Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AwesomeUJK

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Will I be able to restore my contacts after factory resetting

hi everyone,
I have an iphone 4s running on IOS 6.0.1, i recently jailbroke it and last time since my cydia was crashing, i accidentally deleted some cydia files in Ifile. Now my cydia app won't even open. So that's why i wanted to reset my Iphone in order to remove jailbreak and then re install it. the problem which I'm facing right now is that after the factory reset, will i be able to restore my contacts from itunes???? please reply ASAP, i would be very happy to hear a reply soon

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
hi everyone,
I have an iphone 4s running on IOS 6.0.1, i recently jailbroke it and last time since my cydia was crashing, i accidentally deleted some cydia files in Ifile. Now my cydia app won't even open. So that's why i wanted to reset my Iphone in order to remove jailbreak and then re install it. the problem which I'm facing right now is that after the factory reset, will i be able to restore my contacts from itunes???? please reply ASAP, i would be very happy to hear a reply soon

If you restore you will lose jailbreak and not be able to jailbreak again. Maybe you can just run the evasi0n tool again to reinstall cydia.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
hi everyone,

this is the cydia deb file but i don't know how much that'll help you: http://apt.saurik.com/cydia/debs/cydia_1.1.8_iphoneos-arm.deb

do you have an idea of what essential cydia stuff you uninstalled?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
mine stays at the spinning circle for all eternity and if i hard reset in the middle its like nothing ever happened

NigelHRX

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
i have actually press the erase all content and settings will it still be possible to retrieve an old file?

bblinde

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
If you go to Settings>General>Reset and tap Erase All Content & Settings your phone will revert back to the condition it was in when you first took it out of the box. You have to go back through the setup screens and reactivate it. You then have the option to restore to a backup if you have one, or set it up as a new iPhone. If you do the latter there will be nothing on it. If you're saying that your apps were still there, you must have done something else, or synced them back to your phone using iTunes.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
If you go to Settings>General>Reset and tap Erase All Content & Settings your phone will revert back to the condition it was in when you first took it out of the box. You have to go back through the setup screens and reactivate it. You then have the option to restore to a backup if you have one, or set it up as a new iPhone. If you do the latter there will be nothing on it. If you're saying that your apps were still there, you must have done something else, or synced them back to your phone using iTunes.

That feature doesn't work when your device is jailbroken

gutierezz

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
It will erase all your personal data and system caches. But this method doesn't work on jailbroken devices.

KatrinaAlona

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2017

Hi there. I did that to my Iphone 5s after erasing all contents and settings. Through itunes, I updated and restored my iphone. Before erasing my iphone, I can go to my home and use my apps even without simcard. But after I erased everything and updating and restoring, it keeps on asking me to insert sim card. And it won't let me use my apps anymore. What to do now? Please help me.
[doublepost=1493089256][/doublepost]
what to do after errase all content and settings???

you are experiencing what is called a SWOD (Spinning Wheel Of Death). All is not lost! What you’ll need to do is get it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode and restore.

This is the easiest way to boot into DFU mode:

* Plug iPhone into PC (or Mac)
* Press-and-hold the sleep button and home button until the device force-powers off. (about 10 seconds)
* Release the sleep button, but still hold the home button. Do this until you hear the device connected sound on the computer.
* You may now release the home button, to test that it works, go into iTunes, it should say that an iPhone is connected, and has to be restored.

Hi there. I did that to my Iphone 5s after erasing all contents and settings. Through itunes, I updated and restored my iphone. Before erasing my iphone, I can go to my home and use my apps even without simcard. But after I erased everything and updating and restoring, it keeps on asking me to insert sim card. And it won't let me use my apps anymore. What to do now? Please help me.
[doublepost=1493089523][/doublepost]
Question

I did the "erase content and settings" without a sim card in the phone, so I pressed ok for the reset and it did its thing, with the apple logo and progress bar and then it restarted the phone and what not and I came to the "set-up iPhone" crap and because I didn't have a sim card in it I couldn't actually get past the set up. I just want to know whether or not my content was erased because I sold my phone and shipped it off and I really don't want there to be any content on it...
Were you able to fix this problem. I have the same problem too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.