Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

182123-shot1.jpg

id Software's original iPhone game Doom Resurrection [App Store] was released into the App Store earlier today. The Doom 3 inspired game offers a first person shooting experience that's been adapted to the iPhone. From a TouchArcade review of the game:
The best compliment I can offer to Doom Resurrection is that despite some controversial changes, it "feels" like Doom and is a lot of fun. And as a reviewer, there are games I have to play to the end and games I want to play to the end, and Doom Resurrection easily fell in the latter category. The game makes good use of the Doom 3 graphics and audio to provide an immersive game that sucks you in for the duration.
The player's movements in the game are scripted while the aiming/shooting is controlled by the accelerometer. This video shows the game in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t67QravCrbE

Article Link: Doom Resurrection Available for iPhone and iPod Touch

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Why would anyone be interested in one of the biggest game franchises in the world entering the iphone market? It's not like id invented the fps genre or anything.

Bye x

Because it's an "on rails" fps. It flies in the face of what a fps is. It's a huge disappointment. I'm not picking this up at that price. I would rather have the controls that were in Wolfenstein. As it is, I'll wait until Livefire comes out.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
dam, $9.99

REALLY?! you are going to complain about almost 10 bucks? wow...

10 dollars is cheap for games that include updates and etc. you should be happy that the standard right now IS 10 bucks and not 25 dollars or higher atm.

apple gamers are the worst.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I thought it would be more like the original Doom. Rails? Really wtf?
Though still oddly tempted.

Edit: I am saving my cash. Original Doom is due out (date unknown) and it won't be on rails.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
You know what I meant by that, right? House of the Dead, the game where it runs "on rails" but you aim and shoot with a light gun...

Actually, now that I think of it - it would fit well comparing it to House of the Dead. GJ! Forgot about that game...

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
The player's movements in the game are scripted

Weird. Don't know how much fun it would be to play Doom where the computer decides where to move for me. You're just waiting for it to move you to the next location so you can aim and shoot things. Doesn't seem that exciting for $9.99 honestly.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
You know what I meant by that, right? House of the Dead, the game where it runs "on rails" but you aim and shoot with a light gun...

Yeah that's how I'm thinking of it... I actually love that style of games, so am gonna pick this one up tonight after work!

To be honest I prefer the "on rails" style to having awkward controls and difficult gameplay.

To me Halo on an Xbox was really bad in terms of controls (in my view you really need a mouse and keyboard for 1st person shooters...) so given that stance... I think the iPod Touch would be even worse if they tried to give you a complete version of Doom 3 including the controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.