Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nardomang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Long Island, NY
ive recently been looking on craigslist for picking up an iphone. i found one from some kid that lives in a rich neighborhood, so im wondering if its just a kid that wants money because he/she got something else or if its stolen. its a 16gig white iphone 3g for $125... im wondering if there is any way to check to see if the iphone is stolen when i go to check it out? if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
If you still have the box, you should be able to compare the serial number on the box and the one on the phone.

Did you even read the first post?

OP: The only way you're going to be able to tell is if he has all of the original packaging/accessories. Then you'll know it's NOT stolen.

If he doesn't have these things, it means nothing. He could have lost them or gotten the phone from a friend or family member.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
ive recently been looking on craigslist for picking up an iphone. i found one from some kid that lives in a rich neighborhood, so im wondering if its just a kid that wants money because he/she got something else or if its stolen. its a 16gig white iphone 3g for $125... im wondering if there is any way to check to see if the iphone is stolen when i go to check it out? if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated
No formal way to know but there are several clues that it "Might be hot".

1. No box, USB Cable or A/C charging block
2. Phone not charged and the "owner" does not have a clue how to use it
3. No original receipt but it could have been a gift or second-hand already

Note check that the water sensors are not tripped: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

Dave

Nardomang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Long Island, NY
No formal way to know but there are several clues that it "Might be hot".

1. No box, USB Cable or A/C charging block
2. Phone not charged and the "owner" does not have a clue how to use it
3. No original receipt but it could have been a gift or second-hand already

Note check that the water sensors are not tripped: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

Dave

cool thanks everyone...

i have a blackberry bold and was thinking maybe i could just put my sim card in and attempt to make a call or something if that works... make sure the phone isn't locked if it stolen or something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.