Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

As I’m going to buy an iPhone 3GS, I’m wondering, are there any other differences between 16 and 32 GB models, except the price and the space? I’ve already got a 32 GB iPod touch, so — if both models for the rest are completely equal — getting a 32 GB one could be an overkill (considering its price in Belgium).

Thanks,
sash

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
the price, the space plus the label on the back says 32gb instead of 16gb...

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Hi,

As I’m going to buy an iPhone 3GS, I’m wondering, are there any other differences between 16 and 32 GB models, except the price and the space? I’ve already got a 32 GB iPod touch, so — if both models for the rest are completely equal — getting a 32 GB one could be an overkill (considering its price in Belgium).

Thanks,
sash

if you're just looking to buy an iphone and don't care about the space on it, get a 16 GB model. there is no difference between the 16 GB and 32 GB apart from storage space.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
if you're just looking to buy an iphone and don't care about the space on it, get a 16 GB model. there is no difference between the 16 GB and 32 GB apart from storage space.

My primal concern is speed and functionality. If 16 GB model only has a lesser space, that’s OK for me.

By the way, those having iPod touch and iPhone: how about the sound quality? I’ve heard iPod‘s sound quality was higher than this of iPhone, is that true?

sash

NelsonSAE

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
My primal concern is speed and functionality. If 16 GB model only has a lesser space, that’s OK for me.

By the way, those having iPod touch and iPhone: how about the sound quality? I’ve heard iPod‘s sound quality was higher than this of iPhone, is that true?

sash

Yes, it is.

But if you really want sound quality, buy Sony (S, E or X series, for instance).
I never really got why Apple does not spent a little more effort on sound quality department. The design is important, but that's not all.
Actually, I found sound quality MUCH more important in a music player than design. But it seems I'm in minority...

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
I think the iPhone sounds better than my iPod.
Of course, the stock headphones are terrible, you can pick up high quality iPhone headphones with a mic these days.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yes, it is.

But if you really want sound quality, buy Sony (S, E or X series, for instance).

LOL, Sony.

Anyway, the assertion that the iPod touch has better sound quality than the iPhone is based on old info. The later iPod touch models had a newer chipset, slightly faster processor and an arguably superior DSP than the iPhone 1st Gen and 3G, and on that basis, the claim was made that audio playback sounded better on the iPod touches.

However, the 3GS has a yet-newer chipset and more capable processors than even the current iPod touch models. The problem is, I don't think anyone has publicly revealed what DSP is in the 3GS, and whether it's viewed as better than current iPod touch models, though you'd think there should be an improvement. It would stand to reason that if everything else is being beefed up on the 3GS, the DSP would be equal to, if not besting the current-generation iPod Touch.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
isn't it the same phone with a bigger HARD DRIVE?

Technically its a flash drive, so a same phone with a bigger solid state drive

Yes. Both phones have the same amount of memory, it is just the storage space that is bigger.

FYI for people who aren't "in the know," memory in electronic devices is a very specific word and is synonymous with RAM.

NelsonSAE

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
LOL, Sony.

Anyway, (...)

Have you ever actually listened to a Sony?... I suspect you haven't.

Besides, you can read reviews regarding this item (sound quality) from independent sources and you'll see everyone will say Sony has better (even much better, in some cases) sound.

This is not a Sony versus Apple thing (actually I like both brands) - it is just a simple fact anyone can confirm by actually trying the devices.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
All my Sonys are definitely better in the audio department but they're also all terrible to use.

I'll take ease of use over relatively negligible sound differences.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
isn't it the same phone with a bigger HARD DRIVE?

Technically its a flash drive, so a same phone with a bigger solid state drive

and a flash drive is memory so my statement is accurate. The 32gb phone is identical to the 16gb except you get 16gb more memory.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Actually, I found sound quality MUCH more important in a music player than design. But it seems I'm in minority...

Then plug it into some speakers. It sounds great.

"Quality" and "Tiny Speakers" are never going to go in the same sentence, so there's literally nothing they can build into the iPhone that will be that great. If quality matters to you, then you should buy a pair of nice headphones or a docking station with built in speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.