?

Will I lose my unlock and jailbreak?

I want to give my Iphone to my girlfriend but want to clean it up a bit.

Thanks for your help.

iPhoneKiller

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Yes, After erasing all content and settings it will force your phone into recovery mode. The phone must be plugged into iTunes and restored.

You will want to restore to an older IPSW file like 2.1 etc.

After you do that you should be able to put the jail breaking software back on and reinstall all of your applications.

I do not recommend resetting all content and settings because it can take a long to do. Sometimes multiple hours.

You will not lose your unlock, but you will lose the jailbreak software because you are restoring the software back to factory settings.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I was thinking about doing "erase all content & settings" prior to installing OS 3.0 and then JB it. I know it takes a long time, but I can have it run overnight and do the "fresh" install and JB next morning. Main reason is that my JB iPhone 3G is a bit laggy after the JB. This should remove all including hiden files from JB, right?

Your thoughts?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
I have a question. After "Erase all content and settings" is hit, can the phone be brought back to normal? Or is it impossible to access the phone and it's content? This all before the process completes.

Anyone know??

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
I was thinking about doing "erase all content & settings" prior to installing OS 3.0 and then JB it. I know it takes a long time, but I can have it run overnight and do the "fresh" install and JB next morning. Main reason is that my JB iPhone 3G is a bit laggy after the JB. This should remove all including hiden files from JB, right?

Your thoughts?
As far as I know, yes. I did that before going to 3.0, and the phone wouldn't even start after erasing. You have to restore. My iTunes wouldn't even recognize the phone and I had to put it into DFU mode first. Just select 3.0 to restore it to, then JB.

I have a question. After "Erase all content and settings" is hit, can the phone be brought back to normal? Or is it impossible to access the phone and it's content? This all before the process completes.

Anyone know??

Once you select erase, it asks you a couple of times if you really want to. When you say yes to that, you get a black screen with an Apple logo and a progress bar and no way to stop the process, as far as I could tell.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I know this is an old thread but im concerned.

My ipod (wrong forum, i know) keeps restarting over and over with the apple logo and that white little loading circle under it. Its been happening for about 30 minutes. Is this supposed to be happening? Its been running for a little over 2 hours total.

mafr22

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
what to do after errase all content and settings???

you are experiencing what is called a SWOD (Spinning Wheel Of Death). All is not lost! What you’ll need to do is get it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode and restore.

This is the easiest way to boot into DFU mode:

* Plug iPhone into PC (or Mac)
* Press-and-hold the sleep button and home button until the device force-powers off. (about 10 seconds)
* Release the sleep button, but still hold the home button. Do this until you hear the device connected sound on the computer.
* You may now release the home button, to test that it works, go into iTunes, it should say that an iPhone is connected, and has to be restored.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I understand the "Erase All Settings" will undo the jailbreak, but does anybody know if the "Reset All Settings" will undo the jailbreak as well? I'm having issues getting the new carrier file installed on my 3gs running 3.0.1 and I want to give this a shot. "Reset Network Settings" didn't undo my jailbreak but it also didn't fix my problem.

majorboner82

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
help please!

It's been 12 hours since I erased all the contents and settings of my unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2g 8gb. All I'm seeing is the Spinning Wheel of Death! Does it really take that long?! It's been 12 hours. Please help!:confused:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you want to clean it up, just restore to official Apple IPSW (unless you want to re-JB and unlock), then choose set up as new.

It is not necessary to waste time (like 12 hours) on this.

The end result is the same.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It's been 12 hours since I erased all the contents and settings of my unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2g 8gb. All I'm seeing is the Spinning Wheel of Death! Does it really take that long?! It's been 12 hours. Please help!:confused:

On the 2G and 3G it overwrites the entire memory with 0's, so it takes quite a while. I'm not sure about 12 hours, though. Give it another couple of hours, then try to put it in DFU mode.

neonbright

macrumors member

That happned to me with my first 3GS and I had to make it go into DFU mode after about 12 hours, to get it to connect to iTunes. It contine to act up so I exchange it out with Apple but the new phone iboot.

leott

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
12 hours +....no luck

I'm having the same problem? Were you able to fix this???:apple:

reevancouver

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Iphone 4

I have bought an iphone4. i tried to sync with itunes but itunes does not recognise the iphone.
then i erase all content and settings. and now it says connect to itunes. but itunes does not recognize. what should i do?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I have bought an iphone4. i tried to sync with itunes but itunes does not recognise the iphone.
then i erase all content and settings. and now it says connect to itunes. but itunes does not recognize. what should i do?

Try putting it in DFU mode and restore. Next time try not to reply to an old ass thread, just make a new one.

DanielPM

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011

How lond did it take you to erase all contect and settings?

jauser

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Won't lose unlock for which one?

I do not recommend resetting all content and settings because it can take a long to do. Sometimes multiple hours.

You will not lose your unlock, but you will lose the jailbreak software because you are restoring the software back to factory settings.

So do you mean that you won't lose your unlock for [Erase All Settings] or was it [Reset All Settings]?

Sek87

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
Question

I did the "erase content and settings" without a sim card in the phone, so I pressed ok for the reset and it did its thing, with the apple logo and progress bar and then it restarted the phone and what not and I came to the "set-up iPhone" crap and because I didn't have a sim card in it I couldn't actually get past the set up. I just want to know whether or not my content was erased because I sold my phone and shipped it off and I really don't want there to be any content on it...

tracer101

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Serious Question

Hi, so today I jailbroke my ipad and cannot stand it. If I press reset all settings will it do the same as system restore in itunes? I've already backed it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.