Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155013-iphone_3gs_discoloration.jpeg

Reports of overheating and discoloration on the new white iPhone 3GS have been circulating over the past week or so, but a new report [Google translation] from frenchiPhone (via Hardmac) claims that the discoloration is due to contact with some third-party cases and not associated with overheating. The discoloration reportedly can be removed by wiping the back of the iPhone with alcohol.
- After numerous calls to Apple technical service and maintenance of contact with a level 3 (engineer) the problem seems to come not from a hot 3GS but contact with some covers! This was evident by ourselves on a device with a small sticker (a warning not to listen to music too loud) remained stuck, part of the hull below remained white.

- A simple solution to the problem is to clean the back of the iPhone with alcohol, tested by myself I can confirm that it works and reassure you it is safe for your precious
No details have yet been revealed on which third-party cases may be responsible for the discoloration.

Article Link: White iPhone 3GS Discoloration Due to Third-Party Cases, Not Overheating?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Might be time to get some higher quality chassis materials. It feels like the yellowing MacBooks all over again.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Ehh, did you actually read the article?
Who isn't going to use a case? Hell who isn't going to buy a Mac without getting a shell for it?

Scratch, fingerprint, and dent city. I need to get some Novus Polish for my MacBook.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
Can the protective cases even be the cause of the overheating? Most of plastic or rubber will certainly insulate the heat inside the device and not dissipate it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Haha, people need to apologize to Apple and blame the case manufacturers. Lol.

YAY! I just hope my Griffin Reveal don't cause this on my white 3G S.

Nodnarb

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Ok. So we can use alcohol. But what do we use to apply/wipe it with? Lint-free cloth, tissue, etc..?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Can the protective cases even be the cause of the overheating? Most of plastic or rubber will certainly insulate the heat inside the device and not dissipate it.
Just wipe off the iPhone w/ alcohol and keep it moving...lol.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
That's probably why we don't hear about overheating from black iPhones.

Something similar happened with my Macbook, except instead of a case, the dye from my jeans rubbed off on it. :(

Unless the case covers all the openings... I don't think so. I have been using plastic, silicone and rubber cases for a year now with no overheating (that I know of).

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Who isn't going to use a case? Hell who isn't going to buy a Mac without getting a shell for it?

Scratch, fingerprint, and dent city. I need to get some Novus Polish for my MacBook.

Do I have these cases? Yes. Do I use them? No. People need to get over their OCD and just use devices.

But this isn't because of poor Apple quality - this is a white device getting dirty no matter what.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands

Eh, me? What's the point of protecting the case if you don't see it anyway? If I have to choose between an ugly case or a few scratches you only see from short distance, it's simple for me.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008

Uh, me for one. Cases take away from the innate sexiness and the invisible skins don't feel right. Despite my old 3G's nudity, it didn't gain a scratch last year. If someone as clumsy as me can get away without a case anyone can.

My Macbook Pro also kicks it in the buff and looks flawless.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
My white 3GS has 2 small marks from the case, it hasn't really bothered me, but now it is widespread, I wonder how I can best get it off? What product to people recommend most for cleaning it?

Outsider

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
North Carolina

Most iPhones I've seen have cases on them. I have never seen a Mac laptop with one of those skin/protectors on it. I've worked at companies with dozens or , in some cases, hundreds of Mac laptops.

When I get my iPhone, I'll be getting a case/skin for it. But I'll also be getting the black one ;)

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
soon enough....

People will report their hot iPhones and the cases. I bet the heavy cases are not helping if folks have them sitting in their cars under sunlight using GPS.

patrickvanzandt

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
U.S.A.
Uh, me for one. Cases take away from the innate sexiness and the invisible skins don't feel right. Despite my old 3G's nudity, it didn't gain a scratch last year. If someone as clumsy as me can get away without a case anyone can.

My Macbook Pro also kicks it in the buff and looks flawless.

My thoughts exactly. I have never understood the obsession of some iPhone users with keeping their precious device in an ugly case. It's like buying a new car, then leaving it in the garage all the time because you're afraid of a scratch. Both my iPhone and iPhone 3G have survived for year of usage without a case and nothing but very minor scratches.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Remember to only use Apple-approved alcohol

Armadale is recommended. Smirnoff will upset your iPhone's finish. But you were thinking Everclear, weren't you? Shame on you, you should buy a Palm Pre.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
the case shown in that picture is a sena ultraslim case. i had that exact same case with my white iphone 3g. i can agree than when putting a warm phone in the case that it would get even hotter. it makes sense that it would get. my phone would only get hot when i would run two ram intense applications at the same time. i love the ultraslim case though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.