Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
Cases - meh

Who isn't going to use a case? Hell who isn't going to buy a Mac without getting a shell for it?

Scratch, fingerprint, and dent city. I need to get some Novus Polish for my MacBook.

I just don't get why people feel the need to cover phones etc with crappy covers that take away from the overall design of the device.

Get over it - it's just a bloody phone that is totally scratch proof on the front (unless you seriously set out to deface it) and whilst the back does get scratched, so what ????

Mine has survived multiple drops including onto concrete - it's one of the best built phones around.

Sorry for the rant but phone covers and holders are just so 90's !

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't read this whole thread, but if it's the covers causing this discolorization, why didn't we experience this with the white 3G's?

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
No details have yet been revealed on which third-party cases may be responsible for the discoloration.

Hmm, if it can be wiped off, still calling it "discoloration" makes little sense?

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Who isn't going to use a case? Hell who isn't going to buy a Mac without getting a shell for it?

Scratch, fingerprint, and dent city. I need to get some Novus Polish for my MacBook.

+3 or whatever - I run my business on Macs as well as several at home. NEVER used any of the tacky add on protective stuff - my gear is used daily - reasonable care is exercised - there are no dents / scratches / issues. My upgrade cycle tends to run about three - four years - no garage queens here and they hold up very very well.

My 3G S - only a single screen protector - still not sure I needed that but I succumbed :rolleyes:

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
i am sure it is important to those affected, but seriously, something else besides the iPhone

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Another thing I don't understand is how everyone poo-poo'd the original Fox News report of the discolorization, saying it probably wasn't true and it was from an illegit news source. However, now, some obscure French blog says otherwise and now everyone is all relieved? I'm certainly not wishing ill-will towards people's purchases, but let's use some common sense and just see how this plays out. The translation said he got this info from the Apple tech line. Of course, they were going to blame it on something else.

iphoneftw

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't read this whole thread, but if it's the covers causing this discolorization, why didn't we experience this with the white 3G's?

we didnt expierience it cause its not true and also maybe because the iphone 3g has a less powerfull processor

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Please explain this.

I think he means "aesthetic" or "esthetic," not atheistic.

But, in his defense, I did start complaining about scuffs and scratches on my iPhone when I stopped believing in God. Odd, that. Maybe it was the solace of prayer that kept me silent before.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I just don't get why people feel the need to cover phones etc with crappy covers that take away from the overall design of the device.

Get over it - it's just a bloody phone that is totally scratch proof on the front (unless you seriously set out to deface it) and whilst the back does get scratched, so what ????

Mine has survived multiple drops including onto concrete - it's one of the best built phones around.

Sorry fir the rant but phone covers and holders are just so 90's !

1) Covers help with the grip and also cushion a fall if it does drop. The iPhone case doesn't exactly stick to your hand. Your's may have survived drops onto concrete, but it's all about physics. If it drops at the wrong angle or height it will break. It's not indestructible.

2) Scratches and dents are ugly and unprofessional looking.

I have a black silicon skin. Not really sure what is so "90s" about it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Seems iPhone quality isn't the problem (like sensible people have been saying), but rather, poor-quality cases. And there are planty of lousy cases out there.

And by the way, who the hell uses a shell with a Macbook?? Phones I can understand, but people really need to take better care of their notebooks.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
beautiful products dont deserve ugly cases thats the reason to go naked

Sadly after denting my 2G 2 days before it was meant to be sold, my 3GS is going in a case.

I bought it because it is a good phone, and it is useful to me, not to show off or have it as a fashion thing as most of the people I know.

It is a tool, not a fashion statement. I want to keep it pristine and protected to A) Keep the warranty and B) Keep its resale value.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i'm anti-case for iPhone / iPod Touch

I was in two minds about getting a case for my iPhone, but decided not to bother as I too thought it seemed crazy to have such a nice looking device and keep it hidden away in a case - 6 months on and there is hardly a scratch on it - I think the materials they use seem to be getting far better.

Sorry for the rant but phone covers and holders are just so 90's !

i totally agree. apple charges a premium for their designs, why hide it and make it bulky? i never bought a case for my 2nd gen. iPod Touch, even though i tried (all the cases i bought were ugly or just made the device more difficult to use). now after over a year of riding bare in my pocket or being tossed around elsewhere, the device is still completely fine.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I think he means "aesthetic" or "esthetic," not atheistic.

But, in his defense, I did start complaining about scuffs and scratches on my iPhone when I stopped believing in God. Odd, that. Maybe it was the solace of prayer that kept me silent before.

In rereading several times, I fear that you are correct. I was hoping for so much more :(

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
1) Covers help with the grip and also cushion a fall if it does drop. The iPhone case doesn't exactly stick to your hand. Your's may have survived drops onto concrete, but it's all about physics. If it drops at the wrong angle or height it will break. It's not indestructible.

2) Scratches and dents are ugly and unprofessional looking.

I have a black silicon skin. Not really sure what is so "90s" about it.

Yes but its a trade off against the look of the phone and the perceived risks which people must make - I haven't used a cover on any phone since my first in the early 90's.

What really gets me though is screen protectors - the iphone has a tempered glass front which is virtually scratchproof !

In my opinion covers and skins are just as ugly as a few scratches etc.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
In rereading several times, I fear that you are correct. I was hoping for so much more :(

Yes. Spelling and post 4th of July not so much of the greatest thing. Safari is auto-correcting and I'm looking at the screen, but I'm not so much reading. But, if you believe in religion then your discoloring will go away, I promise; either that or you will realize there are probably larger issues then your iPhone.

saint.duo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2003
None of my macs have shields/covers on them; though I do have microfiber cloths in between the keyboard and screen when I close them to prevent finger oils from getting on the screens.

My iPhone is in a leather incase belt clip case. Why? Because I keep it clipped to my jeans pocket when I'm not using it, plus it gives me a little grip.

My wife's iPhone has never had a case, just a matte screen cover because she likes the way it looks. Its been dropped a few times (2 years old, got it launch week), but until this weekend it wasn't an issue. Friday she dropped her purse in a parking lot, with the iPhone in it, and it just happened to hit just wrong to smash in the power button and dent the metal around it. Bad luck...
Luckily I just got a 3Gs so I gave her my old first gen iPhone and moved her sim card over. Still no case and I'm not worried about it.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
That makes sense given that the discoloration wasn't occurring on the tapered edges of the back. People thought the discoloration was extending to the outline of the battery, but it was probably the 3rd party case not hugging the tapered edges and only making contact on the flat back!

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA

ME.
I have never bought 'shells' for any of my PowerBooks, MacBooks iBooks or Macbook pros. Neither have I ever used a case for my iPhone 2G , 3G or 3GS and don't plan to either.
MacBooks and iPhones are
made to be naked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.